The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 28, 2004, 11:26pm
Official Forum Member

Low-cut or High-top

Biting the bullet and investing in a pair of plate shoes this year. Have been lucky over past couple of years, but can't afford to chance it anymore.

Leaning toward the Low-cut Plus Pos (PS1) over the High-top PS2's. Just feel more mobile in the low-cut. Is the high-top benefit more protection or support?

Thanks guys!
Old Wed Dec 29, 2004, 12:09am
Official Forum Member

+Pos are some kind of heavy!

I'm getting other shoes because my low cut +Pos shoes made me feel like Frankenstein clomping around. I've ordered some Lehigh shoes (they are not built for umpires, but all leather high cuts with a running shoe sole and NO METAL (the toe is some super-strong plastic) adds up to a good thing.
http://www.lehighsafetyshoes.com/leh...tart=1&inv=123
Old Wed Dec 29, 2004, 02:41am
Official Forum Member

Re: Low-cut or High-top

Quote:
Originally posted by BayouUmp
Biting the bullet and investing in a pair of plate shoes this year. Have been lucky over past couple of years, but can't afford to chance it anymore.

Leaning toward the Low-cut Plus Pos (PS1) over the High-top PS2's. Just feel more mobile in the low-cut. Is the high-top benefit more protection or support?

Thanks guys!
I used low tops for years, but two years ago I bought a pair of high tops and will never go back to lows. The highs give more protection, mobility is not an issue, AND, I don't get sand in my shoes during a game, which is a big deal to me.
Old Wed Dec 29, 2004, 09:07am
Official Forum Member

Re: Low-cut or High-top

Quote:

Thanks guys!
I have the low-cut Honigs. Very light weight (much more so than my older +POS), take Leather Luster great, very comfortable ...

Old Wed Dec 29, 2004, 05:48pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the input. I'm also considering the Tanel 360. Anyone wearing those?
Old Wed Dec 29, 2004, 06:31pm
Official Forum Member

Plate Shoes

I have been looking into getting a pair of plate shoes as well. Everyone that I have talked to is wearing a pair of Gerry's high tops, and they swear by them. Several of the people are ordering the patent leather high tops.

I know that the patenet leather looks good, but I think it will be a pain to keep them looking good (repairing the nicks). I just wish I could find a pair of the regular leather GD's.

Old Wed Dec 29, 2004, 08:50pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Plate Shoes

Quote:
Originally posted by bbump82
I know that the patenet leather looks good, but I think it will be a pain to keep them looking good (repairing the nicks). I just wish I could find a pair of the regular leather GD's.
I believe that the GD patent leather shoes are made at the same place the +POS shoes are made at. If you that kind of shoe, but not patent, just get them from +POS.

http://pluspos.com/product.asp?which=448
Old Wed Dec 29, 2004, 08:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Thanks for the input. I'm also considering the Tanel 360. Anyone wearing those?
Check this out on the umpire.org forum. There are a few guys who say the Tanel is excellent.

http://umpire.org/modules.php?name=F...fcb958a2257f93
Old Thu Dec 30, 2004, 06:11am
Official Forum Member

I personally love my Tanel's but I will tell you that if you have a wide foot go to the honigs or gd's because they are a d and they do not and will not make a wider version... I work for a dealer and have gotten on my sales rep about it to no avail