The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jun 19, 2004, 11:44pm
Official Forum Member

I have two questions.
When I was a kid I was taught to come out in front of the plate to field the ball for a play at home, though a couple said straddle, and after catching the ball to step the left foot/knee into the baseline facing 3rd. If I'm reading 7.07 right I stop the play at home alright, but put a runner on first! What am I missing here? Where is the catcher supposed to set up now? And at what point is the batter 'interfering' with the play?

Related question: I heard a manager today telling his catcher to straddle the base, but when he got the ball to drop to his knees like a hockey goalie blocking a shot. Again, I was taught, if I had the ball I could occupy the baseline, but still had to provide a path to the base. (7.06 with a little license?)

Thanks,
SD
Old Sun Jun 20, 2004, 12:04am
Official Forum Member

7.07 is about a squeeze play. The catcher needs to catch the ball from his normal position before trying to get the runner out from 3B.

On other plays at the plate that are not squeezes, the catcher should set up with his left foot on the left front corner of the plate, and move this foot to block the plate as soon as he has the ball, or the ball is so close in flight (ie in flight in the dirt area) that he can be considered "making a play". If the catcher has the ball he can block the plate and does not, and should not, provide the runner a path to the plate. Stradling the plate is not a good catcher mechanic, it just creates arguments (ie he slid under the tag Blue). If the catcher has the ball, block the plate, case closed.

Edited by DG on Jun 20th, 2004 at 03:13 AM]

[Edited by DG on Jun 20th, 2004 at 03:14 AM]
Old Sun Jun 20, 2004, 12:06am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to akalsey Send a message via Yahoo to akalsey
7.07 only applies to a squeeze or steal, not a play from the field at home.
Old Sun Jun 20, 2004, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

As you have seen above, OBR 7.07 concerns a pitch and not a thrown ball so forget that rule.

When your setting up for a thrown ball you have to anticipate before the ball is released and after the ball is released depending on the situation at hand. Such things would be, is it a tag or a force, are there less than two out and a throw to a base for two is required, where the ball is coming from, is the ball on line etc. Things change according to the situation.

As to blocking the base. Once the ball is in the air and it is on or over the infield you are now making a play (FIELDING A BALL) and cannot be charged with obstruction so you don't have to have the ball "IN HAND" TO BLOCK THE BASE UNDER OBR.

Read OBR 7.06:"......The base line belongs to the runner and the catcher should be there only when he is FIELDING A BALL or has the ball in hand". (MY EMPHASIS)
-----------------------------------------------------

I have two questions.
When I was a kid I was taught to come out in front of the plate to field the ball for a play at home, though a couple said straddle, and after catching the ball to step the left foot/knee into the baseline facing 3rd. If I'm reading 7.07 right I stop the play at home alright, but put a runner on first! What am I missing here? Where is the catcher supposed to set up now? And at what point is the batter 'interfering' with the play?

Related question: I heard a manager today telling his catcher to straddle the base, but when he got the ball to drop to his knees like a hockey goalie blocking a shot. Again, I was taught, if I had the ball I could occupy the baseline, but still had to provide a path to the base. (7.06 with a little license?)

Thanks,
SD

[Edited by Gee on Jun 20th, 2004 at 05:55 PM]
Old Sun Jun 20, 2004, 01:54pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks gents. While I read 'squeeze' I think what tracked me off was the 'steal' part. I envisioned a pitcher standing on the grass, taking a throw back from the catcher, and absentmindedly turning around to walk back to the rubber and the kid on third taking off. Thanks for the good info. If I can get the 'right stuff' in their heads when their 8-10, then life should be easier for you when calling their games in Majors/Babe Ruth/Etc.
Old Sun Jun 20, 2004, 04:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Gee
As you have seen above, OBR 7.07 concerns a pitch and not a throw ball so forget that rule.

When your setting up for a thrown ball you have to anticipate before the ball is released and after the ball is released depending on the situation at hand. Such things would be, is it a tag or a force, are there less than two out and a throw to a base for two is required, where the ball is coming from, is the ball on line etc. Things change according to the situation.

