The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jun 11, 2004, 08:40am
Official Forum Member

Had plate in Dixie Boys game last night and pitcher was not allowing batter to get set before delivering the pitch. He was actually coming set before batter even entered the box then attempting to deliver as soon as batter stepped in.

After a warning, I started holding up my hand until the batter was set, then signaling to the pitcher he could deliver the pitch.

With a runner on 1st, left-handed pitcher came set, batter started to enter the box, I had my hand up and without even looking at the plate, pitcher made a legal move to 1st and caught runner off the bag. A run-down ensued and eventually a bad throw left the runner safe at 2nd.

Defensive coach then argued, runner should be sent back to 1st since I had my hand up and therefore 'Time' was called.

I refused his request stating I was not calling 'Time', just trying to allow the batter to come set and avoid a 'No pitch'. Now, if the run-down had been successful, I would not have heard a peep from this coach.

Thoughts from others on this?
Old Fri Jun 11, 2004, 08:58am
Official Forum Member

You WERE calling time - all rules codes. You halted play, and there is no such thing as "partial time."

Don't feel too bad - a lot of people get this wrong at first.
Old Fri Jun 11, 2004, 09:18am
Official Forum Member

Thx. I was afraid so. In the future, I will issue a warning for a 'quick pitch' and then start calling balks with runners or balls without. thx
Old Fri Jun 11, 2004, 09:21am
Official Forum Member

"Now, if the run-down had been successful, I would not have heard a peep from this coach."

No, you would have heard from the other coach!
Old Mon Jun 14, 2004, 12:37am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ecurebel
hand held up means that you had, time, what age was this? because if there is a balk in dixie youth i would call it everytime he did that, eventually he would get the message to slow down...

i don't know the dixie youth book all that great, but i know that if its older kids just call a balk everytime he quick pitches
Old Mon Jun 14, 2004, 10:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BayouUmp
Thx. I was afraid so. In the future, I will issue a warning for a 'quick pitch' and then start calling balks with runners or balls without. thx
A pitcher can not quick pitch when time is called and when your hand is up, time is called. If a pickoff is attempted while hand is up there, is no rundown. Stop the play, walk out onto the field toward the "rundown", wave both arms above your head and say "no play, no play, ball is dead". Be LOUD, don't let you partner call an out.