The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Apr 14, 2005, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member

JV H.S. Game. I am PU. During the game several close calls. One of which is a runner overunning 1st base and turning to go when the ball got by F3. He changed his mind and went back to 1st only to be tagged by F3 before he got there. BU looks at me and makes no call. I say nothing and he calls me out. Offense is screaming safe, Defense is screaming out ( what a surprise ! ).We consult and he says he didn't see the turn ( what WAS he watching? ). I assure him that the runner made the motion, saw the ball, and realized he couldn't make it. In turning he became eligible to be put out. We seperate and he makes the " out " call. Bottom of 7th inning and this team, which was up by 9 runs, now gives up 10 and loses. I am anxious to leave. My partner is standing between the plate and the rubber watching teams shake hands. I call to him by name twice thinking he is looking for me. He waits til coaches have finished with each other and he waves goodbye to the losing coach. Now Coach has the time to question our call. He politely asks and I tell him I saw play differently than my partner and when he asked for help I gave it. Coach goes ballistic, says that's bu*****t, and starts on me. I start to walk away and my " partner ' starts jawing with him trying to explain rule on runner overunning 1st. When we finally meet up in the parking lot, he tells me I shouldn't pi** off coaches like that. I walked away and left him there still talking to himself. There is a lot more I could share about this guy like him " forgetting " his cup and asking me to do the plate, after I was already dressed for the field, him jawing with the fans on the 1st base fence - during the game in A position, etc.

Questions: Was I wrong to want to get out of there?

Was I wrong to explain my decision once I got stuck there?

Was I wrong to leave my jawing partner ( after I repeatedly tried to get him to leave with me )?

Also please give any insight into what else I should have or should not have done.

Thanks in advance.
Sheffield Lake, Ohio
Old Thu Apr 14, 2005, 01:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by officialtony

Was I wrong to leave my jawing partner ( after I repeatedly tried to get him to leave with me )?

Also please give any insight into what else I should have or should not have done.

Thanks in advance.
1.It amazes me the number of officials that want to stand around to get some type of "good job" or words of praise from the coach. Do your job, give the extra balls to the home coach and go home.

2. The coach asked , you explained. too bad if he did'nt like the explanation. You were professional and truthful about it. It is the coaches personal problem.

3. At that point, NO. If your partner wants to play politician, thats his personal problem.

One thing you failed to do. Call your assignor and ask him never to schedule you with that official again.
Old Thu Apr 14, 2005, 01:26pm
Official Forum Member

I leave the field as fast as practicable, never discussing the game with anyone other than my partner once I exit the fence.

That would be my last game with that guy, ever.
Old Thu Apr 14, 2005, 01:33pm
Official Forum Member

Exclamation

Similar sitch happened to me yesterday, except w/o the fireworks. Home Team down 4-1 going into the Bottom of the 7th. I'm BU. No problems during the game, and home team comes back to win 5-4, all w/ 2 outs in the 7th. As I'm running to meet my PU so we can run off the field, he looks at me and goes "hold on a second, I like to wait until both teams stop shaking hands so I can say good game to both coaches." I stayed with him so I wouldn't leave him by himself, but does this seem as unreasonable to anyone else as it did to me? I mean as he went over to the losing team's coaches who were just standing in the dugout after just losing a heartbreaking conference game, I was just praying that fireworks wouldn't happen. What would everyone else have done here?

Further, change the sitch for a second..what if some problem had come up during the game, and your PU wanted to do the same thing? What then, because I obviously don't want to leave my partner, but I don't want to be sticking around either!
Old Thu Apr 14, 2005, 01:35pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by jicecone
Quote:

Thanks in advance.
1.It amazes me the number of officials that want to stand around to get some type of "good job" or words of praise from the coach. Do your job, give the extra balls to the home coach and go home.

2. The coach asked , you explained. too bad if he did'nt like the explanation. You were professional and truthful about it. It is the coaches personal problem.

3. At that point, NO. If your partner wants to play politician, thats his personal problem.

One thing you failed to do. Call your assignor and ask him never to schedule you with that official again.
I work the plate, I'm walking off the field after the game's over. If my partner wants to stick around, he'll realize soon enough I didn't stay and wait for him.

I don't expect praise after a game, nor do I want to put myself in a position like this.
Old Thu Apr 14, 2005, 01:47pm
Official Forum Member

Yep,

Just as with Rich, when I am PU I usually roll the balls towards the home dugout and walk from the field.

I do not hang around looking for praise.

