View Single Post
Old Thu Jul 15, 2004, 12:55pm

Lightbulb

Saw one last night and couldn't do a thing about it, except weep.

Anerican Legion playoff time is here. Driving by the park, I see the game and decide to stop. Here's the sitch...
The bases are loaded and one out. 3-2 count and the runners are moving on the pitch, ball hit to the second baseman who gloves it and tags the runner going directly in front of him, he rifles it home and the catcher high stretches for the catch and comes down on the plate before the runner.

The Base Ump signals the tag and calls "Out" immediately...the Plate Ump looks at the catcher's foot, points to it and hammers the runner out. This umpire worked the IHSA Championship last year.

The offensive coach doesn't immediately catch it and he heads to his dugout. His players are gathering their gear and the defense is leaving the field when someone yells "That's not a force!" (No it was not me.) The head coach realize this and the Plate Ump snaps to attention, realizing his blunder. The place went wild. The offensive head coach yelled that the ball was never declared dead and his kid from second, touched third and had not entered the dugout yet, he turned around and stepped on the dish. The defensive coach goes crazy and yeallys that there is no way that both of those runs are going to score, because the umpire "F*cked up the entire play." The Plate Ump hears this and loses control, ejecting the defesive coach. The Plate Ump scored both runs and put the last batter/runner on first.

I was laughing as I left and cried when I saw that the final score was 2-0 this morning.