The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Aug 04, 2004, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

Here's the situation. Runner on first less than two outs I'm in the B Position. My B position gives me a 45 degree look at 1st. Ground ball to third I watch the ball go to third. Third basemen goes to second. Throw is to the outfield side. Second base man streches for the ball and his momentum carries him toward center. I saw this play as follows: Second baseman caught the ball while his foot was on the base. Took his foot off the base to avoid the sliding runner. Very mild griping from the bench. I don't think they had a good look. My question is this. Is there a better position to get a good look at this play.
Old Wed Aug 04, 2004, 02:11pm

You bet...
First of all, on a 90 ft. diamond, 45 degrees to first puts you in line with the pitcher. Draw a line from the edge of the plate through the outer edge of the pitching mound extend it back and get yourself along that line. You will still be able to see the pick off and be outof the way for throws from third or short.

Secondly, the moment the ball is hit you need to drop back to a position behind the mound (imagine a thirty foot oval between the shortstop and secondbaseman). You will be out of the line of fire, can advance or retreat while watching the runners and never take your eye off the ball.

As for your play at second, nothing prohibts you from leaning (it looks good...like you got a really good look) or taking an extra step towards the bag. The mechanic makes the call...it's up to you to sell it. Believe in the close ones! Good luck!!!
Old Fri Aug 06, 2004, 10:21pm
Official Forum Member

You're always going to get grumbling on a play like that. It sounds as if you had a good view of what happened to me.

The problem with the play is this - it wasn't exactly a quality throw. Normally, an umpire will give a fielder a little latitude in getting his foot the heck out of dodge on a force play to prevent from getting spiked or his foot stepped on. You see this a 1st base all the time. Nobody grumbles. It's not worth splitting hairs on an obvious and easy out.

But as soon as the throw is less-than-good, you can't really cut the fielder the same slack.

David Emerling
Memphis, TN
Old Fri Aug 06, 2004, 11:06pm
Official Forum Member

First of all the infield is 90 X 90 or 8,100 square feet. I can make a sqaure starting at first base go 30 feet toward 2nd base go 90 degrees toward the pitchers mound for 30 feet and go 90 degrees toward the first base line and I have a square. Now go halfway between the imaginary line from the pitchers line and first base and you have a 45 degree angle. If you have a 90 by 90 square you're correct. My square is approximatly 30 X30 give or take a few feet and I have a great view of first base the fielder and the runner.

The question is from there how do you get a better look at that play from that position. I agree that the first baseman deserves more consideration. But if one can get a better look and an out (where deserved) isn't that better than (for the lack of a better word) assuming that because it is a poor throw the runner is safe?
Old Sat Aug 07, 2004, 11:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gordon30307
First of all the infield is 90 X 90 or 8,100 square feet. I can make a sqaure starting at first base go 30 feet toward 2nd base go 90 degrees toward the pitchers mound for 30 feet and go 90 degrees toward the first base line and I have a square. Now go halfway between the imaginary line from the pitchers line and first base and you have a 45 degree angle. If you have a 90 by 90 square you're correct. My square is approximatly 30 X30 give or take a few feet and I have a great view of first base the fielder and the runner.

The question is from there how do you get a better look at that play from that position. I agree that the first baseman deserves more consideration. But if one can get a better look and an out (where deserved) isn't that better than (for the lack of a better word) assuming that because it is a poor throw the runner is safe?
I didn't follow all that square talk -- moslty because the square ou drew was near first, and the play was at second.

If you start near the back of the mound, you can read the throw and move a couple of steps toward the base where the play was made. If you read a bad throw, you can adjust your position a little to get a better angle on teh foot (was it on or off the base).

If you made a call at second while standing halfway between the mound and first, and you had the opportunity to be in better position, no wonder you got grief.