The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Apr 07, 2005, 07:12pm
Official Forum Member

I'd be interested in some of your opinions -or- if you know of a rule or interpretation that handles this.

FED and OBR.

Can a batter request time for the expressed purpose of obtaining a different bat even though his current bat is not broken?

If not - could a team request an offensive timeout and, while the batter is conversing with the third base coach, another player emerge from the dugout and bring the batter a NEW bat? Should that be allowed?

Opinions?

David Emerling
Memphis, TN

[Edited by David Emerling on Apr 7th, 2005 at 08:15 PM]
Old Thu Apr 07, 2005, 08:57pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by David Emerling
I'd be interested in some of your opinions -or- if you know of a rule or interpretation that handles this.

FED and OBR.

Can a batter request time for the expressed purpose of obtaining a different bat even though his current bat is not broken?

If not - could a team request an offensive timeout and, while the batter is conversing with the third base coach, another player emerge from the dugout and bring the batter a NEW bat? Should that be allowed?

Opinions?

David Emerling
Memphis, TN

[Edited by David Emerling on Apr 7th, 2005 at 08:15 PM]
Of course the batter can request time to get a new bat. Why wouldn't he be able to?
Old Thu Apr 07, 2005, 11:00pm
Official Forum Member

Yeah, i don't see any problem with this as long as it doesn't extensively delay the game.
Old Thu Apr 07, 2005, 11:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by largeone59
Yeah, i don't see any problem with this as long as it doesn't extensively delay the game.
What is definition of "extensively" and what rule causes it to be a problem?
Old Fri Apr 08, 2005, 01:33am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to akalsey Send a message via Yahoo to akalsey
Quote:
What is definition of "extensively" and what rule causes it to be a problem?
4.15(b) in OBR. "Extensively" would be if the umpire thinks they're trying to delay the game with the bat-switching routine. Home team's up by one, sunset is approaching, the field has no lights. After each pitch the home team batter heads to the dugout to switch bats.

Obviously you have to put a stop to this.
Old Fri Apr 08, 2005, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

I thnk there's some MLB interp about going back to get more pine-tar (I'm too lazy to look for that now, and I could be remembering incorrectly).

Assuming I'm correct in what I remember, I wouldn't apply it to getting a new bat at any non-porfessional game.

So, what happened, Dave -- did someone try to apply this "rule" to your team?
Old Fri Apr 08, 2005, 12:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
I thnk there's some MLB interp about going back to get more pine-tar (I'm too lazy to look for that now, and I could be remembering incorrectly).

Assuming I'm correct in what I remember, I wouldn't apply it to getting a new bat at any non-porfessional game.

No, this did not happen in any of our games. It just popped into my head. I've seen it done, though.

So, if a kid goes up there with the intent to bunt with his "bunting bat" and then, after he gets two strikes, he decides to switch to his "hitting bat" - that would be permissible?

I'm inclined to believe that it is not.

I would think that a player would need a more compelling reason to make a bat change other than, "I just want a different bat."

Yet, I don't think there would be any rule prohibiting it unless an umpire ruled that it is an unnecessary delay to the game.

Could the right fielder request time to switch gloves even if there is nothing wrong with his current glove that he has been using?

David Emerling
Memphis, TN
Old Fri Apr 08, 2005, 12:32pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins

No, this did not happen in any of our games. It just popped into my head. I've seen it done, though.

So, if a kid goes up there with the intent to bunt with his "bunting bat" and then, after he gets two strikes, he decides to switch to his "hitting bat" - that would be permissible?

I'm inclined to believe that it is not.

I would think that a player would need a more compelling reason to make a bat change other than, "I just want a different bat."

Yet, I don't think there would be any rule prohibiting it unless an umpire ruled that it is an unnecessary delay to the game.

Could the right fielder request time to switch gloves even if there is nothing wrong with his current glove that he has been using?

David Emerling
Memphis, TN
Who are we, as umpires, to say there isn't something wrong with the bat or glove? I'm letting either the fielder switch or the batter switch in the instances you mention. Anything else, would be OOO, in my opinion.
Old Fri Apr 08, 2005, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

Let's see . . .

We would allow the same outfielder to come in and get sunglasses, right?

Bats, gloves . . .

I worry about more important stuff . . .

Yes, I would have no problem with either request.
Old Fri Apr 08, 2005, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
Quote:
Who are we, as umpires, to say there isn't something wrong with the bat or glove? I'm letting either the fielder switch or the batter switch in the instances you mention. Anything else, would be OOO, in my opinion.
I would think the player would need to provide some plausible reason as to the necessity of the mid-inning equipment change.

As an umpire, after granting the batter time, I would want to know WHY he is leaving the area of home plate, disappearing into the dugout. It's unusual. It's a delay. And I'd want to know what the compelling reason is.

"I'm thirsty ... I need a drink." Too bad! Get back out here and bat. Get a drink later.

"I forgot to put my contacts in." Too bad! You should have thought of that earlier.

