The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 22, 2005, 08:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
BRD play 88-145, page 103
A pitching coach makes a pitching change. After he leaves the mound, the head coach calls his defense to the foul line to chat while the new pitcher is warming up. RULING: In OBR warn the coach that me must not engage in that discussion. If he insists on the conference, eject him. When the hitter finishes his at-bat, eject the pitcher as well.
I understand ejecting the manager, that makes sense to me. But why eject the pitcher as well? Is there something I am missing?
Old Sat Jan 22, 2005, 09:33pm
Official Forum Member

"A manager or coach is considered to have concluded his visit to the mound when he leaves the 18 foot circle surrounding the pitcher's rubber."

He left so the visit is over.

MLBUM:

"A trip to the mound begins when the manager or coach crosses the foul line."

Therefore it's a second visit with the same batter at the plate.

Again 8.06:

"In a case where a manager has made his first trip to the mound and then returns the second time to the mound in the same inning with the same pitcher in the game and the same batter at bat, after being warned by the umpire that he cannot return to the mound, the manager shall be removed from the game and the pitcher required to pitch to the batter until he is retired or gets on base. After the batter is retired, or becomes a base runner, then this pitcher must be removed from the game. The manager should be notified that his pitcher will be removed from the game after he pitches to one hitter, so he can have a substitute pitcher warmed up."
Old Sat Jan 22, 2005, 10:43pm
Official Forum Member

Ok so removed from the game means ejected? I always thought it meant that someone was subbed in for him.
Old Sat Jan 22, 2005, 10:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by LDUB
Ok so removed from the game means ejected? I always thought it meant that someone was subbed in for him.
If the manager removes him on his own, it's a sub.

If the umpire (or a rule) removes him, it's an ejection.
Old Sun Jan 23, 2005, 02:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Ives
Quote:
Originally posted by LDUB
If the manager removes him on his own, it's a sub.

If the umpire (or a rule) removes him, it's an ejection.
Although the rules mandate that a pitcher be removed (from the game) when a manager makes a 2nd trip to the mound, in the same inning, to the same pitcher - I don't think that constitutes an ejection.

I know that is not what is happening in the BRD discussion. I only mention this because a player CAN be removed from the game without being ejected.

David Emerling
Memphis, TN
Old Sun Jan 23, 2005, 11:16pm
Official Forum Member

Doesn't really matter what you call it unless there is an ejection penalty.

It may actually mean "ejection" as the same rule speaks of "removing" the manager from the game, and that certainly is an ejection.

I suspect CC used the word because it is a forced removal, not a voluntary removal.
Old Sun Jan 23, 2005, 11:34pm
Official Forum Member

"A pitching coach makes a pitching change. After he leaves the mound, the head coach calls his defense to the foul line to chat while the new pitcher is warming up. RULING: In OBR warn the coach that me must not engage in that discussion."

Make sure this is a STERN warning, the ramifications of which are not misunderstood.

"If he insists on the conference"... he is an idiot so "eject him. When the hitter finishes his at-bat, eject the pitcher as well."