The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Allstar Helmet vs Westvest (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/18847-allstar-helmet-vs-westvest.html)

thumpferee Tue Mar 01, 2005 09:44am

I need a new chest protector, but that helmet looks great and I'm not trying to dish out 300 bucks for both. Does anyone wear the helmet? Is it comfortable?

Helmet vs mask should have been the question!

Your thoughts please!

Rich Tue Mar 01, 2005 10:34am

Quote:

Originally posted by thumpferee
I need a new chest protector, but that helmet looks great and I'm not trying to dish out 300 bucks for both. Does anyone wear the helmet? Is it comfortable?

Your thoughts please!

If you need a new chest protector, you'lve already answered your question. If there's one piece of equipment NOT to skimp on, it's that.

thumpferee Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:17am

I went with the Gerry Davis Diamond Chest Protector 2 years ago mainly because of the cost difference.

What are your thoughts on this chest protector? Did I waste my money?

ozzy6900 Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:59am

Quote:

I went with the Gerry Davis Diamond Chest Protector 2 years ago mainly because of the cost difference.

What are your thoughts on this chest protector? Did I waste my money?

I had the older version of the GD Diamond Protector for many years. About 2 years ago I was doing a Legion game. I took a foul ball straight to the chest and the plastic ribs gave way and I ended up on the ground and the EMS had to rush me to the hospital. Doctors told me I was lucky to survive the arythmia (I have a heart condition to start with). When I got out of the hospital I ordered my WV Platinum. I would never do another game with any other chest protector!

kylejt Tue Mar 01, 2005 02:17pm

I, too, got nailed with the same protector. I didn't go to the hospital, but I felt goofier than ususal for several day. In retrospect I should have been checked out.

I've got a standard WV, and a platinum I rotate with now. A hard shell it the only way to go, IMO.

Helmets are different. Better vision, hotter, louder when you take a shot and you can't hear as well. I only use mine with clam-shell type back stops, where balls can knonk you you on the top of your head. I've got the All Star that's made of fiberglass and Kevlar. It's ok, and like I said, different.

greymule Tue Mar 01, 2005 02:33pm

<b>I took a foul ball straight to the chest and the plastic ribs gave way and I ended up on the ground and the EMS had to rush me to the hospital.</b>

Ozzy: Please just lie still and don't move until an attorney acquaintance of mine arrives. Where are you exactly?

He thanks you in advance.

WestCoastUmpire Tue Mar 01, 2005 07:48pm

Quote:

Your thoughts please!

I have both the WV Platinum and the All-Star Helmet. The main selling points for me were safety. The WV Platinum is well constructed and fits me quite well (which is a good thing because I am on the thin side and most gear like this is too big). I much prefer the All-Star Helmets to the regular face mask, as the visibility (in my opinion anyway) is better, and I find that I can speak in a clearer fashion. There is plenty of venting in the helmet, so I don't find that it gets too hot, though I wouldn't want to wear a hat underneath it.

It's hard to say which one you should get first. Both are important; I would lean towards the chest protector first, and then the helmet soon thereafter, depending on the level of baseball you are working and the quality of your existing equipment.

I can't put a price on my own safety, but if you're working higher level baseball, you may want to seriously consider the cost as an investment in your own health.

Good luck.

ozzy6900 Tue Mar 01, 2005 08:27pm

Quote:

Originally posted by greymule
<b>I took a foul ball straight to the chest and the plastic ribs gave way and I ended up on the ground and the EMS had to rush me to the hospital.</b>

Ozzy: Please just lie still and don't move until an attorney acquaintance of mine arrives. Where are you exactly?

He thanks you in advance.

Naw, the protector had seen its better days. I should have gotten rid of it long before that happened.

LDUB Tue Mar 01, 2005 08:31pm

Quote:

Originally posted by WestCoastUmpire
I can't put a price on my own safety, but if you're working higher level baseball, you may want to seriously consider the cost as an investment in your own health.
I agree. If you are worried about spending money, $300 will be a lot cheaper than your hospital bill.

edhern Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:06am

What's the problem? I have both a West Vest and an All Star helmet. Chest protector is definitely a higher priority.

Ed H

greymule Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:28pm

<b>$300 will be a lot cheaper than your hospital bill.</b>

Are you sure?

I'm looking at a bill of mine from Lenox Hill Hospital in New York City:

4½ days semi-private care @ $10.50: $47.25
Laboratory services: $11.00
Drugs: $1.65
Penicillin: $2.20
X-Ray: $15.00

Total: $77.10

This figure represents the entire cost of the treatment. No co-pay, no insurance, no HMO. Four and a half days in a rather famous hospital, and for $77.10 I was paid in full.

Let's see. The date on the bill is . . . February 4, 1953.

Tim C Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:46pm

grey

Hehehehe,

Nicely done.

bdub712 Wed Mar 02, 2005 01:02pm

When I started college baseball three years ago, I had to upgrade my equipment. I used the standard mask for a long time, but made the switch to the All-star mask. BOY..what a difference. The fit between the mask and the WV took some time to get familiar with, but now I move with greater ease and trust in my equipment.

tjones1 Wed Mar 02, 2005 01:18pm

Nice one grey!! :D

mbyron Thu Mar 03, 2005 01:51am

Quote:

Originally posted by greymule

I'm looking at a bill of mine from Lenox Hill Hospital in New York City:

4½ days semi-private care @ $10.50: $47.25
Laboratory services: $11.00
Drugs: $1.65
Penicillin: $2.20
X-Ray: $15.00

Total: $77.10

I wonder what that bill would run today, with no insurance. I'm guessing $1500/day for the room, maybe $2K for labwork, $800 for drugs, and $400 for "radiological services," assuming that you had an x-ray not MRI, CT, PET scan, etc.

What's that come to, about ten grand?

Experiencing that "hospital fresh" smell? Priceless.