The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 27, 2005, 01:12pm
Official Forum Member

I was just reading Carl Childress' essays about 2-man mechanics and wondered if these have been discussed here and what the opinions were. I am relatively new to umpiring and just looking for different views on the way things are done in different associations.

http://childress.officiating.com/
Old Sun Feb 27, 2005, 02:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Goble
I was just reading Carl Childress' essays about 2-man mechanics and wondered if these have been discussed here and what the opinions were. I am relatively new to umpiring and just looking for different views on the way things are done in different associations.

http://childress.officiating.com/
Personally, I have never attended any well organized clinics, camps or schools in my quest to become a good baseball official. I would like to think I belong in that category but others may have a different opinion.

When I started, there was not the information available over the internet like now, and you were pretty much on your own to learn as much as possible. I purchased several of Carl's books, read them and then started to try many of his suggestions. I myself, found the books to be down to earth, humorous and most of all helpful. Over the years I have read and studied many other articles and books by Carl and many others. But , bottom line I believe his approach and practical suggestion helped me the most in becoming self taught in the art of officiating baseball. And that applies to me and me alone.

I read his articles about 2-man mechanics and have experimented with some of his ideas. Some have worked for me and some not. But you will find that this applies to all the references you will use over your career as you begin to develope styles, a consistent strike zone, and methods to remember the application of the rules. More and more associations are also trying to standardize officiating, which is good.

I for one, wholeheartly endorse Carl's contribution to amateur basball officiating and highly recommend that you read as many of his works as possible. They are great tools.

(This is not a paid advertisement, just my opinion)