The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Ridiculous State regulations (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/15584-ridiculous-state-regulations.html)

umpduck11 Sun Sep 26, 2004 11:16pm

I had been interested in purchasing a hockey-style helmet
to wear at the plate.I was discussing this with our state's
(Alabama) district umpire supervisor,when he told me "It's
hard to wear a hat under those".It seems the powers that be in our state require you to wear a hat regardless of your choice of headgear.
The supervisor said it was voted on recently,and his side lost.
I was wondering if any other states required you to wear
a hat beneath full headgear?

jicecone Mon Sep 27, 2004 08:58am

Quote:

Originally posted by umpduck11
hard to wear a hat under those".It seems the powers that be in our state require you to wear a hat regardless of your choice of headgear.

You have got to be joking? Are these people for real. Don't tell me their still using the powered blue elbeco shirt too.

A hat beneath the hockey-style helmet, thats hilarious, Ha ha ha ha ha. Are you allowed to use a inside protector or do they still use the balloon outside protector. How about the old beanie hat worn backwards, that should look cute.

Good luck. This is funny!!!!

jumpmaster Mon Sep 27, 2004 09:34am

Arkansas doesn't require a hat when wearing this type of mask.

LDUB Mon Sep 27, 2004 10:22am

Quote:

Originally posted by umpduck11

I have seen people wear beanie style hats underneath the hocky masks. So if you really want to wear the hocky mask, just get a beanie hat.

wobster Mon Sep 27, 2004 11:10am

In Indiana, you are not required to wear a hat under hockey-style headgear.

chris s Mon Sep 27, 2004 11:21am

bandanas

One guy in our group(fearless leader) chose to wear a bandana under his. VER BAD!!! ASA, in my area, does require hat under, though.

greymule Mon Sep 27, 2004 02:48pm

Why not wear the hat on top of the helmet?

jumpmaster Mon Sep 27, 2004 03:40pm

better yet - why not wear one of those little beanie propellers. That way you have a built in fan. :D

umpduck11 Fri Oct 01, 2004 05:46pm

Beanie hat ????????
Would someone kindly explain what it is,and
where one could be found?

[Edited by umpduck11 on Oct 1st, 2004 at 08:59 PM]

kylejt Fri Oct 01, 2004 09:38pm

Don't wear the beanie! Don't you remember what Jimmy Dugan called the umpire wearing one of those.

Ok, you've got to wear a hat. Let me play coach for a minute. "Show me in the rule book exactly where I've got wear my hat!"

Then stick it your ball bag, and wear it on your hip.

Do y'all get cable in Alabama?

umpduck11 Fri Oct 01, 2004 10:11pm

Sure,great idea. I'm sure the district supervisor
would love to see my hat in my ball bag.

Yes,we have cable.We also have electricity,running
water, and telephones.Most of us wear shoes, are
literate, and don't marry relatives.Any other
misconceptions I can clear up for you?

kylejt Fri Oct 01, 2004 11:39pm

Easy now.

My point is your organization is behind the times. Helmets are used, sans hats, in all levels of play. Pro, college and even the T-Ball World Series! You need to make a stand against this anti-helmetite organization, and free your head from the evils of wool caps!

Honestly, watch a few MLB games on the tube and see how many PU's have switched out to a helmet.

This same thing happened with inside chest protectors in the '60's. How many pillows do you see now? Bow ties, anyone?

See a beanie here:
http://www.honigs.com/detail.asp?Cat=2&Sub=37&Item=336

Depending on the helmet, you can wear a combo hat, with a little practice, under one. It works with my All Star helmet ok. It's doable, but very hot.

Peruvian Sat Oct 02, 2004 10:51am

Yeah, Alabama's rules regarding this are pretty mundane, IMO. Although I prefer the regular cap and mask combo, any official who chooses a hockey-style helmet should not have to wear the hat underneath. If they are working a HS game in Alabama, everybody in the field already knows they are with the state and he doesn't have a need for the identifying cap.

I don't know why they insist on keeping this STATE rule (continuity?...uniformity?), but it's pretty lame. Every clinician I've talked to has said, "If you can get a hat underneath it, go right ahead." Some sympathetically say it, and then there are those who say it sarcastically because they're old school and don't care too much for change.

Whatever.

[Edited by Peruvian on Oct 2nd, 2004 at 11:56 AM]

Rich Sat Oct 02, 2004 12:56pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Peruvian
Yeah, Alabama's rules regarding this are pretty mundane, IMO. Although I prefer the regular cap and mask combo, any official who chooses a hockey-style helmet should not have to wear the hat underneath. If they are working a HS game in Alabama, everybody in the field already knows they are with the state and he doesn't have a need for the identifying cap.

I don't know why they insist on keeping this STATE rule (continuity?...uniformity?), but it's pretty lame. Every clinician I've talked to has said, "If you can get a hat underneath it, go right ahead." Some sympathetically say it, and then there are those who say it sarcastically because they're old school and don't care too much for change.

Whatever.

[Edited by Peruvian on Oct 2nd, 2004 at 11:56 AM]

It's because the MORONS down there hate helmets and this is their way of keeping umpires from wearing them.

I'm glad I live in a state where they leave the umpires alone.

--Rich

umpduck11 Sat Oct 02, 2004 02:03pm

yeah,one choice of shirt color, no helmets without
a hat......pretty dull.