The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jun 04, 2004, 02:57pm
Official Forum Member

Babe Ruth Seniors game and I am in the B position with a runner on 1st and one out. Grounder to F6, he bobbles the ball and seeing that he has no play at second, fires to F3 for an out. R1 thinking there would be a play at second slides and is safe.

Now I'm in C with the runner at second, pitcher comes to the set position and then steps off and starts walking towards third base. I turn wondering what F1 is doing when I see R1 walking just past F6 looking down at the ground. Coaches & fans are yelling at R1 to run but he is not listening. F1 tags him for the 3rd.

Later, I asked F1's first base coach what was up with his runner and the coach said the player is refusing to talk about it. I'm thinking....major brain fart.

Michael

Old Fri Jun 04, 2004, 03:32pm
Official Forum Member

I had one of those last month. R1 stealing second, pitch is in the dirt. No throw by the catcher, he just throws it back to the pitcher. R1 must have thought the ball was fould or something, because all of a sudden he is jogging back to first base. He was eventually tagged out. First base coach really gave him a good stare on his way back to the dugout.
Old Fri Jun 04, 2004, 03:41pm
Official Forum Member

I had one this year, also similar. R1 steals 2B, B1 swings, catcher does not throw. When R1 stands up from his slide SS tells him foul ball. He trots back toward 1B. Everybody, on both sides is hollering, one side at the runner, the other side at the fielders. He makes it 1B with no throw and no tag. One side is wanting an out, for running backwards, the other side is wanting him to be awarded 2B. I ain't never seen this before and figure, no harm no foul, he can steal it again if he wants to. He's not making a mockery of the game, he is just confused, and was confused by believing something a defensive player said (bad idea).
Old Mon Jun 07, 2004, 04:30am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BoomerSooner
Quote:
Originally posted by DG
I had one this year, also similar. R1 steals 2B, B1 swings, catcher does not throw. When R1 stands up from his slide SS tells him foul ball. He trots back toward 1B. Everybody, on both sides is hollering, one side at the runner, the other side at the fielders. He makes it 1B with no throw and no tag. One side is wanting an out, for running backwards, the other side is wanting him to be awarded 2B. I ain't never seen this before and figure, no harm no foul, he can steal it again if he wants to. He's not making a mockery of the game, he is just confused, and was confused by believing something a defensive player said (bad idea).
This actually sounds like a prime case of verbal obstruction and a good enough reason to award 2nd to the runner especially if he is put out on the play.
Old Mon Jun 07, 2004, 07:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BoomerSooner
Quote:
Originally posted by DG
This actually sounds like a prime case of verbal obstruction and a good enough reason to award 2nd to the runner especially if he is put out on the play.
Sorry your playing OBR rules here, if the player believes the fielder, he is labeled "gullible", thats all.
Old Tue Jun 08, 2004, 01:17am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BoomerSooner
Good catch, I'll give myself a good kick in the head.