The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 22, 2004, 12:56am
We don't rent pigs

Our Dixie Boys league is fielding 2 tournament teams this year for the first time in quite some time. The problem is that only one coach, me, is interested in coaching the 14 year old team. We (our league president & I) both contacted the guy in charge (district director?) and were told that at the state level 3 were really necessary but at the district level 2 would be all right. I told him that at the moment we only had 1. He said that we should try to find another and that the rule requiring all tournament coaches to also be regular season coaches (0.49) would be waived in this case. Upon reading the rules further, 0.21 states "Only thirteen players and three coaches shall be permitted on the field or bench." I read this to refer only to the maximum number allowed as opposed to "Each team must have at least two coaches present at each game." Anyone have experience with this situation which would apply here?

Lonesome Dove
Old Tue Jun 22, 2004, 04:10am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
Depends on the league/tourney in my experience. I would find the rules and if it states a maximum then 1 would be fine. I personally would not be on the field unless I had a second coach, if I were a coach.

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.
Old Tue Jun 22, 2004, 07:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by just another ref
Our Dixie Boys league is fielding 2 tournament teams this year for the first time in quite some time. The problem is that only one coach, me, is interested in coaching the 14 year old team. We (our league president & I) both contacted the guy in charge (district director?) and were told that at the state level 3 were really necessary but at the district level 2 would be all right. I told him that at the moment we only had 1. He said that we should try to find another and that the rule requiring all tournament coaches to also be regular season coaches (0.49) would be waived in this case. Upon reading the rules further, 0.21 states "Only thirteen players and three coaches shall be permitted on the field or bench." I read this to refer only to the maximum number allowed as opposed to "Each team must have at least two coaches present at each game." Anyone have experience with this situation which would apply here?
If playing DIXIE, you MUST have one coach in the dugout any time there are boys in there. You may use a team member as 1st base coach while on offense, but an adult coach has to be at 3B. This would mean you will need at least 2 coaches, (or adults) on the field. The adult in the dugout is a new ruling for this year. My dixie book is hiding right now, but look for that dugout clause, it is towards the front of book, and is in shaded print.
Old Tue Jun 22, 2004, 08:06am
Official Forum Member

What Idiots!!

These people should be thankful someone is willing to take 13-14yr old kids and keep them out of trouble. No instead they are worried about 1 coach, or two. I would take the kids and make then force you off the field and then they look like the hard A$$$$, in the local paper.

LET THEM PLAY! LET THEM PLAY!
Old Tue Jun 22, 2004, 10:48am
Official Forum Member

WRONG! They are not idiots. They are trying to ensure there is proper adult supervision. Like the earlier poster said - you have to have an adult 3rd base coach ... so if you only have 1 coach, you have no adult in the dugout.

PS - I'm a Dixie District Director as well, albeit for softball. If I ran across this, I would also waive the rule that coaches must be from the regular season. Do you really not have a single parent (male or female) willing to help take your kids to the tournament? I'm shocked.
Old Tue Jun 22, 2004, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mcrowder
WRONG! They are not idiots. They are trying to ensure there is proper adult supervision. Like the earlier poster said - you have to have an adult 3rd base coach ... so if you only have 1 coach, you have no adult in the dugout.

PS - I'm a Dixie District Director as well, albeit for softball. If I ran across this, I would also waive the rule that coaches must be from the regular season. Do you really not have a single parent (male or female) willing to help take your kids to the tournament? I'm shocked.
So now there are rules that decide how many adults it will take to screw a lightbulb. Must we try to legislate everything.

As a Director I certainly would be discussing with that one coach about his control of the team and if he assured me of that , I would let them play ball. That is what the league and post season activities are about. Maximizing involement.

I have coached many , many , many games by myself with up to 15 or more players and for someone to be making rules that decide how many adults it takes to have "Proper adult supervision", is pure crap. If the coach is willing to take on the responisbility, then by god "Let the kids play".

