The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Apr 02, 2005, 07:26pm
Official Forum Member

I watch a good number of MLB games every year and I admire those umpires who seem to be particularly consistant at calling balls and strikes. Of course, we can all agree with the obvious - that Tim McClelland and Jerry Crawford are particularly consistant. But, there are others who I have been very impressed with - Ted Barrett and Joe West come immediately to mind. (West is underrated because he apparently does not have the most pleasant demeanor on the field.) My question is, who do you believe are the best mlb umpires at calling balls and strikes?
Old Sat Apr 02, 2005, 07:46pm
Official Forum Member

I tend to watch the umpires more than the actual games, and think they are obviously all good. The ones I enjoy watching (and think are very consistent) are Charlie Reliford, Wally Bell, McClelland, Marsh, Rapuano, Kellogg (who did a amazing job for 5+ hours during the ALCS Game 6), and John Hirschbeck.

Some of the best "newer" umpires from the 1999 hirings, in my opinion, are Marquez, Cooper, and Nelson.

It wouldnt be a post without naming who I think are the worst (not really right to say an MLB guy is the worst), but I would say its a toss up between Doug Eddings, CB Bucknor, Phil Cuzzi & Angel Hernandez.
Old Sat Apr 02, 2005, 08:42pm
Official Forum Member

I always thought that Angel Hernandez was a bit inconsistent as a ball/strike umpire, but it seems like he gets to work the LCS and World Series on an annual basis.

Randy Marsh and John Hirschbeck are two of my favorite umpires to watch although they have very different interpretations of the strike zone.