The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Apr 15, 2005, 11:09am
Official Forum Member

I have a buddy who is an umpire, as far as their pay goes, unless they are tenured in MLB, they will work in the AAA league and come up to MLB occasionally and sometimes for quite a few games, and no, those umpires do not make 6 figure incomes, but it does depend on the # of MLB games they work. Now, the tenured MLB umpires DO make a 6 figure salary.
Old Mon Apr 18, 2005, 06:20pm
Official Forum Member

I can't believe that Gary Darling got his own crew...but look who is on it...Larry Poncino...This crew will give MLB a run for their money...I think it is great!
Old Tue Apr 19, 2005, 12:09am
Official Forum Member

Gary had his own crew last year when Mark Hirschbeck retired. And seeing as how Mark Wegner is on that crew, I somewhat resent that remark lol
Old Sun Jul 31, 2005, 07:12pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to scottyman51
I like Mark Wegner....

Anyone know what happened to jeff kellogg,i though he was a great ump?

BY the way guys,i'm scott,new member....
Old Sun Jul 31, 2005, 07:17pm
Official Forum Member

Kellogg tore his ACL playing basketball in December.....somewhere on here is a thread I posted with an article about him.
Old Sun Jul 31, 2005, 08:23pm
Official Forum Member

That really sucks,sorry i didn't see that article,i can look for it. Yikes,i hope he returns next year,he's a damn good ump. Bob Davidson has done a good filling in.

Sorry but whats up with relifords crew. He and runge are out,and that chris guccione guy...doesn't take much to get him going.
Old Sun Jul 31, 2005, 08:35pm
Official Forum Member

New at this,sorry,saw the article of kellogg,and on reliford and runge so my question was answered.

I still don't think guccione is a good ump,but he makes the game interesting to say the least.
Old Mon Aug 01, 2005, 07:39pm
Official Forum Member

Barksdale is filling for Kerwin Danley at the Twins game. Wonder if Reliford or Runge is back since lance moved crews.
Old Mon Aug 01, 2005, 09:47pm
Official Forum Member

Or they may be on vacation this week.
Old Tue Aug 02, 2005, 07:42am
Official Forum Member

Danley was out for about 2 weeks before hirshbeck and his crew was on vacation last week. I believe that Reliford's crew has a scheduled vacation this week? MLB has to be scratching there heads at what has happened to Reliford's crew this year. I think at some point everybody on that crew has been off for more than a 2 week in a row period. Very strange.
Old Tue Aug 02, 2005, 01:42pm
Official Forum Member

It is strange how Reliford went down, and no notice of injury or personal matters. After one series he was just gone. Then Runge was gone for a long time, then came back and was knocked down. I thought he was not that seriously hurt? What is going on with that crew is right.

Also, anybody got any suggestions on who will get some of the retirement openings if they happen.

I know Davidson, Hallion, and Hickox get 3 out of the first five. I think Barksdale, Guccione, Drake, and Fullwood are all good choices.
Old Tue Aug 02, 2005, 02:12pm
Official Forum Member

Does anyone know why Mike Fichter hasn't worked a lot of games this year? I always thought he would be enxt in line for an MLB job....
Old Tue Aug 02, 2005, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

Fairchild,he's done alot of work this year. Maybe James Hoye...They have worked quite abit this year,maybe they will replace the umps that retire,if there are any..
Old Tue Aug 02, 2005, 04:07pm
Official Forum Member

I like James Hoye a lot too, I just don't think he's worked enough for MLB to make him full-time. I've seen a few of Fairchild's games this year, and I think he is pretty bood, but too inconsistent behind the plate to be considered right now. Maybe with some more ML experience he would be a good fit, but I think he needs a little more work to be better.
Old Tue Aug 02, 2005, 06:00pm
Official Forum Member

Yea he did a sox game filling for rick reed,and he was a bit inconsistant. I see him being the Tom Hillion of next year,working more majors then minors. If they did choose him to move up he'd be the 4th guy on the crew,kinda like jim Wolf was. If i'm not mistaking wasnt Jim only doing MLB games 1 season before moving up fulltime,or was he around years before i remember.All i remember is MLB wouldnt let him do his assigned game behind the plate because his brother was the pitcher that night.

[Edited by scottyman51 on Sep 20th, 2005 at 09:56 PM]