The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jul 15, 2004, 12:55pm

Lightbulb

Saw one last night and couldn't do a thing about it, except weep.

Anerican Legion playoff time is here. Driving by the park, I see the game and decide to stop. Here's the sitch...
The bases are loaded and one out. 3-2 count and the runners are moving on the pitch, ball hit to the second baseman who gloves it and tags the runner going directly in front of him, he rifles it home and the catcher high stretches for the catch and comes down on the plate before the runner.

The Base Ump signals the tag and calls "Out" immediately...the Plate Ump looks at the catcher's foot, points to it and hammers the runner out. This umpire worked the IHSA Championship last year.

The offensive coach doesn't immediately catch it and he heads to his dugout. His players are gathering their gear and the defense is leaving the field when someone yells "That's not a force!" (No it was not me.) The head coach realize this and the Plate Ump snaps to attention, realizing his blunder. The place went wild. The offensive head coach yelled that the ball was never declared dead and his kid from second, touched third and had not entered the dugout yet, he turned around and stepped on the dish. The defensive coach goes crazy and yeallys that there is no way that both of those runs are going to score, because the umpire "F*cked up the entire play." The Plate Ump hears this and loses control, ejecting the defesive coach. The Plate Ump scored both runs and put the last batter/runner on first.

I was laughing as I left and cried when I saw that the final score was 2-0 this morning.
Old Thu Jul 15, 2004, 01:23pm
In Memoriam

Cool

Don't cry. Was real bad, but not as bad as it coulda been.
The one run was "good" for everyone, it seems.
Counting the second run was moot.
It is sad the coach had a mind snap and had to go away. (That may have been a difference.)
mick
Old Thu Jul 15, 2004, 02:06pm

Lightbulb It was a lose-lose situation for almost everyone

It's funny, then ego part of me was glad to see that guy fall flat on his...
But, as I've said all along, to respect the game is our duty. I felt bad for the kids playing and the coach who clearly chose the wrong words, but was very right.
I'm not sure what more he could have done after kicking it and allowing enough time to pass before "trying to make the right call." Yes, he got the call right, but it was his error that caused it. (I know the catcher thought it was a force, but you know what I mean.) This is going to be one of those head scratchers that I'm going to use when I'm teaching.
Old Sat Jul 17, 2004, 03:05pm
Official Forum Member

OK Windy,
You just made that mistake, and don't say that it would never happen to you, how would have handled it?
How many runs score and where would you place anyone else?
Just curious.
I find that when Umps point fingers at other Umps they need to look in the mirrow and shut up!
Old Sat Jul 17, 2004, 08:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by teacherspit
OK Windy,
You just made that mistake, and don't say that it would never happen to you, how would have handled it?
How many runs score and where would you place anyone else?
Just curious.
I find that when Umps point fingers at other Umps they need to look in the mirrow and shut up!
Score R3, put R2 on third, R1 is out, BR on first.
Old Sat Jul 17, 2004, 09:38pm
Official Forum Member

I assume that you put R2 on third because if the play went as it should have, R2 would have held at third with R3 being safe and the catcher holding the ball. That makes sense.

In that situation, if the catcher wrongly assumes a force and the runner then tags home and is safe, what is the correct mechanic on that play? Are umpires supposed to signal a safe call on the play even though there is no force and no play (read tag) was attempted on R3 at home?

It reminds me of a pick off throw to first where no tag is attempted on the runner because he easily beats the throw. No play/tag on the runner so no signal necessary, correct?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:
Score R3, put R2 on third, R1 is out, BR on first.
Well I am certainly wiser than this man. It is only too likely that neither of us has any knowledge to boast of; but he thinks that he knows something which he does not know, whereas I am quite conscious of my ignorance. At any rate it seems that I am wiser than he is to this small extent, that I do not think that I know what I do not know. ~Socrates
Old Mon Jul 19, 2004, 11:27am

Unhappy

Teacherspit:

I'm not pointing fingers - the call was kicked and I figured that by my description most of us would understand what should have happened. Most of us did, but just in case, I'll go s-l-o-w:

Score the runner from third (he scored in the original play, right), put the runner that was on second on third, the runner on first is out, Batter/Runner is now on first.

