The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jul 03, 2004, 11:47pm
Official Forum Member

Question

I believe this play has some previous discussion on this forum, but I’d like to clarify its legitimacy.

Runners on first and third. R1 takes his lead by running in a direct line from first base to the outer edge of the infield, a few steps into the outfield grass.

As for Fed, as defined in 8.4.2a N, “when a play is being made on a runner or batter-runner, he establishes his baseline as a directly between his position and the base toward which he is moving”.

Basically, Fed, in my opinion, says the runner, when played on, has to run in a direct line to second, or back to first.

My question is, working a lot of AABC games, which uses OBR, is the trick play still legal?

OBR 7.08 (a) (1) says, any runner is out when “he runs more than three feet away from a direct line between bases to avoid being tagged…”

Under the play, the runner isn’t really running away from the direct line between bases to avoid a tag. Instead, he’s starting out there to begin with. But, if played on, one has to believe this would constitute running outside that direct line to avoid such a tag, and he would be out.

I guess this ambiguity in semantics makes me unsure, and I’d like to hear the opinions of some of this board's veterans.

Nonetheless, in both Fed and OBR, the trick play can be successful in tricking the pitcher to balk, or just catching the defense off guard. As far as Fed, if the runner is smart, the runner can be played on, run directly to second, and unless he’s tagged, not draw an out call from me. But, under OBR, if the runner is played on, I’m leaning toward the out.

As always, thanks in advance for your assistance and expert opinions.

[Edited by Lilblue612 on Jul 4th, 2004 at 12:50 AM]
Old Sun Jul 04, 2004, 12:07am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by Lilblue612
I believe this play has some previous discussion on this forum, but I’d like to clarify its legitimacy.

Runners on first and third. R1 takes his lead by running in a direct line from first base to the outer edge of the infield, a few steps into the outfield grass.

As for Fed, as defined in 8.4.2a N, “when a play is being made on a runner or batter-runner, he establishes his baseline as a directly between his position and the base toward which he is moving”.

Basically, Fed, in my opinion, says the runner, when played on, has to run in a direct line to second, or back to first.

My question is, working a lot of AABC games, which uses OBR, is the trick play still legal?

OBR 7.08 (a) (1) says, any runner is out when “he runs more than three feet away from a direct line between bases to avoid being tagged…”

Under the play, the runner isn’t really running away from the direct line between bases to avoid a tag. Instead, he’s starting out there to begin with. But, if played on, one has to believe this would constitute running outside that direct line to avoid such a tag, and he would be out.

I guess this ambiguity in semantics makes me unsure, and I’d like to hear the opinions of some of this board's veterans.

Nonetheless, in both Fed and OBR, the trick play can be successful in tricking the pitcher to balk, or just catching the defense off guard. As far as Fed, if the runner is smart, the runner can be played on, run directly to second, and unless he’s tagged, not draw an out call from me. But, under OBR, if the runner is played on, I’m leaning toward the out.

As always, thanks in advance for your assistance and expert opinions.

[Edited by Lilblue612 on Jul 4th, 2004 at 12:50 AM]
My expert opinion is that it would make more sense to teach hitting, pitching, baserunning, and fielding, but I'm just an umpire.
Old Sun Jul 04, 2004, 08:16am
Official Forum Member

The runner establishes his own baseline. In Fed and OBR, the rule about a direct line refers to a direct line, and his position (exception is Force Play Slide Rule). So, if BR hits into the gap, rounds first, and goes half-way to left field, he's ok. If the defense plays on him, he now can only go three feet in either direction from a straight line between left field and the base he is going to.
Old Sun Jul 04, 2004, 09:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

But, under OBR, if the runner is played on, I’m leaning toward the out.

The play is legal under all codes. It's probably only effective for players who are at an age where they can run better than they can throw and catch.

The line you cited from OBR is one of the 456 "known erors."
Old Sun Jul 04, 2004, 07:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:

But, under OBR, if the runner is played on, I’m leaning toward the out.

The play is legal under all codes. It's probably only effective for players who are at an age where they can run better than they can throw and catch.

The line you cited from OBR is one of the 456 "known erors."
Where can I find the list of 456 known errors? That would be very interesting?
Old Sun Jul 04, 2004, 07:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DG

It was hyperbole. I don't know the exact number. I think it's really 1xx. One of the "usual sources" has its version of the list.

Old Sun Jul 04, 2004, 07:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:
Originally posted by DG

It was hyperbole. I don't know the exact number. I think it's really 1xx. One of the "usual sources" has its version of the list.

I was thinking that the word "peculiarity" might be more accurate than "error", and that 456 seemed like a lot.
Old Tue Jul 06, 2004, 05:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JCurrie
The runner establishes his own baseline. In Fed and OBR, the rule about a direct line refers to a direct line, and his position (exception is Force Play Slide Rule). So, if BR hits into the gap, rounds first, and goes half-way to left field, he's ok. If the defense plays on him, he now can only go three feet in either direction from a straight line between left field and the base he is going to.
OR he can stand there and wait... he doesn't have to run towards the tag... or run away from it...

neener neener neener... come and get me.
Old Wed Jul 07, 2004, 07:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DG

I was thinking that the word "peculiarity" might be more accurate than "error", and that 456 seemed like a lot.
Well, then, that makes 457 "errors"