The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Nov 20, 2004, 09:11am
Official Forum Member

I was unaware that under any code the umpire was supposed to say, "You can't go back."

BR hits a ground ball that F6 throws away. BR misses 1B and, with the ball dead, proceeds to touch 2B. If BR then returns to 1B to retouch, the umpire allows him to do so. If the defense does not appeal, the umpire makes no call. If the defense does appeal, the ump calls BR out and if necessary then informs BR, "You couldn't go back."

Abel on 3B, Baker on 2B, Charles on 1B. Daniels hits a ball over the fence. Abel runs in reverse order, causing Baker, Charles, and Daniels to "pass" him. Three outs, no runs.

[Edited by greymule on Nov 22nd, 2004 at 03:31 PM]
Old Sat Nov 20, 2004, 09:28am
Official Forum Member

Here is the answer that was asked of Mr. Wendelstedt, I guess Doug is UMP3:

"Rule 7.10 APPROVED RULING (2) says that ". . . no runner may return to touch a missed base, or one he has left after he has advanced to and touched a base beyond the missed base". There has been a discussion on a umpire forum that, from this, brings another question. It is, if the runner does attempt to return to one of these bases he may not return to, does the umpire tell the runner that he cannot go back? I guess Doug is UMP3:

Doug, your question is one that, instead of taking the intention of the rule, takes the literal reading. This is not what you should do in this case.

Umpires should not bring to the attention of anyone, offensively or defensively, mention of a possible appeal of a base missed or not legally tagged up from. This is some circles is considered "coaching", but most commonly among umpires is known as "putting your nose where it doesn't belong".

There are a couple of principles to remember here:

First, ALL players are responsible to know what they can and can't do. If they don't know, and they ask, you can tell them. Until then, you don't tell them anything. In this case, the runner may not return to touch the missed base for the purpose of legally touching it. It is his responsibility to know this, but also the responsibility of the defense. If they are confused by this action, and do not appeal as a result, that is their problem, not ours. If they do though, the appeal should be sustained, because as the rule says, he may not return to touch or retouch.

Never make reference to a missed base, or a base not legally tagged up from, unless it is appealed. A missed base should be considered a touched base, for scoring purposes, until the appeal is made." G.

[Edited by Gee on Nov 20th, 2004 at 09:31 AM]
Old Sat Nov 20, 2004, 06:53pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to umpduck11
I guess following the lead of other posters here,
I should crow that that is verification that my post is corrrect,huh? LOL