As to blocking the base. Once the ball is in the air and it is on or over the infield your are now making a play (FIELDING A BALL) and cannot be charged with obstruction so you don't have to have the ball IN HAND TO BLOCK THE BASE UNDER OBR.

Read OBR 7.06:"......The base line belongs to the runner and the catcher should be there only when he is FIELDING A BALL or has the ball in hand". (MY EMPHASIS)
-----------------------------------------------------

I have two questions.

Thanks,
SD

In order for there to be a play, there must be a ball and a runner. A ball is in the air over the infield does not qualify as a play. Example: R1 on second base, next batter hits a ball into right field for a base hit. R1 is heading for home and F9 has thrown the ball towards home plate. F2 blocks the plate and the relay throw is cut off by F3 who is located about thirty feet from the plate. There's no play at home so F2 should not be blocking the plate. F2 is not fielding the ball and does not have the ball.

Michael

Old Sun Jun 20, 2004, 05:52pm
Veteran College Umpire

One of the first baseball lessons a fielder(usually the catcher or first baseman) learns the hard way is not to stand on top of the base when there's a runner coming and no ball doing the same. We've all seen it. Some of us have been able to say, "Get out of the way if you don't have the ball". Some of us have just had to watch a kid, dazed, pick himself up off the ground while he hears a "ringing" in his ears. And then they may hear, "OBSTRUCTION!" to boot. Lesson usually learned the first time. (We won't go into ejections for drilling that fielder here - it isn't the lesson to be learned this time!).
Old Sun Jun 20, 2004, 08:48pm
Official Forum Member

I don't remember where I read it, but somewhere I read that a ball inflight to the catcher was close enough to be considered "making a play" when the ball was over the dirt area around home, ie 13 feet from the plate. A ball just released by an infielder is not close enough, and the catcher should not block the plate until it get's closer to the plate. Close enough would be umpire judgement.
Old Mon Jun 21, 2004, 09:01pm
Official Forum Member

DG,
You've been at this MUCH longer then me, but 13ft? I thought High School/College was 60 ft, but most kinda went with the 'over the infield dirt' thumb rule since there is no scale laid out on the ground. Besides, assuming a ball thrown at ~60mph, 13 feet would only give the catcher a little over a tenth of a second to make that move. Not saying you're wrong.... but just might want to check your notes.
SD
Old Mon Jun 21, 2004, 09:16pm

The ball is in the air on it's way to the catcher, the runner is coming down the line, you've had to watch him hit the bags, make sure the throw is coming in, line up the play and now you're going to guesstimate if the ball is inside of the thirteen foot radius? No chance.

The catcher or fielder (doesn't have to be the catcher on a passed ball) must be in the imminent act of trying to make a play on the runner. That means is he watching the ball or looking where his feet are? In the Big 12 Championship last year, a pitcher was spiked by a guy busting home on a passed ball. The umpire saw that he dropped his entire left leg down to block the dish (dumb a**) before the catcher even had the ball. The kid was called out, but the offensive coach went crazy, that he blocked the bag without the ball.

A lot of these guys can rope it home, no problem, so if the throw is coming from right or center, set up third base extended and get a good look at the action. If that ball is in the air and over the infield grass, he is making a play.
Old Mon Jun 21, 2004, 10:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Saltydog
DG,
You've been at this MUCH longer then me, but 13ft? I thought High School/College was 60 ft, but most kinda went with the 'over the infield dirt' thumb rule since there is no scale laid out on the ground. Besides, assuming a ball thrown at ~60mph, 13 feet would only give the catcher a little over a tenth of a second to make that move. Not saying you're wrong.... but just might want to check your notes.
SD
I don't remember where I read 13 feet, but 60 feet should be way beyond the limit for "making a play". Dirt around home plate is good rule of thumb, if the ball is not in flight over the dirt, then don't block the plate. You don't see obstruction at the plate in MLB very often (I can't remember the last time), but you also have major league catchers who know when they can block the plate.
Hey 13 feet, 1/10 of second, that's what we are paid for. The easy ones are, well EASY..