The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Oct 08, 2004, 06:21am
Official Forum Member

Question

Does anybody know exactly what the protest was about in their game yesterday?
The announcers were saying it had to do with the phones in hte Astros' dugout/bullpen (allegedly) not working, and that Bobby Cox protested the fact the fact that Phil Garner came out twice in the inning, before making a pitching change.
I didn't really understand what Cox was protesting, since the first time Garner came out, he went straight to the PU, and not to his pitcher. Hardly, what I would've classified as a visit.
It ended up being a moot point, when Furcal went yard in the 11th, but I was just looking for some clarification, on what the actual protest was.

Thanks.........
Old Fri Oct 08, 2004, 06:57am
Official Forum Member

The Astros got Brad Lidge up much earlier in the game than they normally do. Cox accused Garner of stalling (illegally delaying) the game with the "phones don't work" ruse in order to get Lidge more warmup time.

Even Cox admitted in this morning's paper that he doubts the protest would have been upheld. And of course, Garner says he would never pull a stunt like that on such a stage as the playoffs. But he also said the phone worked earlier in the game, and it worked later in the game, it just wasn't working at the point he was stalling, er, "expessing his concern to the umpires".