The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jul 13, 2004, 01:43am
Official Forum Member

I'm PU. Post season tourney 13-14 yr. Game is 9-8 last inning with home team behind and up to bat. 2 outs 1-2 count. The kid up to bat has struck out three times already so I'm ready for him to watch one. Pitch comes out of the pitchers hand and I can already tell it is the best pitch I'd seen all night. Waist high 4 inches in on the plate. Then, the kid drops the bat and reaches out takes one off his hand. "DEAD BALL, STRIKE THREE BATTERS OUT, BALL GAME" Obviously the coach comes unglued and his wife has to tame him. Great fun...first time all year for that call let alone to end the championship game...fun night.
Old Tue Jul 13, 2004, 05:28am
Official Forum Member

Well at least the batter can say that he finally "Got a hold of one", his last time up.
Old Tue Jul 13, 2004, 09:40am
Official Forum Member

I can only hope the coach didn't tell him to do this.
Old Tue Jul 13, 2004, 10:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CDcoach
I'm PU. Post season tourney 13-14 yr. Game is 9-8 last inning with home team behind and up to bat. 2 outs 1-2 count. The kid up to bat has struck out three times already so I'm ready for him to watch one. Pitch comes out of the pitchers hand and I can already tell it is the best pitch I'd seen all night. Waist high 4 inches in on the plate. Then, the kid drops the bat and reaches out takes one off his hand. "DEAD BALL, STRIKE THREE BATTERS OUT, BALL GAME" Obviously the coach comes unglued and his wife has to tame him. Great fun...first time all year for that call let alone to end the championship game...fun night.
Do you always yell "ball game" when the game is over?

Bottom of the 9th, bases loaded 2 outs. Ground ball to F4, and there is a close play at first. Umpire goes "He's out.... Ball Game."
Old Wed Jul 14, 2004, 03:36pm
Official Forum Member

Ldub it is a little different there than working HS ball. With that league thjere are so many time limits and run rules and such that umpires have made it a habit to call "ball game". And I've found if I dont they will try to run back on the field thinking they beat the time limit.
Old Wed Jul 14, 2004, 04:26pm

What?

It's still bad form.

We don't say "Ball four...take your base." or "Strike three...you're out."

Since this was the last inning...I'm fairly sure everyone was aware of that...no one was going to run out onto the field to beat a time limit.