The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Oct 24, 2004, 04:15am
Official Forum Member

Really?!? The players union has to approve all rule changes? How the heck did that happen.

And while this particular mistake is rather mundane, there seems to be a significant number of others that would warrant a correction.

So much for attention to detail and trying to do things right...

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:
Originally posted by Kaliix
And, for the love of God, why the xxxxx don't they FIX the rule book!!!

1) Because the player's union must approve all changes. They won't.

2) Because (on the IF rule and similar), it'[s not an issue -- everyone knows how it should be called and calls it that way. It's only some internet geeks who would even recognize the discrepancy and / or think that it was an issue.

Well I am certainly wiser than this man. It is only too likely that neither of us has any knowledge to boast of; but he thinks that he knows something which he does not know, whereas I am quite conscious of my ignorance. At any rate it seems that I am wiser than he is to this small extent, that I do not think that I know what I do not know. ~Socrates
Old Sun Oct 24, 2004, 06:48am
Official Forum Member

Bob & Kaliix,
Last I heard was that Jim Evans was in the process of rewriting the MLB rule book. That was back in 2000. Now that it looks like he may not come back on the field as an umpire, perhaps he will finish it sometime in the near future. He would be the guy for the job in my opinion - no disrespect to Jaksa/Roder, Childress etc
Old Sun Oct 24, 2004, 07:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Kaliix
Really?!? The players union has to approve all rule changes? How the heck did that happen.

And while this particular mistake is rather mundane, there seems to be a significant number of others that would warrant a correction.

So much for attention to detail and trying to do things right...

95% of the "errors" don't really affect play at the major league level. The players and umpires know what's supposed to happen. MLBUM and similar clear up another 4%.

It's only for the thousands of "youth" and other amateur baseball that it's a problem. OBR isn't written for those leagues, and MLB "doesn't care" about the issues (rightly so, imho). THose leagues just use the rules "by permission" -- if it's an issue in your league, write a supplement.