The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jul 12, 2004, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

Base umpire calls "Field Balk" because firstbaseman is straddle the bag and has one foot in foul territory. No one I talk to has heard of this, nor has the Plate Umpire. Base Ump says all players must have both feet in field of play at pitch. I point out that the catcher obviously doesn't, and in my opinion, one foot puts the player on the field. I have been looking, in vain, for the answer. Appreciate any help.....
Old Mon Jul 12, 2004, 12:58pm
Official Forum Member

OBR 4.03: When the ball is put in play at the start of, or during a game, all fielders other than the catcher shall be on fair territory.

This does not call for a balk to be called EXCEPT when the catcher is not standing with both feet in the catcher's box during an intentional walk.

99 times out of 100, a first baseman holding a runner on with a foot in foul territory is overlooked. Sounds like this guy was trying to over-officiate or make himself look big because he "knew" every rule in the book or something.
Old Mon Jul 12, 2004, 01:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Kidcoach
Base umpire calls "Field Balk" because firstbaseman is straddle the bag and has one foot in foul territory. No one I talk to has heard of this, nor has the Plate Umpire. Base Ump says all players must have both feet in field of play at pitch. I point out that the catcher obviously doesn't, and in my opinion, one foot puts the player on the field. I have been looking, in vain, for the answer. Appreciate any help.....
OBR rules: 4.03. "when the ball is put in play at the stsrt of, or during a game , all fielders other than the catcher shall be on Fair teritory." Two feet..

Penalty: There is none.

The confusion comes about because directly below 4.03, 4.03a talks about the catcher remaining in the lines of the catchers box until the ball leaves the pitchers hand. The penalty for this is a Balk. EVERY year I hear abouta official that makes this call, incorrectly.
Old Mon Jul 12, 2004, 02:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Kidcoach
You were caught by one of the major rules myths.

Old Mon Jul 12, 2004, 03:08pm
Official Forum Member

Well the biggest misinterpretation of that rule is that the pitch designates the ball being PUT IN PLAY... which isn't true.

The ball is put in play when the umpire says "Play" (or otherwise signals a live ball) so a firstbaseman can stand in fair until the umpire makes the play live and then straddle the bag... he doesn't have to stay fair until the pitch...

If a pitcher can make a pick-off to first then the ball must be IN PLAY or he couldn't make a PLAY... thus if he can pick off then a firstbasemen is allowed to be in foul territory...

At least thats what I've heard... am I right?

ex. third baseman stands in normal position, umpire says play and points to the pitcher, ball is now live... prior to the pitch the third baseman can now go stand in foul territory and remain there throughout the pitch... correct?
Old Mon Jul 12, 2004, 05:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rmstone
Well the biggest misinterpretation of that rule is that the pitch designates the ball being PUT IN PLAY... which isn't true.

The ball is put in play when the umpire says "Play" (or otherwise signals a live ball) so a firstbaseman can stand in fair until the umpire makes the play live and then straddle the bag... he doesn't have to stay fair until the pitch...

If a pitcher can make a pick-off to first then the ball must be IN PLAY or he couldn't make a PLAY... thus if he can pick off then a firstbasemen is allowed to be in foul territory...

At least thats what I've heard... am I right?

ex. third baseman stands in normal position, umpire says play and points to the pitcher, ball is now live... prior to the pitch the third baseman can now go stand in foul territory and remain there throughout the pitch... correct?
No.

FED: One foot in foul is legal; two feet isn't (illegal pitch if it gets that far, but preventive umpiring should be applied).

OBR: One foot in foul is not legal, but it's not enforced until someone complains. Two feet isn't legal -- the umpire should get the player into fair territory, but it's not an illegal pitch, either.
Old Mon Jul 12, 2004, 05:47pm
Official Forum Member

Same as the pitcher taking signs off of the rubber.

Not supposed to do it, but there is no penalty.
Old Mon Jul 12, 2004, 06:48pm
Official Forum Member

PBUC 1.16: "Do not insist on the first baseman playing with both feet in fair territory unless the offensive team protests. If they do, you must enforce the rule as written. but make sure it is enforced for both teams."
Old Mon Jul 12, 2004, 06:57pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by DG
PBUC 1.16: "Do not insist on the first baseman playing with both feet in fair territory unless the offensive team protests. If they do, you must enforce the rule as written. but make sure it is enforced for both teams."
Thanks, DG.
I'm smarter than I was again.
mick
Old Tue Jul 13, 2004, 12:36am
Official Forum Member

"Field Balk"

No such call. This BU needs some serious rules training.
Old Tue Jul 13, 2004, 10:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
FED: One foot in foul is legal; two feet isn't (illegal pitch if it gets that far, but preventive umpiring should be applied).

OBR: One foot in foul is not legal, but it's not enforced until someone complains. Two feet isn't legal -- the umpire should get the player into fair territory, but it's not an illegal pitch, either.
How is it called if F3's foot is on the line? Some of the foot is foul some fair.
Old Tue Jul 13, 2004, 01:44pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by LDUB
How is it called if F3's foot is on the line? Some of the foot is foul some fair.
LDUB
It's called very loosely "a don't do that", unless someone makes an issue.
Then it is strictly called "a don't do that".
mick
Old Tue Jul 13, 2004, 01:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
mick
Yes, I understand that. I do not enforce this. But what if a manager complains, and the first baseman has his foot on both sides of the line?
Old Tue Jul 13, 2004, 02:01pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by LDUB
Quote:
Originally posted by mick
mick
Yes, I understand that. I do not enforce this. But what if a manager complains, and the first baseman has his foot on both sides of the line?
Luke,
Stop the game.
Say, "Please."
Restart when everyone is legal.

If the player leaves the game, make sure his foot goes with him.
mick