The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 08, 2004, 10:15pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to jumpmaster Send a message via MSN to jumpmaster Send a message via Yahoo to jumpmaster
Thumbs up

Just did my first dish with my new All-Star Helmet. I loved it. Only one problem - I felt like I could see everything and my zone seemed much bigger than usual. In the end this was good because it forced me to slow down and see the ball all the way in.

I highly recommend this product.

Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here - CPT John Parker, April 19, 1775, Lexington, Mass
Old Tue Jun 08, 2004, 10:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jumpmaster
Just did my first dish with my new All-Star Helmet. I loved it. Only one problem - I felt like I could see everything and my zone seemed much bigger than usual. In the end this was good because it forced me to slow down and see the ball all the way in.

I highly recommend this product.
Big zone is a problem?
Old Tue Jun 08, 2004, 10:45pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to jumpmaster Send a message via MSN to jumpmaster Send a message via Yahoo to jumpmaster
I have a reputation of a big zone, but consistent and fair. By my own admission, I had a 3 worm burners tonight and 3 pitches that were 3 inches off the outside corner. Too big for my blood...when coaches complain about strikes going their way, its a good indication that somethin' ain't right.

Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here - CPT John Parker, April 19, 1775, Lexington, Mass
Old Tue Jun 08, 2004, 10:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I have a reputation of a big zone, but consistent and fair. By my own admission, I had a 3 worm burners tonight and 3 pitches that were 3 inches off the outside corner. Too big for my blood...when coaches complain about strikes going their way, its a good indication that somethin' ain't right.
3 inches, in summer ball? That's just over one baseball width. Better be swinging in my games.
Old Wed Jun 09, 2004, 02:25am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by DG
Quote:
3 inches, in summer ball? That's just over one baseball width. Better be swinging in my games.
3 inches? Three inches is a strike, at ANY level.
Old Wed Jun 09, 2004, 07:09am
Official Forum Member

Three inches off the outside corner I can see but what about the inside corner?

How much do you give off the inside corner?

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
Quote:
Originally posted by DG
Quote:
3 inches? Three inches is a strike, at ANY level.
Well I am certainly wiser than this man. It is only too likely that neither of us has any knowledge to boast of; but he thinks that he knows something which he does not know, whereas I am quite conscious of my ignorance. At any rate it seems that I am wiser than he is to this small extent, that I do not think that I know what I do not know. ~Socrates
Old Wed Jun 09, 2004, 07:09am
Official Forum Member

3 inches? Three inches is a strike, at ANY level. [/B][/QUOTE]

So how far out are you guys going? My outside corner is, from the black, one baseball width.

Old Wed Jun 09, 2004, 07:17am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to wobster
Damn, I have a tight strike zone. I get compliments on it because I do not give as much as other umpires.

My zone is knees to pits with an inch or 2 on the outside, and not a thing on the inside. This is for almost all ages. 9-11, 12-13, 10-13 Town league. Maybe I should open it up.
Old Wed Jun 09, 2004, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to nickrego
High School:

(From the White)

1" on the inside.
One full ball on the outside (if pitcher is exhibiting control).
Bottom of the knee.
Mid-point between belt and top of shoulder.

As the age gets smaller, the zone gets bigger !

Nick
Old Wed Jun 09, 2004, 01:37pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ecurebel
top of letters to baseball, or baseball and a half below the knees and two baseballs on each corner for summer ball