The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 19, 2005, 11:20pm
Official Forum Member

Hi guys im new to this side of the forum..just got my baseball license in IN this year....i was watchin a friend do a game and catcher asks umpire how many outs he tells the catcher two..next batter pops to short right field, second baseman makes the catch and doesnt worry bout lookin around just jogs to the dugout dropping the ball on the way by the mound... in the mean time the runner on third scores...the batting team says there was only one out...umpires get together and determine there was only one out at the time the play began so the catch would only have made two outs....would the runner on third have to go back because of the error of the homeplate umpire telling the catcher two outs or does the run stand and you go from there..

thanks in advance
IURef
Old Wed Apr 20, 2005, 12:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by IURef
Hi guys im new to this side of the forum..just got my baseball license in IN this year....i was watchin a friend do a game and catcher asks umpire how many outs he tells the catcher two..next batter pops to short right field, second baseman makes the catch and doesnt worry bout lookin around just jogs to the dugout dropping the ball on the way by the mound... in the mean time the runner on third scores...the batting team says there was only one out...umpires get together and determine there was only one out at the time the play began so the catch would only have made two outs....would the runner on third have to go back because of the error of the homeplate umpire telling the catcher two outs or does the run stand and you go from there..

thanks in advance
IURef
What a class A SNAFU. Run scores. Umpires take the heat. I assume 2B got his info from catcher who probably announced "2 outs" to the rest of the defense.
Old Wed Apr 20, 2005, 02:09am
Official Forum Member

Hey, why not use an indicator? jeez.

Yeah, umpires eat that one. Or what: declare an extra out to cover their butts?
Old Wed Apr 20, 2005, 07:11am
Official Forum Member

This is ugly but could have been much worse if there were more runners. I have several questions here:
Where is BU during all this?
Did he also think there was two outs?
Did the guy on third tag up or run thinking there was two outs?
Did the defense appeal he left early ( if he did ) and did PU see this ( probably not, thinking 2 outs )?
Doesn't each team have a responsibility to know the outs?

These are rhetorical questions since you probably don't know the answers. It just gives me pause for thought.

PU will take the heat on this without knowing any more info about his partner's role.

The bottom line is the run scores and the ball is live until PU wakes up and realizes there are only two outs.
Sheffield Lake, Ohio