The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 12, 2005, 06:37am
Official Forum Member

Bases loaded, 1 out. Popup to F6, IFF is called, catch is made. R2 had wandered off of the bag, and tries to get back. F4 receives throw with foot on bag prior to R2's return, but ump rules the runner safe since he was not tagged. He said that batter would have been out regardless of whether popup was caught, so R2 had to be tagged off base.
Old Tue Apr 12, 2005, 06:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bwbuddy
Bases loaded, 1 out. Popup to F6, IFF is called, catch is made. R2 had wandered off of the bag, and tries to get back. F4 receives throw with foot on bag prior to R2's return, but ump rules the runner safe since he was not tagged. He said that batter would have been out regardless of whether popup was caught, so R2 had to be tagged off base.
The umpire was wrong. An Infield Fly doesn't remove the runner's responsibility to touch the base after the ball is caught (touched) and it doesn't remove the defense's right to appeal the runner's mistake.

Old Tue Apr 12, 2005, 08:41am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:
Originally posted by bwbuddy
The umpire was wrong. An Infield Fly doesn't remove the runner's responsibility to touch the base after the ball is caught (touched) and it doesn't remove the defense's right to appeal the runner's mistake.

All the IFF rule does is remove the subsequent force on the runners since the batter is out (nobody left to force the runners). You still have to tag up (as in any fly ball) and the defense can still appeal to the base (which is what your play is) for a runner leaving early.

Had the ball dropped and the runners run THEN the runners would have to be tagged as the IFF removes the FORCE.
Old Tue Apr 12, 2005, 09:14am
Official Forum Member

Had an IFF a few weeks ago, R1 and R2, 2B camped under it about 6 -8 feet in the outfield grass directly behind 2B. I called IFF. 2B drops ball!! Ordinary effort? Yes!! Coach says nothing but fans go crazy. They are yelling at me that IFF cannot be called when ball is in the outfield grass. Made for a "fun" four or five minutes. When inning was over, fan nicely asked me about the IFF being caught in the grass. I calmly stated the conditions for IFF and stated that the rule was designed more to protect the runners. In fact, a smart infielder could let the ball fall and double up the runners. He understood, but this old guy was still upset. He said "I seen 5000 game and never seen in called in the grass". I looked at him and said, "get a rulebook, then we can talk".
Old Tue Apr 12, 2005, 09:38am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by scyguy
Had an IFF a few weeks ago, R1 and R2, 2B camped under it about 6 -8 feet in the outfield grass directly behind 2B. I called IFF. 2B drops ball!! Ordinary effort? Yes!! Coach says nothing but fans go crazy. They are yelling at me that IFF cannot be called when ball is in the outfield grass. Made for a "fun" four or five minutes. When inning was over, fan nicely asked me about the IFF being caught in the grass. I calmly stated the conditions for IFF and stated that the rule was designed more to protect the runners. In fact, a smart infielder could let the ball fall and double up the runners. He understood, but this old guy was still upset. He said "I seen 5000 game and never seen in called in the grass". I looked at him and said, "get a rulebook, then we can talk".
I'd tell him he doesn't watch enough baseball then.
Old Tue Apr 12, 2005, 09:56pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim Mills
Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
Quote:
You guys discuss rulings with fans?

If I'm walking to the car and someone's being polite I usually don't ignore them.
Old Tue Apr 12, 2005, 10:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

If they ask nicely, I might discuss a ruling between innings.
Old Wed Apr 13, 2005, 03:32am
Official Forum Member

[/B][/QUOTE]If they ask nicely, I might discuss a ruling between innings. [/B][/QUOTE]

Oh, no! You're kidding, aren't you? You wouldn't really go to the fence to talk to a fan between innings. Say it ain't so, Joe.

Aaarghh!
Old Wed Apr 13, 2005, 08:44am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by DG
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

If they ask nicely, I might discuss a ruling between innings.
How does this happen if you're in short right field (base umpire) or on a foul line (plate umpire)?
Old Wed Apr 13, 2005, 08:53am
Official Forum Member

sure I will respond if asked in a polite manner. Common courtesy. What is wrong with that? There is enough jerks in this world without me ignoring someone who ask a question polietly.
Old Wed Apr 13, 2005, 08:59am
Official Forum Member

Rich,
I don't work the large parks, most fences our within 20' of the foul line. Sound has a way of traveling that far even if it isn't spoken loudly.

Hey, you have your way of doing things and I have mine. I have no problem with this.
Old Wed Apr 13, 2005, 09:08am
Official Forum Member

UFB,

An umpire would explain a call to a FAN during a game!

Hahahahahahahahahaha!

I think I have heard everything now.

Pluuuezzze.
Old Wed Apr 13, 2005, 09:23am
Official Forum Member

Tim,
you are at the top of the food chain and I am a lowly bottom feeder trying to work my work up. I will learn as I gain more knowledge from you, Bob, etc.
Old Wed Apr 13, 2005, 09:24am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jxt127
Some of our parks in the younger ages have maybe 10 feet at the most from foul line to fence. I don't have a problem explaining something odd to the parents during a time delay. E.G. why a batter hit in the head by the pitch wasn't getting awarded 1st base. Of course 20 people at these games is a big crowd.

For the teenagers and the adults forget it I have nothing to say to the fans ever unless they are politely asking while I am changing or going back to the car after the game.

Well almost never I did call to the scorekeeper once to "get that woman's phone number" after one of the moms in her lawnchair back of the plate told me I had a cute butt lol! I think the catcher was seriously embarrassed by her mom.

[Edited by jxt127 on Apr 13th, 2005 at 10:29 AM]
Old Wed Apr 13, 2005, 09:24am
Official Forum Member

Re: UFB,

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim C
An umpire would explain a call to a FAN during a game!

Hahahahahahahahahaha!

I think I have heard everything now.

Pluuuezzze.
Weellll.... [gulp]

I'm in a small community. Sometimes, esp. in youth ball, it seems to make sense. I once even stopped a major a$$-ragging I was getting from one of those 20-foot-from the foul line fan-gaggles in a Legion game. Convinced 'em [in under a minute ] that I was not only right, but an OK guy, too.

Do I recomend it: nope. See: if'n ya' want to be treated like a top umpire, best act like one.

Will I ever do it again? Ehhh, dunno. I got dinged on my eval for that Legion game for it; felt real stupid, 'cause I KNEW it was coming. Sometimes there is an Assn guy at the fence w/ "vital" info to share during the game [where are we meeting for the post-game beverage & gabfest?] & a fan takes the opportunity to walk over & inquire. S#!t happens.