The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jul 12, 2004, 08:53am
Official Forum Member

Saw this on SportsCenter and wanted to ask the cognosceti here....

During a MLB game (I *think* this was the Cards game the other day where Tony LaRussa was banged out for arguing balls/strikes, but not sure), I watched a pitcher giving an intentional pass to a batter, tossing the four balls to the catcher...but during this entire sequence, the PU was standing upright behind the catchers box, with his mask off, holding it in his left hand down by his waist. He was idly watching the pitcher, looking bored.

Is this right? The pitcher is throwing a live ball, although I guess the bases were empty (camera didnt show that). Plus, even a soft intention-walk pitch is hard enough to hurt you if you take it off your unprotected face. Thoughts?

I guess my bigger question is, is there a 'mechanic' for observing/'managing' an IBB?
Old Mon Jul 12, 2004, 08:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by LMan
Saw this on SportsCenter and wanted to ask the cognosceti here....

During a MLB game (I *think* this was the Cards game the other day where Tony LaRussa was banged out for arguing balls/strikes, but not sure), I watched a pitcher giving an intentional pass to a batter, tossing the four balls to the catcher...but during this entire sequence, the PU was standing upright behind the catchers box, with his mask off, holding it in his left hand down by his waist. He was idly watching the pitcher, looking bored.

Is this right? The pitcher is throwing a live ball, although I guess the bases were empty (camera didnt show that). Plus, even a soft intention-walk pitch is hard enough to hurt you if you take it off your unprotected face. Thoughts?

I guess my bigger question is, is there a 'mechanic' for observing/'managing' an IBB?
Yes there is - unless you are earning $100,000 in the bigs, KEEP YOUR MASK ON! Remember, you have to go to work on Monday morning.
Old Mon Jul 12, 2004, 09:42am
Official Forum Member

Yeah this was the cards game... I saw it and thought it was odd too.
Old Mon Jul 12, 2004, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
although I guess the bases were empty (camera didnt show that)
I would expect that there were runners on, otherwise they wouldn't have been issuing an intentional walk. (Unless Barry Bonds was batting.)
Old Mon Jul 12, 2004, 11:00am
Official Forum Member

Yep,

Ed Montegue (for one) never wears his mask during an IBB.

He has done that for many, many years.

Tee
Old Mon Jul 12, 2004, 11:34am
Official Forum Member

I don't know how many times I have seen a pitcher throw a strike during this situation. Although, at the ML level you expect the pitcher to know what he is doing.

In a related situation, I saw a pitcher throw a strike yesterday when the catcher called for a pitch out. The umpire seeing the ball coming at him flinched, the catcher did managed to catch the ball.
Old Mon Jul 12, 2004, 07:13pm
Official Forum Member

Wear a mask, and be in a position to call a strike if you see one.
Old Mon Jul 12, 2004, 07:27pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by DG
Wear a mask, and be in a position to call a strike if you see one.
If the catcher is standing with his glove out, it wouldn't matter where the pitch was -- it's a ball. Although I'd love to see an umpire call a strike on one of these -- it would be entertaining to watch.
Old Mon Jul 12, 2004, 07:43pm
Official Forum Member

I forget the situation, and the players, but there is a fammous strike call in a situation like this. I want to say Johnny Bench was involved, but I can't remember. Anyway, it was a called third strike. I have never had a strike to call, but have always been ready for one, and I have had some players swing at pitches out of the zone but close enough to reach and I would rather watch that with my mask on.
Old Mon Jul 12, 2004, 07:49pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by DG
I forget the situation, and the players, but there is a fammous strike call in a situation like this. I want to say Johnny Bench was involved, but I can't remember. Anyway, it was a called third strike. I have never had a strike to call, but have always been ready for one, and I have had some players swing at pitches out of the zone but close enough to reach and I would rather watch that with my mask on.
I agree with that. I always keep my mask on, but I certainly don't set up to call a pitch. It only takes one wild swing to foul one back off the nose.

I'll admit I've done it occasionally in higher level games, though.

--Rich
Old Mon Jul 12, 2004, 08:01pm
Official Forum Member

I may have said "in a position to call a strike" but I did not mean the "regular" position. I generally stand straight up, with both hands on hips, with mask on, and I watch the pitch, in case there is a strike, or if there is something else to call. I don't want to mislead anyone to think I am in my normal stance.
Old Mon Jul 12, 2004, 09:04pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jim Porter Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Porter
I have witnessed a few times, most notably a couple of years ago when the Braves and Red Sox played interleague and the Sox tried this on Chipper Jones -- where a team will fake an IBB and then throw it down the middle. I'd hate to have my mask in my hand when the ball gets fouled straight back.