Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jun 24, 2004, 04:16am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to PAT THE REF
Arrow

Hello all,
I was thinking today about how much do the "professional umpires" get paid per game? Does anyone know how much MLB or NCAA officials recieve per game? Is there a diffrence between NL and AL? Just was wondering.....
I was also passed over a website a while ago and it talked about whether or not an umpire could live on his/her salary..... Any idea's on that?

Any information would help - Thank you
Old Thu Jun 24, 2004, 04:25am
Official Forum Member

The starting MLB salary for umps is around $100,000 and veterans get well over $200,000.
Old Thu Jun 24, 2004, 08:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PAT THE REF
Hello all,
I was thinking today about how much do the "professional umpires" get paid per game? Does anyone know how much MLB or NCAA officials recieve per game? Is there a diffrence between NL and AL? Just was wondering.....
I was also passed over a website a while ago and it talked about whether or not an umpire could live on his/her salary..... Any idea's on that?

Any information would help - Thank you
NCAA pay varies widely. There are a few conferences that pay up to $250 per game but umpires rarely work more than a dozen of those games per year. Tournament games like the regionals and CWS pay more but good luck getting one of those.

More typical is pay ranging from $100 to $150 for NCAA D1 down to $55-80 for Juco. I am talking about 9 inning fees here so adjust accordingly for 7 inning.

I know of a handful of umpires that make a living at officiating (outside of MLB.) They work multiple sports and might gross $20,000 per year. None of them have families with kids. They typically officiate 300 - 350 games a year at an average fee of around $60. Those kinds of umpires cannot be picky and end up working a lot of very crappy ball.

Most end of with very bad attitudes towards the coaches and players. Working that much hurts your game. Rain for a couple of days can take a big hunk out of your wallet and you may need financial assistance from your friends.

I recall that when the sniper closed down DC outdoor sports for three weeks in 2002, a couple of umpires were really hurting. They lost over $1500 which they could not afford to lose.

The most successful have working wives who indulge their hobby. For the most part, these women never see their husbands. The husbands are heading out the door for a DH or more around the time the wives get home from work.

Peter
Old Thu Jun 24, 2004, 10:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tornado
The starting MLB salary for umps is around $100,000 and veterans get well over $200,000.
Anybody know how much for the different levels of Minor League Baseball?
Old Thu Jun 24, 2004, 11:13am
Official Forum Member

Minor League Pay

The salaries in the minors are listed on the Minor League Baseball web page:

http://minorleaguebaseball.com/pages/?id=122

While there are some variations, the general template is:

Class AAA: $2,500-3,400 per month
Class AA: $2,200-2,400 per month
Class A-Full Season: $1,900-2,200 per month
Class A-Short Season & Rookie: $1,800-2,000 per month

Hello again, everybody. It's a bee-yooo-tiful day for baseball.
- Harry Caray
Old Thu Jun 24, 2004, 02:04pm

$

There is also independent Minor League baseball.
The pay rates differs across the U.S. ranges from $90 - $120 per guy (three man crews).

A lot of major college conference baseball will pay your fees and mileage.

When the strike happened a few years back, a number of scabs were paid $300 a game, plus their travel and hotel.
Old Thu Jun 24, 2004, 07:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tornado
I read on the Minor Leagues website that AAA crews get a free rental car. Is this the same in MLB? I assume that MLB umpires also get food money, anybody know how much? Are there any other perks that they get?