"I want a lighter bat. I didn't realize that pitcher threw so hard." Too bad! Get a lighter bat next time.

"I think I'm going to go with the big barrel." Too bad! This is baseball - not golf. You can't switch "clubs." Let's go.

"My bat is cracked." Fine.

David Emerling
Memphis, TN

[Edited by David Emerling on Apr 8th, 2005 at 01:54 PM]
Old Fri Apr 08, 2005, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Let's see . . .

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim C
We would allow the same outfielder to come in and get sunglasses, right?

Bats, gloves . . .

I worry about more important stuff . . .

Yes, I would have no problem with either request.
Outfielders are allowed to come in and get sunglasses usually because of a change in the sun's status as the inning progressed ... although this is very rare.

I would allow this because the "compelling" reason is obvious - like a cracked bat or a broken lace on a glove.

I would think there would have to be some sense of NEED offered - wouldn't you? Because, it is delaying the game. And if no reasonable reason is offered, then the delay is, by definition, unreasonable.

David Emerling
Memphis, TN
Old Fri Apr 08, 2005, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

David, if you don't want to let them get another bat, fine. If it's not in the rule book, shouldn't it be left up to you whether or not it's unnecessarily delaying the game. You think it does, others don't think so.

It's just a difference of opinion, nothing else.

[Edited by mj on Apr 8th, 2005 at 03:31 PM]
Old Fri Apr 08, 2005, 01:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mj
Daid, if you don't want to let them get another bat, fine. If it's not in the rule book, shouldn't it be left up to you whether or not it's unnecessarily delaying the game. You think it does, others don't think so.

I absolutely agree.

And I haven't formed a firm opinion on this.

I've never had a player do this before - but I've seen it happen in games in which I was not involved.

I'm just placing myself in the position and wondering what I'd do.

When a batter requests time, I will almost always grant it - even though I may not immediately know why he needs it.

Then ... if the batter started wandering off toward the dugout - I'm thinking I'd ask, "What's going on? Where are you going?"

I can't imagine allowing a batter to absent themselves from the flow of the game without explanation.

If his "explanation" was - "I'm getting a different bat."

"Why? Is that bat cracked?"

"No. I just want a different bat."

I guess I might allow it ... but it would probably be the LAST time that game. After that ... too bad.

David Emerling
Memphis, TN

[Edited by David Emerling on Apr 8th, 2005 at 03:00 PM]
Old Fri Apr 08, 2005, 02:10pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by mj
Daid, if you don't want to let them get another bat, fine. If it's not in the rule book, shouldn't it be left up to you whether or not it's unnecessarily delaying the game. You think it does, others don't think so.

I absolutely agree.

And I haven't formed a firm opinion on this.

I've never had a player do this before - but I've seen it happen in games in which I was not involved.

I'm just placing myself in the position and wondering what I'd do.

When a batter requests time, I will almost always grant it - even though I may not immediately know why he needs it.

Then ... if the batter started wandering off toward the dugout - I'm thinking I'd ask, "What's going on? Where are you going?"

I can't imagine allowing a batter to absent themselves from the flow of the game without explanation.

If his "explanation" was - "I'm getting a different bat."

"Why? Is that bat cracked?"

"No. I just want a different bat."

I guess I might allow it ... but it would probably be the LAST time that game. After that ... too bad.

David Emerling
Memphis, TN

[Edited by David Emerling on Apr 8th, 2005 at 03:00 PM]
I wouldn't ask. I would grant time, watch him gt another bat, wait until he was in the box, and make sure he was ready. Then, "Play."
Old Sat Apr 09, 2005, 02:20am
Official Forum Member

Too much ado about...

Dave,

If there is a time limit and it is clear the batter switching bats (or untying and retying his shoes, etc) is an effort to kill time (usually at the end of the game) you MIGHT have an argument. However, in our league here in Israel where we play with a time limit, that kind of delay is usually considered unsportsmanlike and is revisited in the parking lot after the game.

In the normal flow of the game, I might think a player is dumb for bringing the wrong bat to the plate or for taking the wrong glove to left field, but players do a lot of things I think are dumb. So do coaches. Heck, I once saw an umpire do something that I thought was stupid.

Generally in team sports, players who do dumb things (that are not against the rules) are usually punished by the opponent, and shouldn't be punished by the umpire/referee/judge.

It is common for pitchers to lazily throw the ball to first base in an effort to "keep the runner close." However, everyone knows he isn't really trying to pick off the runner and simply stepping off the pitching rubber has the same effect. In cases like these, do you warn the pitcher he can't lazily throw to first because it is a waste of time and interferes with the flow of the game?

Have you ever allowed a pitcher to change balls because the current ball "just doesn't feel right"?

My point: How closely do you manage/limit ALL the other interuptions (and there are MANY) to the flow of the game?

If a player OCCASSIONALLY decides to change bats or gloves, what is that to me? Bad decisions and changes of mind are part of the game.