The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   OBR ruling? (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/14795-obr-ruling.html)

tornado Sat Jul 31, 2004 08:30am

R1 & R3. B1 hits ground ball to F4. R1 runs into F4. Interference is called.

Fed ruling= dead ball, R1 out, R3 stays at 3rd & B1 goes to 1st.

Is the OBR ruling the same?

Are there any codes that would allow R3 to score?

brost Sat Jul 31, 2004 09:04am

If R1 is interfering with F4 to 'break up the double play', both R1 and BR are called out. R3 remains on 3rd.

Jeremiah Sat Jul 31, 2004 05:31pm

It's the same under OBR. R3 would have to return to the last legally touched base, which would be 3rd base. It would be a double play if the interference is intentional. Otherwise we have a dead ball, R1 out, and BR on 1st and R3 on 3rd.

Also, make sure it's actually inteference - unintentional contact to a fielder not in the act of fielding a ball would be obstruction and not interference.

-Jeremiah

Rich Sat Jul 31, 2004 06:08pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Jeremiah
It's the same under OBR. R3 would have to return to the last legally touched base, which would be 3rd base. It would be a double play if the interference is intentional. Otherwise we have a dead ball, R1 out, and BR on 1st and R3 on 3rd.

Also, make sure it's actually inteference - unintentional contact to a fielder not in the act of fielding a ball would be obstruction and not interference.

-Jeremiah

How could this ever be obstruction? Ball was hit to F4, runner runs into F4. Interference. Easy.

Jeremiah Sat Jul 31, 2004 09:21pm

J/R manual - pg 119.
(1) Concerning obstruction and a batted ball:

A fielder's "try to field" a batted ball ends immediately upon missing or deflecting the ball, and such fielder must, in effect, disappear or risk obstruction. [2.00]

-Jeremiah

Rich Sun Aug 01, 2004 08:38am

Quote:

Originally posted by Jeremiah
J/R manual - pg 119.
(1) Concerning obstruction and a batted ball:

A fielder's "try to field" a batted ball ends immediately upon missing or deflecting the ball, and such fielder must, in effect, disappear or risk obstruction. [2.00]

-Jeremiah

I know what obstruction is. I'm just trying to figure out where it appears in the original play cited. There's nothing to read into it.

Hey, if the batted ball strikes a bird before it gets to F4....

Seriously, interference doesn't necessarily mean that he's catching the ball at that point either. If F4 is coming up to play the ground ball and is run into by R1, it's interference as well.

--Rich

Jeremiah Sun Aug 01, 2004 02:05pm

I agree that if he's coming up to field a ball, he is making a play on the ball. What i'm referring to is after he has had a chance to field the ball. Once he has had a chance to field the ball, he is no longer in the act of fielding a ball and thus liable to obstruct.

-Jeremiah