The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jun 23, 2004, 10:00am
Official Forum Member

hi all - i'm new here, and this site is excatly what i've been looking for, especially as still being a 'rookie' in the umpiring field, and seeing new things everyday.

here's one thats really bugging me. it may be an easy one for you veterans, but i need to know if this is even debatable.

i had a batter swing (and miss) so hard that that he basically took one step out of the batters box in front of the plate on his momentum. of course, the runner was stealing, and the catcher on his throw collided with the batter trying to regain his balance. (the runner was safe) Everyone started yelling interference, so i thought about it for a few seconds and called it only because the batter was pretty much out in front of the plate.

but, thinking about it now, along with the obviousness of the batters movement being unintentional, the catcher who sets up 2 - 4 feet behind home plate, essentially needed a 3 - 6 foot throwing lane to get the ball off. he collided with the batter in front of home plate as he was letting the ball go! It just makes me wonder that maybe i could have let it go considering it could have been turned around and made the play the catchers own fault for crashing into the batter. what if it had been a dropped third strike, the batter started for first, but the catcher decided to try for the runner at second, or for that matter stepped out in front of the plate to throw to first as the batter started to run etc. etc.

any opinions? thanks
Old Wed Jun 23, 2004, 10:29am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to jumpmaster Send a message via MSN to jumpmaster Send a message via Yahoo to jumpmaster
good call

you made the right call.

word of caution - stop listening to the fans, most of the time they are wrong.

Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here - CPT John Parker, April 19, 1775, Lexington, Mass
Old Wed Jun 23, 2004, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

Dan:

Your play is a classic example of batter interference. It does not matter if it was intentional, or not (usually it is not). If the batter makes any unusual motion (even if still in the box), or steps out of the box and gets in the way of F2 making that throw, he has interfered. If F2 throws out the runner anyway at 2B, then you ignore the "interference" since he didn't actually interfere.

Don't overthink this and decide where the catcher is setting up, and how much room he neeeds to throw, etc...

Your second question will most likely be batter interference also, becuase the catcher has the right to field or throw the ball without being interfered with
(the same explaination as above).

Read OBR Rule 6.06 for further clarification.
Old Wed Jun 23, 2004, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

Just remember, the rule book does NOT discuss INTENT. Either you interfer or you don't. If you do there is a penalty to pay.

I consider this a bread & butter call that separates the good umpires from the mediocre. It almosts never fails after I make that call, that the catcher states that it is seldom called. I don't know how true it really is but, to me it is one of those "never fail to call rules" that show that you really know what your doing back there.
Old Wed Jun 23, 2004, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

Not so sure on the second scenario (dropped third strike).

7.09(l): When a catcher and batter runner going to first base have contact when the catcher is fielding the ball, there is generally no violation and nothing should be called.

Defense screwed up. Don't reward them.
Old Wed Jun 23, 2004, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan S.
but, thinking about it now, along with the obviousness of the batters movement being unintentional,
AS others have pointed out, intent doesn't matter here.

That said, I'd really question whether it was unintentional. How often do batters fall / step in front of the plate when a runner isn't stealing? Approximately never.

Old Wed Jun 23, 2004, 11:48am
Official Forum Member

thanks everyone....glad to know i was right.

it wasnt the fans yelling, it was the defense. i dont mind the yelling, at least not yet, because it makes me aware of what happened so i can collect my thoughts and make a decision. i was umpping this game myself in a men's league, so i've obviously got a lot going on, especially in this case. call the pitch, get out to make the call, watch batter and catcher, watch the runner and fielder, not trip over own two feet, dont blink, ...etc. etc.

i am not persuaded by what others 'think' happened, no matter how insistent or immature they tend to be, or who they are. i call it as i see it according to the rules to the best of my ability.
Old Wed Jun 23, 2004, 11:53am
Official Forum Member

That said, I'd really question whether it was unintentional. How often do batters fall / step in front of the plate when a runner isn't stealing? Approximately never.

you're right in general, but ive seen it happen. batter swings so hard he falls, loses balance etc. plus, in this situation, it was a 48 and over league, and this guy was a good 65. i felt terrible making that call on him, because, well, he was 65 and just had no control over that.
Old Wed Jun 23, 2004, 02:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Ives
Not so sure on the second scenario (dropped third strike).

7.09(l): When a catcher and batter runner going to first base have contact when the catcher is fielding the ball, there is generally no violation and nothing should be called.
True. In this case only an INTENTIONAL act by BR would be ruled interference.