The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.00 average. Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 03, 2006, 12:32am
Official Forum Member

I have had the west vest and now i wear the all american. It is the best protector i've used. I have been hit at 90+ with both and haven't been hurt yet. For the money the all american is the best one i have found.
Clint Lawson
Carolina League
Old Mon Apr 03, 2006, 10:46am
Official Forum Member

Just a word on the pro nine protector,I have one and it does a excellent job and I use it from everything from little kids ball up through Fed and Legion baseball. It has taken quite a few shots and has performed quite well.
Old Mon Apr 03, 2006, 11:14am
Official Forum Member

CP choices..

I have a Honigs K1 and I love it for the lightness of it.... However I do not wear it for HS varsity or above....I have a BB2000 that I use for higher baseball. I have taken shots with both and prefer the hard shell protection for big boy baseball...

The only complaint I have about the BB2000 is the heat retention and I am going to use a partners Platinum this summer to test it out. My partner is out of baseball this season due to a knee replacement....I will be deciding whether to purchase the Platinum or save another season and get a Carlucci...

So to advice, if you can, gather a few chapter mates and see if you can swap CP'S a few games to see which is better for you.....

Stan
Old Tue Apr 04, 2006, 12:55am
Official Forum Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason181988
I know of a few umpires who wear gold colored watches (cheap ones I would think) while umpiring. I find this very unprofessional and the ones that wear these aren't very good anyway.
I've tried about every thing I can think of to keep time on timed games. I've tried wearing watches but they look tacky and get busted when I catch a passed ball on the wrist. I tried bringing a stopwatch and hanging it on the outside of the fence but I kept forgetting them after the game. I tried carrying watches in my front pockets but they get broke there too. As a last resort I stuck a stopwatch in my back pocket but everyone thought I was violating the zero tolerence rule on tobacco by having a can in my backpocket. I've finally decided to have the home score/bookkeeper keep the official time. I just tell the coaches @ the plate meeting that home book has the time. End of problem.

BIG'S BLOG
Old Tue Apr 04, 2006, 01:14am
Official Forum Member

big,

when i used to work the local little league while i was starting out, we always asked the home coach to write the time down in the book. when i was 15, i didnt even have a watch so i wasnt keeping track of anything.

i havent worked a time-limited game in a pretty long time, but i would think its alright to just put that in the book.
Old Tue Apr 04, 2006, 02:43am
Official Forum Member

i just got a cooper ump1000 last week to compliment my west vest platinum. I'll be honest and say it is a flat out better chest protector. I have had a pluspos protector as well, but it was always too bulky. The west vest is good, but it is hot and heavier. the cooper is truly an amazing product, lightweight with hardplate protection....just my two cents
Old Tue Apr 04, 2006, 08:13pm
Official Forum Member

OK, I USED to be a cheapskate and I refused to buy a high dollar hard shell protector. I'm changing that. Today working a JV game I took one right on top of the collarbone where I broke it about 20 years ago. OUCH! About 15 minutes later the catcher cleanly missed a high, inside fastball and it just missed my helmet and caught me square on the left side of the neck missing all prtotective gear. When the ball hit me I felt mu neck pop. Double Ouch! My partner called time and came and checked me out with one of the trainers. That was the closest I've ever came to being knocked out of a game. I guess I'll be seeing my chiropractor tomorrow!

I've been umping on and off for 20+ years and that's the first time I've ever taken a shot that hard to the neck. I guess it was my wake up call.

BTW... Qudos to my partner. It was the 1st time I've ever worked w/ him. He's one of the old-timers around here and only works a limited schedule. While I was being attended to he jumped the catcher and informed him that he will block those from now on. It was nice having a partner that covered your back while your standing there seeing stars!

BIG'S BLOG