I didn't figure this to be a head scratcher, but apparently you did. I would not have made this mistake, because I was taught to react, not act. When you tell people to shut up you'd better be able to back it up. From the answer you gave, I won't take much offense, because you probably ride the xxx.

[Edited by mick on Jul 19th, 2004 at 05:21 PM]
Old Mon Jul 19, 2004, 03:36pm
Official Forum Member

Unhappy Offense to Short yellow bus

Windycityblue:
i understand why you attacked the reply teacherspit, but I would appreciate it if you would attack him directly and not allude to the special folks who ride the xxx!

Regards
Phil

[Edited by mick on Jul 19th, 2004 at 05:22 PM]
Old Tue Jul 20, 2004, 12:51am
Official Forum Member

Sorry Windy!

Sorry Windy!

I just don't like umps that talk about umps. Or glott over another ump's preceived mistakes. I have made plenty of miss calls.
When I get in a casual conversation with anyone and they start to ask about certain ump's calls or what ever related to any game I usually tell them that, "That is how he/she saw it."
If they ask about an rule, and this is usually how the questions start, and I give my interpretation they will almost always say "Well, that is not how 'so and so' called it" Then I would say "Then that is how he/she interpreted it".
Bashing other umps is not the cool thing to do.

What I was saying about looking in the mirrow and shuting up was not personal. It is always a reminder to myself that I'm not perfect and to go on.

[Edited by teacherspit on Jul 20th, 2004 at 04:05 AM]
Old Tue Jul 20, 2004, 08:56am

Talking

Where I live the short yellow bus has two purposes...
yes, it conveys our specially challenged friends to and fro...but it also is the mode of transportation for the disruptive and delinquent school. As their lack of discipline and inability to play well with others does not permit them to share the long yellow bus, they are relegated to one driven by a man the size of The Undertaker. It was in this spirit that the reply was intended.

If my comment was offensive to any member that has a child that faces life's toughest challenges, I sincerely apologize.
Old Tue Jul 20, 2004, 12:29pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Re: SHORT YELLOW BUS???

Quote:
Originally posted by His High Holiness
Quote:
Originally posted by WindyCityBlue
Where I live the short yellow bus...

If my comment was offensive to any member that has a child that faces life's toughest challenges, I sincerely apologize.
WCB;

Are you telling me that nanny Mick censored the words "short yellow bus"? Is "short yellow bus" a politically protected term? This is censorship run wild.

Since I like being offensive, I wonder if Mick rode the short yellow bus. Maybe he's a Little League umpire. Geez, you would think that I said that he had sexual relations with his maternal parent.

Peter
I'm a Little League umpire. Worked a plate last night in the 12-year-old division. Again, what is your point?

I rode a short bus -- it's what our school used for baseball games

--Rich
Old Tue Jul 20, 2004, 12:29pm
In Memoriam

Re: SHORT YELLOW BUS???

Quote:
Originally posted by His High Holiness
Quote:
Originally posted by WindyCityBlue
Where I live the short yellow bus...

WCB;

Are you telling me that nanny Mick censored the words "short yellow bus"? Is "short yellow bus" a politically protected term? This is censorship run wild.

Since I like being offensive, I wonder if Mick rode the short yellow bus. Maybe he's a Little League umpire. Geez, you would think that I said that he had sexual relations with his maternal parent.

Peter
Peter,
You have so much to offer regarding baseball.
I am confused by your post.
mick
Old Tue Jul 20, 2004, 05:56pm
Official Forum Member

Teacherspit,
I would consider it "talking about other umps" if you name names. Windycityblue just told us a funny story without calling out the particular ump. I think we all appreciate stories like that.