The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Apr 14, 2005, 06:12am
Official Forum Member

Wanted to find out how people feel about addressing the manager or head coach by name when dealing with him. Also would you rather have him call you blue or use your name. How many of you find out the catchers name and address him by name during the game.
Old Thu Apr 14, 2005, 06:49am
Official Forum Member

I call the manager and catcher by the first name. I tell them my name, but I don't care (within reason) what they call me.

I don't speak to the assistant coaches.

Old Thu Apr 14, 2005, 07:54am
Official Forum Member

Hmmmm,

My name is not Blue.

50% of the time when I umpire I wear colors other than Blue.

I always call catchers and coaches by their first names.

I can not talk to assistant coaches as they do not exist.
Old Thu Apr 14, 2005, 09:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by my3sons
Wanted to find out how people feel about addressing the manager or head coach by name when dealing with him. Also would you rather have him call you blue or use your name. How many of you find out the catchers name and address him by name during the game.
I address all coaches as coach ____.

I know their name, and they know mine.

I dont' worry about the catcher's name although I do know most of them just from working with them.

I don't talk with assistant coaches once the game starts.

Thanks
David

Old Thu Apr 14, 2005, 09:18am
Official Forum Member

I know many of the coaches from "outside" the game field. As a result, I address them always a "coach" while I'm working a game. This prevents the look of unprofessionalism when I'm calling one coach by the first name, cause I know him, and not the other coach. On the field he's the coach, not my buddy.

I don't have a problem being called "blue" either. I prefer it in fact. They call me by my first name, and it sends chills down my spine. Off the field, okay, but not when I working a game. It may be just me, but I'm the umpire when I'm on the field...that's my title, that's what I want to be called. Calling me by my first name on the field is crossing the line to me.

Just my opinion, and preference.
Old Thu Apr 14, 2005, 09:35am
Official Forum Member

AND,

I make the effort to KNOW BOTH COACHES first names.

My name is not "Blue" -- I do not care for the term.

I think some of us are too self important (From the back row, Tee jumping up-and down, "Me, me, me").
Old Thu Apr 14, 2005, 09:43am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Smile

During the pregame, I always introduce myself to the umpires by name. If the umpires choose to offer theirs (sometimes they do, sometimes they don't), I do my best to remember them.

When I have occasion to address the umpires during the game, I will use their name if they offered it; otherwise I will use "Blue" (even if they're wearing a RED shirt) or "Ump".

Sometimes the umpires will address me by name, but it's usually "Coach". Either way is fine by me.

To me, using the person's name tends to set a more "gentlemanly" tone to any discussion we might have.

JM
Old Thu Apr 14, 2005, 10:21am
Official Forum Member

I occasionally use the coaches first name, but usually it's just "coach".

I actually prefer the term "blue". It's what I used to refer to the umpires as when I played. Some may not like the term and that is certainly there perogative.

I always introduce myself by name to the coaches. The only way you get playoff games here is if the coaches recommend you and they can only do that if they know your name.
Well I am certainly wiser than this man. It is only too likely that neither of us has any knowledge to boast of; but he thinks that he knows something which he does not know, whereas I am quite conscious of my ignorance. At any rate it seems that I am wiser than he is to this small extent, that I do not think that I know what I do not know. ~Socrates
Old Thu Apr 14, 2005, 10:24am
Official Forum Member

Kaliix,

Pragmatic, but accurate.

I sometimes try to slip in "Skip" or "Skipper" rats seems to like that.
Old Thu Apr 14, 2005, 10:40am
Official Forum Member

Re: Kaliix,

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim C
Pragmatic, but accurate.

that's funny but true.

Also, I just love it at a few of our larger schools where they want to send the little asst. coach (just out of college) to the pregame to make them look so proper or whatever.

I always hate that I have to say and "now the head coach's name is ______ and that's who we'll be talking to if we have a problem etc.,"

Thanks
David
Old Thu Apr 14, 2005, 10:50am
Official Forum Member

I write the managers'name on the lineup card. I make noteof the catcher's name as I can. I give my name to the managers and usually they call me by name. If a manger calls me "blue" I do respond but I remind them of my name.

Assistant coaches? What is that - a new food group?
Old Thu Apr 14, 2005, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

Talking Assistants

Quote:
Originally posted by David B
Quote:
Originally posted by Tim C
Pragmatic, but accurate.

that's funny but true.

Also, I just love it at a few of our larger schools where they want to send the little asst. coach (just out of college) to the pregame to make them look so proper or whatever.

I always hate that I have to say and "now the head coach's name is ______ and that's who we'll be talking to if we have a problem etc.,"

Thanks
David
"little asst. coach (just out of college)", we have a couple of HS head coaches that fit this descrpition. Hell, for one of the teams I thought that it was a player in the 3B box.

I'll refer to them as "Coach" during the game, and will answer to "Blue", but would prefer "Mr. Blue".
Old Thu Apr 14, 2005, 12:32pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by my3sons
Always first name. I always try to find out their first names before meeting them, whether by Internet or from one of their players.
Old Thu Apr 14, 2005, 12:41pm
Official Forum Member

does the informalities change with the situation? Is it "That's enough John" or is it "That's enough, coach"
Old Thu Apr 14, 2005, 12:44pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by scyguy
does the informalities change with the situation? Is it "That's enough John" or is it "That's enough, coach"
Nope. No change for me. Why should there be?