The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jun 25, 2004, 12:42am
We don't rent pigs

This story is not about rules or officiating, so I apologize in advance to those who are offended by its irrelevance. But at the same time I felt compelled to share what I consider the damnedest kids sports story that I have ever been a part of with some who might appreciate it and possibly have helpful reflections. League policy for all star uniforms is navy blue shirt and red pants. Nobody knows why, as far as I know, but that's the way it is. This is not a huge deal to anyone, but is somewhat of a big deal to us 13-14 year old boys coaches, the only coaches who are required to dress in a uniform matching the team. (insert your own old fat guys in red pants joke here) I wore the red pants last year, and it didn't kill me. At the end of the season the league vice president mentioned, unsolicited, that perhaps it was time for a change to something a bit more subdued, and this might be considered by the board. I heartily agreed and endorsed the change. When it became apparent that my team was to come out on top again this year and that I would be head coach of the all stars, I asked about the change. Mr. Vice President smiled and said, "Sorry, it didn't happen." Okay, I accept this. BUT, I mentioned this matter in passing to the league president, who shrugged and said, "It doesn't matter. Wear whatever color pants you want." Great! Coincidentally, every team in our league this year wore gray pants, so this really seemed like a perfect fit. Last week during the all star selection meeting, presided over by the vice president, I mentioned what the president had said and that we were wearing gray. Vice president said, "If it works for y'all, it works for me." This information was handed down to the team at the parents meeting last week. (June 17)
Today (June 24) the league president calls me to say that the league vice president in charge of softball and "some of the other women board members" have come to complain about our color choice because "it's against board policy."
Bottom line: President and Vice President both yielded to the women and we have to wear red. I am still shocked and offended by this, not because I have to wear red, but because it was shoved down my throat after originating in what I considered a truly unbelievable manner.

Thanks for letting me vent.

Lonesome Dove
Old Fri Jun 25, 2004, 06:54am
Official Forum Member

I would protest at the first game and not wera any pants at all. That will teach them.
Old Fri Jun 25, 2004, 07:28am
In Memoriam

Cool

I wonder how many of the League mothers would wear those pants.
mick
Old Fri Jun 25, 2004, 07:40am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to jumpmaster Send a message via MSN to jumpmaster Send a message via Yahoo to jumpmaster
Talking

sounds like my wife...

Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here - CPT John Parker, April 19, 1775, Lexington, Mass
Old Fri Jun 25, 2004, 08:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Today (June 24) the league president calls me to say that the league vice president in charge of softball and "some of the other women board members" have come to complain about our color choice because "it's against board policy."
[/B]
Just curious. What is "against league policy," the color gray, or the way the change was decided? Why does the VP of softball have any say over baseball? Also, why is it policy for ONLY your division all-star coaches to wear uniforms? This whole thing sounds like nonsense typical of a group of "adults" power-hungry to run things their way.
Old Fri Jun 25, 2004, 08:41am
Official Forum Member

"Some of the other women board members" must be the wives of the President and Vice President. Need to make a point to get his changed in the bylaws next chance you get.
Old Fri Jun 25, 2004, 09:37am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by nine01c

Just curious. What is "against league policy," the color gray, or the way the change was decided?[/B]
Either or both, I'm actually not sure.

Quote:
Why does the VP of softball have any say over baseball?
An excellent question

Quote:
Also, why is it policy for ONLY your division all-star coaches to wear uniforms?
This is not our league policy, but a Dixie Boys Baseball rule. (another rule which nobody can explain why)

Quote:
This whole thing sounds like nonsense typical of a group of "adults" power-hungry to run things their way.
I think you hit the nail on the head.

Lonesome Dove

Last edited by just another ref; Fri Jul 06, 2012 at 11:39pm.
Old Fri Jun 25, 2004, 09:44am
Official Forum Member

You said "League policy for all star uniforms is navy blue shirt and red pants". The VP of Softball should not have any say over baseball, but being a board member is aware of the league policy. The fact that the VP of Softball is a busybody is irrelevent. Focus on changing the league policy officially if you don't want to wear red pants. It may be too late to do this year, but surely can be changed before next year.
Old Fri Jun 25, 2004, 05:34pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally posted by DG
Focus on changing the league policy officially if you don't want to wear red pants. It may be too late to do this year, but surely can be changed before next year.

Apparently this is already in the works, making the change for next year. To what? I don't know. It seems that a part of the problem here is that NOBODY likes the red pants. Therefore it evolved into a case of, "If we have to wear them, so do you!" Just the kind of thing you might expect.......if the league was run by 7 year olds.

Lonesome Dove
Old Fri Jun 25, 2004, 05:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by just another ref
Quote:
Originally posted by DG
Focus on changing the league policy officially if you don't want to wear red pants. It may be too late to do this year, but surely can be changed before next year.

Apparently this is already in the works, making the change for next year. To what? I don't know. It seems that a part of the problem here is that NOBODY likes the red pants. Therefore it evolved into a case of, "If we have to wear them, so do you!" Just the kind of thing you might expect.......if the league was run by 7 year olds.
I would have tried to really piss off the women by buying some white with red pinstripe pants and saying they were red with white pinstripes, big pinstripes, and that this met the rule for wearing red pants.

