The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 21, 2004, 09:00pm
Official Forum Member

Assume that I am the base umpire.

Everytime there is a collision in the field, I am always asking myself", what the heck just happened," I am so busy looking at the ball that I have little time to react when a collision occurs. It seems to me that 95% of the time, the home plate umpire has a better view of a collision in the field. With this in mind, shouldn't he be the one looking for the obstruction?(unless of course he has an immediate play at home)

Greg
Old Thu Oct 21, 2004, 10:04pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb More information.

I think it would depend on the where the runner is located. How many runners are on base and where the ball was hit. I do not think you can just say it is automatically one umpire that has this call. There are many times where both umpires might have the same action.

Peace
Old Fri Oct 22, 2004, 01:07am
Official Forum Member

Re: More information.

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
I think it would depend on the where the runner is located. How many runners are on base and where the ball was hit. I do not think you can just say it is automatically one umpire that has this call. There are many times where both umpires might have the same action.
Peace
This is particularly true in a 2-man system.

Further, I wouldn't limit this to obstruction. Interference is another call that I think ANY umpire should make when he sees it.

For instance, in FED ball, the PU often has the best view of a Force Play Slide Rule violation at 2nd base on a double play. The BU will call the out and usually does not have the luxury of remaining focused on the action at 2nd since he has a very important banger to call at 1st.

Pop-up slides into the pivot man (a FED violation) are frequently missed by the BU and is something that the PU should catch and call.

David Emerling
Memphis, TN
Old Fri Oct 22, 2004, 09:26am
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: More information.

Quote:
Originally posted by David Emerling
Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Peace
This is particularly true in a 2-man system.

Further, I wouldn't limit this to obstruction. Interference is another call that I think ANY umpire should make when he sees it.

For instance, in FED ball, the PU often has the best view of a Force Play Slide Rule violation at 2nd base on a double play. The BU will call the out and usually does not have the luxury of remaining focused on the action at 2nd since he has a very important banger to call at 1st.

Pop-up slides into the pivot man (a FED violation) are frequently missed by the BU and is something that the PU should catch and call.

David Emerling
Memphis, TN
I agree. As a base umpire I have called the out and interference when it is obvious. For example when R1 obviously altered the throw to first. Pop-ups illeagle slides etc are PU. As BU if you can, call the interference at second I think it looks better.