The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jun 24, 2004, 07:44am
Official Forum Member

Ok, I work a summer rec league in our town who just plays other rec teams from the area. Played under FED. Other night I have no out, none on base and the following transpired. Ball hit to F3 who boots it and it rolls towards second base. Recovers in time and its a foot race directly to the bag between B1 and F3. We've got a double bag at first base. F3 leaps for the bag, beats the runner by a split second and then both end up in a heap on the field. First of all, we're lucky no one was injured as it was a pretty nasty collision with a couple of 13 year olds. Now, here's my question. F3 never touched the White portion of the bag. Rather his leap carried him over the white portion and onto the orange. Runner then touched orange a split second later. I called runner safe because unless the throw comes from the foul side of first base, the orange part of the bag is non-existant to the fielder. Or should I have called him out and then only changed to safe if the offense appealed it? Thanks for your input.
Old Thu Jun 24, 2004, 07:46am
Official Forum Member

This is not an appeal play. Safe.
Old Thu Jun 24, 2004, 07:47am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to jumpmaster Send a message via MSN to jumpmaster Send a message via Yahoo to jumpmaster
good call. The local rule of "unless the throw comes from the foul side of first base, the orange part of the bag is non-existant to the fielder" is the answer.

Runner's safe b/c fielder did not touch the bag.

Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here - CPT John Parker, April 19, 1775, Lexington, Mass
Old Thu Jun 24, 2004, 09:41am
Official Forum Member

The orange safety base causes far more problems than it's ever going to prevent.
Old Fri Jun 25, 2004, 07:57am
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the help. Now that I think about it jumpmaster, i was applying the softball rules for the double base to baseball on that te orange part can only be used if the throw comes from the foul side of the bag. Tornado, I agree with you 200%. If they would just teach the kids how to properly play the position, we wouldn't have problems at all using a regular base at first.
Old Fri Jun 25, 2004, 09:42am
Official Forum Member

Maybe someday, after some kid gets hurt in a collision at home plate, we will have forced upon us a second home plate, as is used in senior softball, "8 feet from the back tip of home plate on an extended line from 1B."

I've never done a game with two home plates, but I understand that after the runner from 3B advances past a certain line, he cannot return to 3B—and the play at home is treated as a force.

Example:

Gramps get an extra-base hit. He rounds third and then advances past the line of no return. As he tries to make it to home plate #2, the defense throws to home plate #1. F2 tags home plate #1 before Gramps makes it home plate #2, so Gramps is out.
Old Fri Jun 25, 2004, 10:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by greymule
Maybe someday, after some kid gets hurt in a collision at home plate, we will have forced upon us a second home plate, as is used in senior softball, "8 feet from the back tip of home plate on an extended line from 1B."

I've never done a game with two home plates, but I understand that after the runner from 3B advances past a certain line, he cannot return to 3B—and the play at home is treated as a force.

Example:

Gramps get an extra-base hit. He rounds third and then advances past the line of no return. As he tries to make it to home plate #2, the defense throws to home plate #1. F2 tags home plate #1 before Gramps makes it home plate #2, so Gramps is out.
That is the stupidest idea that I have ever hear of in my life. The reason that people get hurt at home is because the catcher is blocking the plate. So if you put down a second plate, the catcher will just move and block that one. It works OK at first base becuase there are no tags involved. Just whoever touches the base first. I would like to have someone steal home with this second home plate. The catcher would catch the pitch, then have to turn and run 8 feet behind him and try to tag the runner.
Old Fri Jun 25, 2004, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

Maybe I explained it wrong, LDUB. The runner always goes to plate #2 (there is even a second baseline drawn), but the defense always makes the play at plate #1. (The catcher is not permitted to go over to plate #2 and tag the runner.) In fact, there are never any tags at home plate. The ump watches to see whether the "force" at plate #1 is achieved before the runner touches plate #2, 8 feet away. How they treat a missed plate #2, I don't know.

I doubt that MLB is considering instituting this system.
Old Fri Jun 25, 2004, 12:08pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jxt127
Don't forget that if the ball gets past the catcher AND past the 2nd plate the catcher now has to tag the ghost runner at the backplate and the runner has to avoid the ghost tag at the regular plate.
Calvinball 7.08(l) Exception
Old Fri Jun 25, 2004, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by greymule

Example:

All of the above is true...mostly occurs in adult slow pitch softball where bodies aren't as resiliant and brains are often turned off.

Another variation is the 'scoring line'..same function as a second plate..line is drawn back from the plate...catcher plays the plate, runner must cross the line.