I coached in a league once where the all star team always wore white with blue pinstripes (ala NYY), shirt was button down. One year we decided to use two uniforms, Navy pullovers with red and white trim shirts (with their name on the back) with the blue pinstripes, and then the normal full pinstripe uniform. So we used the pinstripe pants for either uniform. Well the kids unanimously decided they wanted to wear blue socks with the full pinstripe uniform and red socks for the other uniform, and I did not care, I just wanted to win, and to have fun doing it. They also wanted red belts when they wore red socks (we wore blue belts with the pinstripe uniform). The parents bought the extra blue with red and white trim shirt, the extra pair of red socks, and the red belts. and the extra pair of socks. We went unbeaten through the district and state tournaments and finished 4th at regionals. And we had fun doing it. There was a little bit of stink raised about us having multiple uniforms until I told the ones raising the stink that the parents paid for the extras so shut up. We also used blue with red bill hats, which was new to the league, they had always used a solid blue hat with their navy pintstripe uniforms. Now with all these combinations you would think some would show up with some wrong combination, but it never happened. The kids (or their parents) understood what they were supposed to wear for each game. All I had to say was "blue shirt" or "white shirt" for the next game.

And when it was all over the kids had a shirt to keep, with their name on the back, because the parents paid for it. Of course we did not have any league rules on uniforms and no busybodys getting into our business. And I was determined to create an atmosphere for the kids that would promote a good experience.

[Edited by DG on Jun 25th, 2004 at 07:03 PM]
Old Sat Jun 26, 2004, 03:30am
Official Forum Member

Talking

Sounds like it's time for some civil disobedience. Have the whole team show up wearing grey pants. If they DQ the whole team, then there's really something wrong with the management of the league, and I'm pretty certain that the parents will not stand by idly over an issue as stupid as pant color. Not everybody can afford to buy an extra pair of pants for baseball. Heck, I know that I can't really afford to buy another pair of heather grey slacks for umping, nor can I afford to purchase a new pair of slacks for reffing ice hockey, yet they are my jobs and it's a requirement. How do they think parents can afford to purchase all this extra equipment for an all-star game?

-Craig
Old Sun Jun 27, 2004, 12:06am
We don't rent pigs

Common sense has prevailed (barely)

After further discussion, we were allowed to go ahead with our gray pants. This is probably not the last I will hear about it, but I am satisfied that I did nothing wrong and am prepared to defend my position to anyone who has a problem with it.

Lonesome Dove
Old Wed Jun 30, 2004, 12:26am
We don't rent pigs

Re: Common sense has prevailed (barely)

Quote:
After further discussion, we were allowed to go ahead with our gray pants. This is probably not the last I will hear about it, but I am satisfied that I did nothing wrong and am prepared to defend my position to anyone who has a problem with it.
I was right. That was not the last. After being told by the president to proceed on Friday, word trickled down on Monday, and another of our esteemed vice presidents came and announced that if we went ahead with our infernal gray pants conspiracy, either the entire board was going to quit or the president was going to have to quit. The president was out of town and could not be reached. My first thought, echoed by my 14 year old son was, "Let 'em quit."
Indeed, if these people would quit over this issue, their foundation is very shaky to be sure. When I asked a question to this effect, I was told that the pants color was not the whole story but, more or less, the straw that was about to break the camel's back, a question of following rules, proper chain of command, proper channels to go through in conducting league business, etc. So, let me get this straight: The president, in the name of common sense, has exercised veto power over the board's decision to insist on red pants. Apparently this veto is undeniable, as I was not threated with an ultimatum: "The board has overridden the veto, now you get red pants or you're fired." Instead, the decision was apparently still, at least to some degree, mine to change the color to fit league policy. (do the right thing?) To make a long story short, (too late) we changed to red. With some scrambling this morning, hopefully everyone will be "properly" outfitted in time by the weekend. I am still in disbelief that such a tiny issue was made so big, but I was unwilling to push the button which forced the ultimate confrontation.
Thanks for listening, now here's hoping for the best. In the midst of distraction and controversy, it is often difficult to remember that this is about kids pitching, hitting, and catching.

Lonesome Dove
Old Wed Jun 30, 2004, 01:31am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to akalsey Send a message via Yahoo to akalsey
Did you at least make them maroon or something? Close enough to red that you can insist you are wearing red, but outside the lines enough to point out how absurd they're being?
Old Wed Jun 30, 2004, 10:11pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Common sense has prevailed (barely)

Quote:
Quote:
I was right. That was not the last. After being told by the president to proceed on Friday, word trickled down on Monday, and another of our esteemed vice presidents came and announced that if we went ahead with our infernal gray pants conspiracy, either the entire board was going to quit or the president was going to have to quit. The president was out of town and could not be reached. My first thought, echoed by my 14 year old son was, "Let 'em quit."
Indeed, if these people would quit over this issue, their foundation is very shaky to be sure. When I asked a question to this effect, I was told that the pants color was not the whole story but, more or less, the straw that was about to break the camel's back, a question of following rules, proper chain of command, proper channels to go through in conducting league business, etc. So, let me get this straight: The president, in the name of common sense, has exercised veto power over the board's decision to insist on red pants. Apparently this veto is undeniable, as I was not threated with an ultimatum: "The board has overridden the veto, now you get red pants or you're fired." Instead, the decision was apparently still, at least to some degree, mine to change the color to fit league policy. (do the right thing?) To make a long story short, (too late) we changed to red. With some scrambling this morning, hopefully everyone will be "properly" outfitted in time by the weekend. I am still in disbelief that such a tiny issue was made so big, but I was unwilling to push the button which forced the ultimate confrontation.
Thanks for listening, now here's hoping for the best. In the midst of distraction and controversy, it is often difficult to remember that this is about kids pitching, hitting, and catching.
I agree with your son, let em quit... The president told you grey was fine. Until he tells you otherwise, grey is fine. That, is chain of command. If the board wants to fire the president, or quit, that's their business.