The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 24, 2001, 06:13pm
Official Forum Member

Exclamation

OK guys, a little help here. Tax time coming up and the wife handles the money issues. She is starting to worry about declaring my umpire money. I rougly made $2000 last year. Some by cash, others by check.

I thought I heard somewhere that legislation in California made all officials independent contractors. Is this true? Also, if they did, what about a business license? I know it is far fetched, but the wife is stressing! I guess I made too much for her to relax about it.

Any help, or direction you can give will be appreciated. Don't know if this info helps, but was never given a 1090, my association is not officially registered as a business or club.

Thanx

Max
Old Wed Jan 24, 2001, 07:48pm
Official Forum Member

Post taxes & you

Max,
Did you keep track of the miles to & from your games, any tolls, other things like that, associations' dues, equipment that you bought? Look at adding all that up and I'll bet that you made a whole lot less than $2000.

I declare my umpire income each year. I forget what form - the turbo tax software pretty much "conducts an interview" and all I do is fill in the numbers. I pay a little in fed, state, & local income tax, and also FICA.

With the mortgage, a kid in college, and donations, I really don't feel any impact from declaring my umpiring income. Besides, doesn't integrity pretty much require that we declare our income?

Old Wed Jan 24, 2001, 08:13pm
Official Forum Member

I keep track of all my umping mileage, and any meals I eat on the road, any gear I buy, my REFEREE subscription, phone calls, postage & office supplies, uniforms, game insurance, and rule books/videos. You can write it all off against what you make umping. Ask your tax guru for a Schedule C, and plug in all those numbers on that form. You'll get a Profit or Loss final number, and that number is what your umping season boils down to financially. I've made several thousand bucks a year, and by the time I get done writing stuff off I about break even. BEWARE, however - you have to end up in the "black" two out of every three years, or the IRS classifies your umping as a hobby, and then you have to declare EVERYTHING you make but won't be able to write off ANYTHING.
I have a buddy who only declares income he gets a 1099 for from the schools, and writes off against that. He pockets the cash, doesn't write off against cash games, and he ends up in about the same boat I do -= but if he gets caught not declaring it ALL, he'll get audited for the previous umpteen years and every year from now on.

Your choice.
Old Thu Jan 25, 2001, 12:23am

Send a message via AIM to Bradley Batt
Quote:
BEWARE, however - you have to end up in the "black" two out of every three years, or the IRS classifies your umping as a hobby, and then you have to declare EVERYTHING you make but won't be able to write off ANYTHING.
I don't believe this is true - you might want to double check with your tax consultant/attourney/accountant. This has gone around as a rumor - that 2 of 3, 5 of 7 years, etc. you have to be profitable, but I believe that the only requirement is that you show that it is a legitimate business, which officiating certainly is.

Of course, you will be audited one day regardless!
Old Thu Jan 25, 2001, 05:42pm

Send a message via AIM to Bradley Batt
Thanks Jim - there's a lot of good information there.

I think that what it comes down to is that the IRS is going to do whatever the H*LL it wants to!