When I am the BU I head to my partner . . . if he selects to hang around (we all know those guys) I will walk off the field alone.
Old Thu Apr 14, 2005, 02:30pm
Official Forum Member

Gents,
Thank you very much for your replies.
I hesitate to call my assignor, because I am new in THIS association. I switched because of geography this year, and I don't want to start out causing grief. However, I do not want to work with him again, and the only way that is going to happen is to tell my assignor why. How do most assignors respond to this kind of feedback - especially from the new guy?
Thanks again for the feedback. I have always had my partner's back in every situation, and I didn't like leaving him there. It was most uncomfortable. And I don't want to get the reputation ( when he tells his side of the story that I left him ) that I am not a team guy.
In any event thanks for the feedback.

[Edited by officialtony on Apr 14th, 2005 at 03:33 PM]
Sheffield Lake, Ohio
Old Thu Apr 14, 2005, 02:36pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

Amazing verbage of the week award!

Quote:
He waits til coaches have finished with each other and he waves goodbye to the losing coach.
Bye! Bye! See Ya! So long! Thanks for having me! Have a nice day! barf...
Old Thu Apr 14, 2005, 02:40pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Peruvian Send a message via Yahoo to Peruvian
Quote:
Gents,
Thank you very much for your replies.
I hesitate to call my assignor, because I am new in THIS association. I switched because of geography this year, and I don't want to start out causing grief. However, I do not want to work with him again, and the only way that is going to happen is to tell my assignor why. How do most assignors respond to this kind of feedback - especially from the new guy?
Go to your assignor, board, whatever. If your association has a greivance commitee, that is the place to go.
Old Thu Apr 14, 2005, 02:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
JV H.S. Game. I am PU. During the game several close calls. One of which is a runner overunning 1st base and turning to go when the ball got by F3. He changed his mind and went back to 1st only to be tagged by F3 before he got there. BU looks at me and makes no call. I say nothing and he calls me out. Offense is screaming safe, Defense is screaming out ( what a surprise ! ).We consult and he says he didn't see the turn ( what WAS he watching? ). I assure him that the runner made the motion, saw the ball, and realized he couldn't make it. In turning he became eligible to be put out. We seperate and he makes the " out " call. Bottom of 7th inning and this team, which was up by 9 runs, now gives up 10 and loses. I am anxious to leave. My partner is standing between the plate and the rubber watching teams shake hands. I call to him by name twice thinking he is looking for me. He waits til coaches have finished with each other and he waves goodbye to the losing coach. Now Coach has the time to question our call. He politely asks and I tell him I saw play differently than my partner and when he asked for help I gave it. Coach goes ballistic, says that's bu*****t, and starts on me. I start to walk away and my " partner ' starts jawing with him trying to explain rule on runner overunning 1st. When we finally meet up in the parking lot, he tells me I shouldn't pi** off coaches like that. I walked away and left him there still talking to himself. There is a lot more I could share about this guy like him " forgetting " his cup and asking me to do the plate, after I was already dressed for the field, him jawing with the fans on the 1st base fence - during the game in A position, etc.

No

Yes, the game is over. Let sleeping dogs lie or die or what ever it is that sleeping dogs do.

I wouldn't have given him the time of day. I would have just gone to my car and started to undress. If he wants to talk now, he can talk to the clouds or the sun, but he is not talking to me.

I know SMITTY and I have worked with him!!!!
Old Thu Apr 14, 2005, 03:45pm
Official Forum Member

Tony, you are in a tough crack. First, to your questions:

No, you were not wrong to want to get gone. Like Tee, as PU I'm firing the leftovers at the home dugout and moving "with a purpose" toward the gate. If I haven't already seen him heading the same way, I'll look back over my shoulder to make sure he's not hung up somehow, but if anyone wants to complement me, they'll do it while I'm moving or come see me in the parking lot. As BU, I'm moving with the same purpose directly from my last position to the same gate my partner is headed for, with the same over-the-shoulder look if PU isn't at the gate ahead of me. Fortunately, I'm senior enough that if I have a partner who seems tempted to linger, I can give him the "giddyapgo" signal to get the heck out of Dodge. Everyone more senior than I will be at the gate ahead of me, and I move pretty fast; sorta speaks to the issue, don't it? I appreciate that you are not so empowered.

BTW, we do NOT watch the handshake ritual, much less participate in it; and "waving" bye-bye at a losing coach is a potential disciplinary offense where I work. Taunting, don'tcha know?

No, you were not wrong to answer the coaches' inquiry, once you found yourself trapped. In general, I believe people ought not ask questions if they don't want to hear the answers. Coach has a personal problem, as someone else wrote; esp. as YOU didn't make the call: you told BU what you had, and he went with it.

