The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 18, 2001, 07:26pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Ump20
Smile

I just realized that with this post I earn my wings as a “Senior Member”. Apparently all that is required is quantity rather than quality. Once you reach 100 posts you qualify. I hope with some of these 100 posts I have contributed to the dialogue we all wish for when we visit. Others may have simply entertained and no doubt a few just took up valuable space. This may cover all three bases.

Quote:
The most exciting play that took place in a game between the 1989 Mets and Giants was a no play.

Ernie Riles of the Giants was on first base and Kirt Manwaring was the batter with two out. Randy Myers, the relief pitcher for the Mets, stretched, checked the runner, and threw to the plate. Riles broke on the pitch. Manwaring swung at the offering and missed, and catcher Barry Lyons trying to throw out Riles at second base, threw the ball into center field.

Riles bounced up from his slide and bolted towards third base. Seeing the third-base coach waving him home, he rounded third and raced to home plate. In the meantime, center fielder Lenny Dykstra picked up the errant throw and fired a strike to catcher Lyons, who tagged the sliding Riles for the fourth out of the inning.

Manwaring’s swinging strike was the third out of the inning. But Riles, Lyons, Dykstra, and home plate umpire Jerry Layne lost track of the number of outs. Sheepishly, Riles said afterwards he was practicing his base running, Lyons claimed he was practicing his throws to second base, Dykstra contended he was practicing his throws to home plate, and Layne asserted he was practicing his out call.

- from Big League Baseball Puzzlers by Dom Forker – Sterling Publishing

I find it gratifying to note that umpires a whole lot better than I, have and will continue to screw up. Sometimes in our zest to improve our ability on the field and in forums such as this we miss the human side of sport. You may continue to call me Jim despite my new ranking among elite umpires who use the Internet to enhance their umpiring skills. Of course my wife says it is because I’m addicted and have no real friends! - Jim from NYC
Old Sun Mar 18, 2001, 07:52pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by Ump20
I just realized that with this post I earn my wings as a “Senior Member”. Apparently all that is required is quantity rather than quality. Once you reach 100 posts you qualify.
Darn. And I thought it was because I had turned 50! (grin)

Quote:

I find it gratifying to note that umpires a whole lot better than I, have and will continue to screw up. Sometimes in our zest to improve our ability on the field and in forums such as this we miss the human side of sport. You may continue to call me Jim despite my new ranking among elite umpires who use the Internet to enhance their umpiring skills. Of course my wife says it is because I’m addicted and have no real friends! - Jim from NYC
I always knew I could "screw up" every bit as good as any umpire in "the Show"! See my article entitled "Bloopers - No-one is Immune" for proof positive! (BIG grin) It's in the other abilities where the difference becomes more like chalk and cheese! Welcome to the world of "Seniors", Jim. I wonder if it means we qualify for discounts or something?

Cheers,

[Edited by Warren Willson on Mar 18th, 2001 at 06:55 PM]
Old Mon Mar 19, 2001, 03:13pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down Today's sign that the END is NEAR

When BJ Moose

[famous internet ruminent umpire]

is a "senior" anything!

Mike B
Founder
EWS