The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 08, 2001, 03:58pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

There is a great article that has just been released. It is about the Science of Umpiring by Rich Fronheiser, my favorite author on eumpire. However, it is most annoying to read an article with constant interruptions by the editor. The editor inserts numerous comments into the text which break up the flow of the article. The editor inserts the comments and either disagrees or gives his blessing to each point that Rich tries to make. Why doesn't the editor write his own articles under his own name? If he wants to agree or disagree, do it in another article. Don't spoil our experience and train of thought with his comments.

I would not have mentioned it but the editor does this in other articles as well. In one about the FYC, it was obvious that the editor had more knowledge on the subject than the author. This begs the question. If the editor is so all knowing, why does eumpire have any authors at all? Why not fire the authors and let the editor do all of the writing?

Finally, the editor failed to do the job that he is supposed to do. That is, edit the article for spelling and grammar errors. Science is spelled wrong in the title. If he had been doing his job instead of the author's job maybe this would not have happened.

BTW, Rich, I agree with you in the article and not the editor, if it means anything.

Jake
Old Mon Jan 08, 2001, 04:49pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jim Porter Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Porter
Regarding Rich's article -

There are four "Editor's Notes," in the piece. The first is merely informational. The second and third notes both agree with Rich's observations. The final note appears at the end of the piece and is, once again, informational. So, frankly Jake, I'm not quite sure how anyone can agree with Rich and not with Carl. I don't see any disagreement in the Editor's Notes.

Furthermore, Rich himself provides two, "Author's Notes." Although the Editor's Notes appear in italics and the Author's Notes do not, I can see how a reader could easily mistake one for the other.

It all comes down to personal tastes. While you may not appreciate the contributions of the editor to the articles on eUmpire.com, some readers do. Even if you absolutely hated the Editor's Notes, you could simply skim past them, since they are in italics.

Our editor has an almost legendary background, tremendous experience, and knowledge up the wazoo. While you may not agree with everything or anything he says, it always wise to listen to him. Any open-minded student of umpiring would agree.

Keep adding those Editor's Notes Carl - - even to my articles. Two minds are always better than one - especially when one of those minds possesses the knowledge that yours does.

Thank you, Jake, for your thoughts. They are important to all of us at eUmpire.com. We will continue to strive to bring the best, lastest, and most reliable information to you. We will never shy away from controversy, but, instead, we will bring you all sides of the debate in order to examine each topic thoroughly.

[Edited by Jim Porter on Jan 8th, 2001 at 03:53 PM]
Old Mon Jan 08, 2001, 05:15pm

Send a message via AIM to Bradley Batt
Jake,

Thanks for your comments - we will take them into consideration.

- Brad