The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jun 17, 2004, 10:07am
Official Forum Member

I help run a 11U league and I have a situation I need to rule on.

tied at end of 6th inning, top of 7 visitors score and UMP calls game because he needs to go ump another game. Home team supplies UMP, visitors say they win becuase home team suppied UMP left game.

Season ends this weekend with no time to finish game, how should I rule?
Old Thu Jun 17, 2004, 10:21am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to wobster
Although that is an odd situation that shouldn't happen, I would say whoever was ahead at the end of the 6th is the winner. I have never heard of an umpire calling a game so he could do another.
Old Thu Jun 17, 2004, 10:35am
Official Forum Member

it was Tie at the end of 6 innings. FED rules is a tie a tie, if the game is called after 5 or 6 innings when it is a tie, does it end a tie, that is what the rules looks like.
Old Thu Jun 17, 2004, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to akalsey Send a message via Yahoo to akalsey
Under LL rules if a game is called in an incomplete inning, the game officially ends at the end of the previous inning if the visiting team ties the score or takes the lead in the incomplete inning and the home team does not tie or retake the lead.

So if you don't resume the game, it's a tie. Under LL rules games that end in an tie must be continued.

I can't find a definition of reasons an umpire can call a game, but "because I have to go do something else" shouldn't be one of them. Is there a published ruling that gives a list of legitimate reasons to call a game? Common ones in LL are darkness, weather, and curfew.
Old Thu Jun 17, 2004, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

Rule 4 art 3 says weather or darkness ends the game and it reverts back to the last inning, in this case the last inning ended in a tie. So I would say I can say should revert back to the last inning since the game was not called because of weather or darkness. Also under Art. 2 Note 1 says if an over the fennce homre run is hit all runs score before the game is terminated and this is how the visitors went ahead in the top of the 7th. I can't see giving a tie in this situation unless the rules says I should.
Old Thu Jun 17, 2004, 11:06am
Official Forum Member

Make time to finish the game and make the umpire come back and do it.

Do you run the league or don't you?

Old Thu Jun 17, 2004, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

Originally posted by jesmael

tied at end of 6th inning, top of 7 visitors score and UMP calls game because he needs to go ump another game. Home team supplies UMP, visitors say they win becuase home team suppied UMP left game.

Season ends this weekend with no time to finish game, how should I rule? [/B][/QUOTE]

There's some issues going on here that need to be addressed .

1. The UMP cannot call the GAME because he /she has to go to another game. Yes there are Emergency situations, but getting to another game IMO does not fall under that category.

2. Game ending procedures are left up to the league who runs the program, meaning you could suspend the game or Play the game from it's entirety. It all depends. Why in it's entirety.

Here's an exerp from the OBR 4.12 concerning suspended games

Any regulation game called due to weather with the score tied (unless situation outlined in 4.12 (a) (5) (i) prevails) is a tie game and must be replayed in its entirety.

We have the Score tied at the end of 6, and the umpire left. The aforementioned rule doesn't spefically cover an umpiring leaving but one could rule as with the game called due to weather.

If this game were played using FED rules, unless your State has adopted game-ending procedures, the Game is replayed in it's entirety.

In the absence of any game ending Procedures voted upon by your Specific Association, here's how you could rule. Since a winner could not be determined and you cannot finish the game, then each team gets 1/2 game won and 1/2 game lost.

If you have a playoff type system, and this game means the difference between one team making it and one team going home for the summer, then IMO Do what you can to pick up the game starting at the Top of 7. if the team has to play 2 games in one day, well that's better then playing no game and it means they are still in the hunt.

Side Note: That's why it is very important to have Game Ending Procedures in any organization.

Pete Booth
Old Thu Jun 17, 2004, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

1..Fire that ump.

2..Set makeup date, continue game with DIFFERENT ump.

3..Fire first ump.

4..Set rules for suspended games.

5..Oh yeah, fire that ump.

6..If he is a member of an umpires' association, tell them what happened.

7..If you didn't get the message before, FIRE HIM!
Old Thu Jun 17, 2004, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to akalsey Send a message via Yahoo to akalsey
But Bluezebra, what should happen to the ump?
Old Fri Jun 18, 2004, 03:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jesmael

Game is suspended, and ump no longer works for this league. A game not started is more important to him than one in the final inning. If game means anything to determine 1st place in the league then it must be completed, even if season must last one more day past normal. Otherwise, call it a tie for league standings purposes.