If my partner wants to stand in the middle of the parking lot jawwing, he's gonna do it to my back: I'm on the way to the "locker room" [my car]. He can babble all he wants as I'm changing. Your obligation to have his back [physically] ends at the gate.

You gotta talk to your assignor or some major big dog in your assn. Not so much to get this guy on your avoid list [a consumation devoutly to be wished], as to be sure of what the norms are in your area. Is hanging around to jaw & wave 'bye at the losers the accepted pratice in your association [I doubt it]? Does Bozo make a habit of this? What do THEY recomend that you do about it? Phrase it in terms of your concern for a major stink-storm brewing, esp. w/ the bye-bye, and I bet dollars to donuts they will be receptive and helpful.
Old Thu Apr 14, 2005, 07:16pm
Official Forum Member

Pre-game with a new or unfamiliar partner: "Hey man, I'm outta here right after the last out."
Old Fri Apr 15, 2005, 08:02am
Official Forum Member

All;

A couple of points based on the responses that I read:

1. As an assignor, I got a number of complaints from coaches, especially college coaches, about umpires who roll the balls somewhere after the game, or who leave the balls on the plate. They consider this very disprespectful. They had the decency and common courtesy to assign someone to place each and every one of those balls in your hand or outstretched mask. They expect the same courtesy in return. Give the balls to the assigned ball boy or place them in the game ball box or bucket.

(I know that this may not apply to youth leagues of even low level high school. However, if you want to move up the food chain to NCAA, be advised that this is something that coaches are noticing.)

2. It is generally a waste of time or worse to ask the commissioner not to assign you with certain umpires. However, if you don't want to work with certain umpires, just be obnoxious and standoffish when you work with them. THEY will then ask the assignor not to work with YOU. This only works to your benefit if you are a big dog in your group.

Peter
Old Fri Apr 15, 2005, 08:29am
Official Forum Member

Hahahaha,

PO noted:

"Give the balls to the assigned ball boy or place them in the game ball box or bucket.

(I know that this may not apply to youth leagues of even low level high school. However, if you want to move up the food chain to NCAA, be advised that this is something that coaches are noticing.)"

---------------------------------------------------
Wrong, oh wise one.

I guess all high school baseball in Oregon is "low level" as I have not worked a game in decades that had a bat boy.

I do not enter the home team dugout after the game. Why would I place myself in a potential terrible situation?

Guys, NEVER enter a dugout after a game (unless it is the only exit from the field). Don't set yourself up to fail.

If it is easy to hand the balls to an assistant rat . . . do that -- if not, just roll them towards the bench.

Even Communists can get away with that.

----

BTW Peter, I just called my assignor (he was not that thrilled that I called him a 6:30 am PDT) and asked him that during the last 10 years of assigning (he does both college and high shcool and the college wood bat summer leage and all Legion A and AAA assigning) just how many calls he has had from coaches complaining about how an umpire returned the game balls?

His answer, "hurmp, you woke me up for THAT, never, none, it has never happened."

Must be a geographical issue.

[Edited by Tim C on Apr 15th, 2005 at 09:33 AM]
Old Fri Apr 15, 2005, 09:19am
Official Forum Member

Re: Hahahaha,

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim C
BTW Peter, I just called my assignor (he was not that thrilled that I called him a 6:30 am PDT) and asked him that during the last 10 years of assigning (he does both college and high shcool and the college wood bat summer leage and all Legion A and AAA assigning) just how many calls he has had from coaches complaining about how an umpire returned the game balls?

His answer, "hurmp, you woke me up for THAT, never, none, it has never happened."

Must be a geographical issue.

It is more than a geographical issue. This has been an issue in MLB and minor league ball. More than one MLB umpire has told stories of coaches accusing the umpires of stealing the baseballs. (These complaints go to supervisors.) Umpires from days long gone by have tales to tell about accountablity of baseballs at the highest levels. Placing them in someone's hand shows common courtesy and covers your a$$. (Alternatively, some colleges have a place in the umpires dressing room to leave the balls, towels, etc. Just this week after a game, the game manager picked up the stuff in the locker room from us umpires at the University of Delaware.)

Your assignor was probably half asleep. If the issue of baseballs comes up even in rich Fairfax County, VA - it is definitely coming up other places.

Who said anything about going in the dugout. The ball boy/bat boy is outside the dugout after the game just like everybody else.

Finally, you wrote:

"guess all high school baseball in Oregon is "low level" as I have not worked a game in decades that had a bat boy."

Every college and most of the high school games that I work has someone in charge of the balls (and getting me drinks, etc.) He introduces himself to me before the game and I motion to him when I need more balls. If you do not have this in your leagues, you are culturally inferior, may I say - low level.

Peter