The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jul 20, 2004, 08:16am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to aepitaz Send a message via Yahoo to aepitaz
Arrow

Can the Manager come to the mound between innings? Is this a charged trip? I have seen two thoughts. One which states that any time the manager crosses the foul lines, has a conference (without the PU, for injury etc.), it is a trip. I have also seen an write up that states he can coach/watch warm up pitches but must leave immediately after the 5th pitch or 1 minute.

Thoughts?
Old Tue Jul 20, 2004, 09:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by aepitaz
Can the Manager come to the mound between innings? Is this a charged trip? I have seen two thoughts. One which states that any time the manager crosses the foul lines, has a conference (without the PU, for injury etc.), it is a trip. I have also seen an write up that states he can coach/watch warm up pitches but must leave immediately after the 5th pitch or 1 minute.

Thoughts?
A manager may make an uncharged trip or visit between innings as long as it does not delay the game (umpire's discresson).

On an injury visit, the PU must accompany everyone to the mound. As long as the conversation is about the injury the visit is uncharged. If the conversation turns to pitching instructions or the like, the visit gets charged.
Old Tue Jul 20, 2004, 09:54am
Official Forum Member

Depends on league rules... our league has a rule that says "The third out of the previous inning constitutes the beginning of the next inning." So in our league the inning has begun and if he goes out thats a trip...

But under normal OBR rules a coach can go as long as he leave immediatly after the last warmup pitch.
Old Tue Jul 20, 2004, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rmstone
Depends on league rules... our league has a rule that says "The third out of the previous inning constitutes the beginning of the next inning." So in our league the inning has begun and if he goes out thats a trip...

But under normal OBR rules a coach can go as long as he leave immediatly after the last warmup pitch.
Not meaning any malice but that's the problem with "local rules" - they usually don't make any sense.

When the 1/2 inning ends, the ball is dead. The umpire is supposed to properly put the ball back into play when the pitcher, catcher and batter are in their proper places and that gets the next 1/2 inning started. So in reality, there is no problem with the coach making a visit while the pitcher is warming up as long as when 5 or 8 warmup pitches are complete, the coach does not delay the game. Your local rule is, in my opinion, not valid.
Old Tue Jul 20, 2004, 11:20am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by rmstone

These rules are usually only for the purposes of enforcing a time limit.

Why find the crappy end of the stick? If the pitcher isn't delaying his warmups, why would you even NOTICE the coach on the field?
Old Tue Jul 20, 2004, 02:29pm
Official Forum Member

The only reason I would notice the coach on the field is so I can tell the other coach that it is not a trip, when he asks.
Old Wed Jul 21, 2004, 01:37am
Official Forum Member

"Depends on league rules... our league has a rule that says "The third out of the previous inning constitutes the beginning of the next inning."

It's not a "local" rule, it's a book rule. And no legitimate book calls it a trip if it's during the warmup.

Old Wed Jul 21, 2004, 06:34am
Official Forum Member

"SNIP"

"Depends on league rules... our league has a rule that says "The third out of the previous inning constitutes the beginning of the next inning."

"It's not a "local" rule, it's a book rule. And no legitimate book calls it a trip if it's during the warmup."
------------------------------------------------------------
I don't know of any book rule that says an inning ends after a third out.

Unless the third out of an inning ends with a dead ball, very rare, the ball stays (a)live until the proper pitcher starts his warm ups and at that time play is suspended. G.
Old Wed Jul 21, 2004, 09:34am
Official Forum Member

"I don't know of any book rule that says an inning ends after a third out."

Both Little League and Dixie say it. May be others - limited research time.
Old Wed Jul 21, 2004, 09:39am
Official Forum Member

Sorry, should have said OBR. G.
Old Sat Jul 24, 2004, 10:50am
Official Forum Member

See on evil, get no crap. Stir the pot get it all over you!
I agree with Ozzy!
Old Sat Jul 24, 2004, 10:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Gee
"I don't know of any book rule that says an inning ends after a third out.

Unless the third out of an inning ends with a dead ball, very rare, the ball stays (a)live until the proper pitcher starts his warm ups and at that time play is suspended. G.
OK, Gee, either you are being exceptionally pendantic, or something is wrong here:

OBR 8.03, which you seem to be familiar with, refers to a pitcher taking his position & warm up pitches "at the beginning of an inning", when play is suspended. So, if that marks the beginning of an inning, the previous inning must have ended, right? And OBR Rule 2.00 defines an inning as that period of time "in which there are three put-outs for each team". Sort of sounds like the inning is OVER when the third out happens, right? If that is not good enough, the PBUC manual contains official interpretation (OK, that's not a "book rule", but come on!) as follows: "An inning or half-inning starts immediately after the third out is made in the preceeding inning".

Some codes, like FED, LL, etc. are even more explicit, but even the pro version of OBR seems pretty clear. I know, however, there are a lot of 9.01(c) addicts out there who would like to think that there is no "specific rule" which dictates when an inning ends, since nowhere is it written "an inning ends when ..."