The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 16, 2005, 11:38pm
Official Forum Member

I know it has been discussed on here befeore, but I cannot remember what was said. I am looking for a chest protector that provides some relief from the heat. I have Diamond model now, and it just about does me in if the temperature is over 80.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Old Mon Jan 17, 2005, 12:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Gemini
I know it has been discussed on here befeore, but I cannot remember what was said. I am looking for a chest protector that provides some relief from the heat. I have Diamond model now, and it just about does me in if the temperature is over 80.

There is not enough difference in chest protectors to be worth discussing, from a heat dissipation standpoint. The best thing for getting rid of the heat is a shirt underneath the chest protector that will wick away the moisture. UnderArmour is very popular and there are other brands that work similar. I use McDavid shirts, and there is a world of difference between working a game with a regular cotton undershirt and working a game with a shirt that wicks away the moisture.
Old Mon Jan 17, 2005, 01:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Gemini

I agree with the previous post. My West Vest Platinum would seem to be really hot, but is not unbearable. I would recommend buying one Under Armour Heat Gear shirt...that will probably make you a lifetime customer. They are that good. Nix the cotton shirts.
Old Mon Jan 17, 2005, 10:29am
Official Forum Member

Cool

UnderArmor works wonders on a hot day, no doubt about it. But, chest protectors vary in heat retention. Three years ago I replaced all of my gear (it was worn out) and the number one thing I looked for was a chest protector that helped beat the heat and still provided adaquate protection.

My choice was a Honigs K1. It's much cooler than others I've tried and the protection is very good. Make no mistake here, protection wise it's not a hard shell - I wouldn't reccomend it for NCAA level; it's all you'll need for HS varsity level baseball.

George in NC
Old Mon Jan 17, 2005, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

I ran across this item in the latest Gerry Davis catalog. Might be just what you're looking for:

Gerry Davis Cooling Vest.
Old Mon Jan 17, 2005, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

My son uses a Cooper protector. Coolmax lined, and very breathable. Some guy is selling them on ebay for next to nothing in a lot sizes. I may have get one as a backup for really hot days. It's a really nice rig.

As others have said, Under Armour is the way to go, also.
Old Mon Jan 24, 2005, 09:27pm
M.A.S.H.

I go with the McDavid hDc shirts and pants. They work great!
Old Thu Jan 27, 2005, 07:52am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
the Cooper ump1000 is pretty good for staying cool.. I have used it in the 100+ temps here in Okieland and survived.

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.
Old Thu Jan 27, 2005, 12:50pm
Official Forum Member

OK, I've been waiting for a topic like this to bring up a 'sensitive' issue.

Down here on the Bayou, it's not the heat, it's the humidity!

Games in the 80's are not a problem. Try calling a double with the heat index over 100.

Needless to say, SWEAT HAPPENS! I use the UA Heat Gear to wick away the moisture, but that when the problem occurs. The sweat wicks right into my drawers and I'm soon getting snickers from the crowd or comments from smart-alecky coaches..."Have an accident there, Blue?"...to which my normal response is, "Yeah, you guys are intimidating."

Anyone else having this problem...and willing to admit to it? Better yet, any solutions...other than DEPENDS...cause I've heard that one.

DEPENDS - Now with convenient protective cup pouch...for the Active Incontinent Man!
Old Thu Jan 27, 2005, 06:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BayouUmp

Needless to say, SWEAT HAPPENS! I use the UA Heat Gear to wick away the moisture, but that when the problem occurs. The sweat wicks right into my drawers and I'm soon getting snickers from the crowd or comments from smart-alecky coaches..."Have an accident there, Blue?"...to which my normal response is, "Yeah, you guys are intimidating."
I assume you have UA shorts, or tights, with a cup holder for plate work. So why you wearing drawers? Try dropping the drawers.
Old Wed Feb 02, 2005, 05:07pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Delaware Blue
Quote:
Originally posted by DG
I assume you have UA shorts, or tights, with a cup holder for plate work. So why you wearing drawers? Try dropping the drawers.
If one is susceptible to the dreaded "jock itch," it's advisable to wear something "natural" between one's bare bum and the synthetic fabric of most tights or shorts. While I wear UA or McDavids when umpire, there's always a layer of Mother Nature's wonderful cotton between the man-made stuff and me. Cuts down on the CRUEX bill.
Old Wed Feb 02, 2005, 08:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Delaware Blue
Quote:
Originally posted by DG
If one is susceptible to the dreaded "jock itch," it's advisable to wear something "natural" between one's bare bum and the synthetic fabric of most tights or shorts. While I wear UA or McDavids when umpire, there's always a layer of Mother Nature's wonderful cotton between the man-made stuff and me. Cuts down on the CRUEX bill.
It sounded to me like his drawers were on the outside of his UA. Silk should work good also between skin and UA, for those with an itchy feeling. I usually find that getting rid of the sweat gets rid of the itch. I also use baby powder.
Old Wed Feb 02, 2005, 09:14pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Delaware Blue
Quote:
Originally posted by DG

It sounded to me like his drawers were on the outside of his UA.
After reading that post again, I think you're right (although I don't see the purpose in wearing your drawers on the outside of your tights).

Quote:
Silk should work good also between skin and UA...
Silk undies? I won't even begin to go there...

Old Thu Feb 03, 2005, 08:27am
Official Forum Member

Guys....I assure you, I'm not wearing 'drawers'...poor choice of words used in the spirit and humor of the post. I wear UA, which wicks the sweat out to nearest absorbant article of clothing....my plate pants.

Glad I cleared that up...whew!

Old Thu Feb 03, 2005, 06:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BayouUmp
Guys....I assure you, I'm not wearing 'drawers'...poor choice of words used in the spirit and humor of the post. I wear UA, which wicks the sweat out to nearest absorbant article of clothing....my plate pants.

Glad I cleared that up...whew!

Glad that got cleared up. If the sweat wicking away to the plate pants is embarassing then stop wearing UA and keep the sweat inside.