The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Apr 08, 2005, 09:30am
Official Forum Member

Situation one, swing third strike gets by catcher, he retreaves and throws to first. Ball hits BR in back when he is approx 3-4 feet from 1st. BR has left foot on line when contact occurs. Dead ball, BR out. Where is the FED rule reference for this?

Sit two, batter hits fly ball near 1B line, as he is running to first, ball hits in fair ground and spins back toward BR as he advances to 1st. Ball makes contact with BR while he is in fair territory. BR out. FED rule reference?

I realize that I ask alot of questions within the presence of great minds, but I do appreciate your indulgence.
Old Fri Apr 08, 2005, 09:43am
Official Forum Member

sit 1. BR is not out.

FED 8-4-1g - the note on this rule states --

"The batter-runner is considered outside the running lane lines if either foot is OUTSIDE either line."

sit 2. Rule reference 8-4-2k - Providing the ball hasn't passed an infielder other than the pitcher and another infielder had a play on the ball.
Old Fri Apr 08, 2005, 09:58am
Official Forum Member

so in Sit 1, BR must have one foot completely in fair territory or one foot completely outside the running lane. How many fields do you guys work where the 45 is markded 3 foot wide? If they use the edge of the grass as there outside line and you know it is not 3 foot from the foul line, do you err in the runners behalf?

Sit 2, I knew in would be a rule I've read a thousand times, sorry for the brain fart. Sometimes I need to be slapped.
Old Fri Apr 08, 2005, 10:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by scyguy
so in Sit 1, BR must have one foot completely in fair territory or one foot completely outside the running lane. How many fields do you guys work where the 45 is markded 3 foot wide? If they use the edge of the grass as there outside line and you know it is not 3 foot from the foul line, do you err in the runners behalf?
Which line was his left foot on; and was he running facing 1stB or home?

If his left foot is "on" the foul-side line & the ball hits him in the back, I've gotta be wondering if there was a quality throw to 1st.
Old Fri Apr 08, 2005, 10:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by scyguy
so in Sit 1, BR must have one foot completely in fair territory or one foot completely outside the running lane. How many fields do you guys work where the 45 is markded 3 foot wide?
Most of them.

Quote:
If they use the edge of the grass as there outside line and you know it is not 3 foot from the foul line, do you err in the runners behalf?
Yes.
Old Fri Apr 08, 2005, 10:36am
Official Forum Member

I was assuming that his left foot was on the foul line (left side of the lane). Was BR swinging out to round 1st when the throw hit him in the back?
Old Fri Apr 08, 2005, 11:00am
Official Forum Member

left foot on foul line running toward first, throw hits him in middle of back. It was obviously not a good throw, but is that a consideration?

However, if BR's left foot is completely in fair territory while he is running toward first and within 45 feet of 1st, is he out no matter how bad a throw it is? If not, then where is the exception in 8-4-1g?

Maybe the throw does matter, but all I can find is 8-4-2g says "A fielder is not protected, except from intentional contact if he misplays the ball and has to move from his original location ... but this does not seem to apply.

My gut tells me that the throw must have some degree of success into order to call interference.

Now if I look at this rule and judge that the catcher misplays the ball by making a bad throw then maybe this will work. Help

[Edited by scyguy on Apr 8th, 2005 at 01:55 PM]
Old Fri Apr 08, 2005, 01:07pm
Official Forum Member

sorry, I keep running this one through my head. If BR has one foot in fair(not on line), within 45' of first, and ball hits him in the back. Bad throw? Make a difference? If BR was not in fair territory maybe it wouldn't have hit him, maybe it was an acceptable throw.
Old Sun Apr 10, 2005, 06:31am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
[QUOTE]Originally posted by scyguy
[B]left foot on foul line running toward first, throw hits him in middle of back. It was obviously not a good throw, but is that a consideration?

However, if BR's left foot is completely in fair territory while he is running toward first and within 45 feet of 1st, is he out no matter how bad a throw it is? If not, then where is the exception in 8-4-1g?

Maybe the throw does matter, but all I can find is 8-4-2g says "A fielder is not protected, except from intentional contact if he misplays the ball and has to move from his original location ... but this does not seem to apply.

My gut tells me that the throw must have some degree of success into order to call interference.

Now if I look at this rule and judge that the catcher misplays the ball by making a bad throw then maybe this will work. Help

[Edited by cowbyfan1 on Apr 10th, 2005 at 07:35 AM]

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.