If your that concerned about proper supervision, as a director I would say that I will help you out if necessary but, by all means I would find ways for the kids to play.
Old Tue Jun 22, 2004, 01:48pm
We don't rent pigs

[QUOTE]Originally posted by JEL
Quote:
If playing DIXIE, you MUST have one coach in the dugout any time there are boys in there. You may use a team member as 1st base coach while on offense, but an adult coach has to be at 3B. This would mean you will need at least 2 coaches, (or adults) on the field. The adult in the dugout is a new ruling for this year. My dixie book is hiding right now, but look for that dugout clause, it is towards the front of book, and is in shaded print.
One coach is the dugout is true of Dixie Youth, I believe, but not Dixie Boys. I find no such rule about the dugout, but someone please correct me if I am wrong.

Lonesome Dove
Old Tue Jun 22, 2004, 01:52pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally posted by jicecone
What Idiots!!

These people should be thankful someone is willing to take 13-14yr old kids and keep them out of trouble. No instead they are worried about 1 coach, or two. I would take the kids and make then force you off the field and then they look like the hard A$$$$, in the local paper.

LET THEM PLAY! LET THEM PLAY!
This is kinda the attitude I took, perhaps in slightly milder language. (for now) The last thing the district guy said was: "We are not going to not let you play because of not enough coaches, and that's all I'm going to say." I take this as encouraging, but I'm not certain that he wasn't still thinking 2 but not necessarily 3.

Lonesome Dove
Old Tue Jun 22, 2004, 02:04pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:

We have 11 boys on the team. Out of the 11 we have 2 dads with any baseball experience/background/knowledge/interest?
1 is coaching softball and the other has coached in the past and is willing to help, but now has health problems (including seizures) and has been on the edge of being barred from our field on more than one occasion for various run-ins with other coaches/parents/league officials. Also a problem in recruiting another coach is the rule that all coaches must be in uniform. This is a hurdle that flatly stops many men here. My wife has said that she would be willing to serve as the other coach if necessary, but she is already our team mom/scorekeeper and putting on a uniform and stepping on the field is not something that she is at all comfortable in doing. (For some reason the word circus comes to mind.) I am more comfortable coaching alone than adding someone at this point that is an outsider to baseball in general, or at least to me and my team.

Lonesome Dove
Old Tue Jun 22, 2004, 02:22pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to akalsey Send a message via Yahoo to akalsey
Explain to the parents that their kids might not get to play unless one of the parents is willing to put on a uniform and watch their kid play from the dugout instead of the bleachers.
Old Tue Jun 22, 2004, 02:23pm
Official Forum Member

You really need SOMEONE in there with you. Even if they know nothing.

Jicecone - what happens to the team if the singular coach gets himself ejected? I agree with "Let 'em play!", in fact it's an overriding rally cry in Dixie. But you have to have an adult there. Surely a coach can find a warm body to sit in the dugout if for no other reason than ejection-insurance and extra supervision.
Old Tue Jun 22, 2004, 04:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You really need SOMEONE in there with you. Even if they know nothing.

Jicecone - what happens to the team if the singular coach gets himself ejected? I agree with "Let 'em play!", in fact it's an overriding rally cry in Dixie. But you have to have an adult there. Surely a coach can find a warm body to sit in the dugout if for no other reason than ejection-insurance and extra supervision.
I hear what your saying but does this sound like the type of guy that is gonna let that happen.

"We have 11 boys on the team. Out of the 11 we have 2 dads with any baseball experience/background/knowledge/interest?
1 is coaching softball and the other has coached in the past and is willing to help, but now has health problems (including seizures) and has been on the edge of being barred from our field on more than one occasion for various run-ins with other coaches/parents/league officials. Also a problem in recruiting another coach is the rule that all coaches must be in uniform. This is a hurdle that flatly stops many men here. My wife has said that she would be willing to serve as the other coach if necessary, but she is already our team mom/scorekeeper and putting on a uniform and stepping on the field is not something that she is at all comfortable in doing. (For some reason the word circus comes to mind.) I am more comfortable coaching alone than adding someone at this point that is an outsider to baseball in general, or at least to me and my team."

I would be willing to say No. Let Them Play.
Old Tue Jun 22, 2004, 10:02pm
Official Forum Member

Try to get a high school or college baseball player (age 18+) to help you out. Usually guys/gals that age like to coach younger kids. Sometimes they need credits for community service or church projects. Supervision in the dugout is just good common sense, even if the organization doesn't require it. Might want to put the assistant at third base, coach in dugout.