The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 23, 2001, 04:25pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Patrick Szalapski
I was not umpiring at the time the FED adopted the -5 bat rule several years ago. Perhaps some umpires who were could share what it was like enforcing that new rule in its first year. Were there a lot of violations? How did it go? I think we can learn from those experiences in enforcing the -3 bat rule better.

P-Sz
Old Sat Feb 24, 2001, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

I have been very diligent in checking bats before and during my 6 scrimmage games and 5 "for real" games so far here in Texas. I have not seen an illegal bat yet.

. . . With the possible exception of the Easton Connexion bat. It definitely is not "a smooth cylinder made of wood, aluminum, magnesium or graphite composite" (FED 1-1-5) It is plainly marked "Patented two-piece technology." There is a rubber or plastic connector at about the 18=inch mark which is definitely not smooth nor is it "wood, Al, Mg, or graphite composite." I have asked a question of the TASO state office as to whether this bat is legal, but I have not received an answer. I find it difficult to believe that Easton would market this bat to high schools if it is not legal, but I will not allow it to be used in my games until and unless I get definite word that it is legal.
Old Sat Feb 24, 2001, 02:09pm
Official Forum Member

Smile FED bat rules

After two weeks of play here in the Heartland of Florida, the Citrus Belt Umpires have not encountered any bat problems, by asking competing coaches at the pre-game conference, "Are all your players properly equipped according to the FHSAA regulations, and does your equipment meet the standards of the National Federation?" Bat inspection is only casual, such as bats that remain in the batting area, and are picked up by PU to clear the area, or to assist entering on-deck batters or bat-boys. The coaching staffs and equipment sales reps have closely followed the Fed requirements, and are to be commended for their adherence to the new standard.
Old Sat Feb 24, 2001, 02:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TxUmp
I have been very diligent in checking bats before and during my 6 scrimmage games and 5 "for real" games so far here in Texas. I have not seen an illegal bat yet.

. . . With the possible exception of the Easton Connexion bat. It definitely is not "a smooth cylinder made of wood, aluminum, magnesium or graphite composite" (FED 1-1-5) It is plainly marked "Patented two-piece technology." There
FED has approved the bat, even though it clearly breaks the letter of the law. Strange...

P-Sz
Old Sat Feb 24, 2001, 08:34pm
Official Forum Member

Exclamation GeeBee!!!

Even though the plate conference questions about legality of equipment can ameliorate the umpires liability exposure, there are still admonishments in the NFHS book to inspect all equipment [bats, batting helmets, catcher's gear(yes, I know, 2003!)]. IMHO, youse guys are playing with fire there in the Sunshine state.
Old Sun Feb 25, 2001, 07:01am
Official Forum Member

Hey Pat, check out my reply to your association quandary (your "Advice" post)...

Anyway, if you do high school, one word of advice I'll give you is watch out for two types of schools--in the metro, these two types are umpires' headaches.

The first type is the small school--we could name some, but it would be pointless. Anyway, these schools usually don't have knowledgeable coaches and have limited funds. Thus, they might have a fair amount of illegal bats.

Secondly, some of the more cutthroat schools. All of the high school ones I've come in contact with are in the Twin Cities Suburban. Watch out, because these teams will force you to make the observation of the illegal bat (usually a player happens to pull one out of his bag just after the inspection). Not to slam on you, dude, but the worst team I've ever had for this was your home Babe Ruth team! Second was one from Rochester...

Matt Hordyk
Old Sun Feb 25, 2001, 07:35pm
Veteran College Umpire

In Illinois the State FED Rule Interpreters INSIST the basts and helmets be checked. If a bat is illegal it is taken out of play. If an otherwise legal bat is dented or has a flat spot, it is taken out of play AND MARKED FOR IDENTIFICATION by the plate umpire. If that bat shows up later in the game and is recognized it is treated as an ILLEGAL bat, and the batter is declared out as per the penalty for using and illegal bat (unlike an otherwise legal bat that is discovered during play to have a dent and is simply thrown out of play, as per the new FED rule). The thinking is a player can't try to get by with using his "favorite" bat, knowing the only penalty would be it's removal from the game - IF it's been deemed and marked unuseable during the pregame check. Did I confuse everyone??

PS Matt, where's home? I live in IL now, but grew up in Northfield MN...
Old Tue Feb 27, 2001, 04:44pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

Home, for me, will always be across the St. Croix, in the land of cheese...

But for now, it's White Bear Lake. Last year, it was Forest Lake. Before that, for 14 years, it was Circle Pines. Trees and lakes, I tell ya...
Old Wed Feb 28, 2001, 01:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Matt
Home, for me, will always be across the St. Croix, in the land of cheese...
I WAS going to give you a call, but now...

Hehehe...

;-)

P-Sz
St. Paul, born and raised...
Old Wed Feb 28, 2001, 05:24am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BenGilli
FED bat rule

I was just informed at my last meeting that NY State did not adopt the new -3 bat rule, I guess they will next year.... I don't understand why they didnt.. oh well....
Old Wed Feb 28, 2001, 12:37pm
Official Forum Member

Ignoring a FED rule?

WOW!!!! NY is not adopting a FED rule???? You know you are in danger of fire and brimstone from Indianapolis for that. Of course, here in Texas, we never did adopt the rule prohibiting metal cleats. We finally got all the rest of the unwashed to come around to our point of view however.