The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jun 16, 2004, 02:10pm
Official Forum Member

In an earlier post regarding bat slinging, mcrowder wrote, "Bat throwing is often a local rule. It is actually written into the Dixie rules - 1st offense is an out, no leeway."

My son umpires Dixie and he and I have talked about this issue. He is not aware of such a rule. I went online to the Dixie (ages 13 through 19) and Dixie Youth (ages 5 through 12) rules and could not find a rule such as mcrowder alleges.

Does Dixie or Dixie Youth have a written rule on bat slinging? If so, where did I overlook it?
Old Wed Jun 16, 2004, 03:03pm
Official Forum Member

I did the same search as you, and found nothing. Perhaps he was mistaken.
Old Wed Jun 16, 2004, 03:05pm
Official Forum Member

Or ... he could have temporarily thought he was in a softball board (I umpire both), and posted the Dixie softball rule. That mcrowder - he's an idiot.

(Sorry bout the confusion).
Old Wed Jun 16, 2004, 03:26pm
Official Forum Member

mcrowder:

Please do not think I was trying to show you up. I just wanted to make sure my son was not missing it. I'm not as into Dixie as I am Fed and OBR.

Thanks for the update!
Old Thu Jun 17, 2004, 06:37pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ace
We were told it is not a Dixie rule but our Texas director said we wont tolerate thrown bats. If it didnt come close to hitting anyone you'll get a warning... usually a coach takes care of that for me. Im all about keeping kids in games. 2nd time (or if first time comes close to hitting someone) its an out. Next time a player does it he is ejected for the remander of the game. I tossed the commishes son one night. I was at home, swing contact I stepped out, and the bat met my shoe. I pointed at the runner called him out on thrown bat. Next at bat- swing- contact- bat almot hits the commish/coach. Batters out - I have an ejection dead ball. (Thats how our league wanted it called - State just said dont tolerate it - its a saftey hazard. Commish and I always get along well on the field... He knows when he can joke and when he cant joke with me, as do most coaches so he just looked at me and then his son and told his son, dont look at me - he told ya twice.
Old Mon Jul 12, 2004, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

The slinging the bat rule is a carry-over from
Dixie Coach pitch where it is an out after a
warning.