The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jun 03, 2004, 07:22am
Official Forum Member

Got to watch myself in my first televised game last night. Boy, does that give you a different perspective when you actually see yourself in action! I was working with a partner who had a strange mechanic (at least I've never done it before). 2 man mechanics. I had the plate.

With a runner on first my partner was in position B as normal. On any potential double play ball on the shortstop side, he would run toward 1st base. He would then call the routine out at 2nd base and be quite close to first base for the second half of the call.

I've always stayed closer to the B posistion and tend to "hedge" toward second, leaving me further away for that 2nd half of the d.p. call. Is this something I've been doing wrong? His mechanics seemed strong, and maybe this is just something I missed when studying my own mechanics.

Where is the proper place to go on a double play from the B position?
Old Thu Jun 03, 2004, 07:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by blueump
Where is the proper place to go on a double play from the B position?
A couple of steps forward, then turn and set (a standing set) for the play at second. A couple of steps toward the line while the throw is in the air and turn and set for the play at first.
Old Thu Jun 03, 2004, 02:46pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to nickrego
The couple of steps forward is good, but there never seems to be time to take a couple of steps towards the line for the play at 1st.

Most of the time the (varsity) play happens so fast that following the throw to 1st is what turns me. If I were to take the time to step, I would not be set for the call. I prefer to be set, rather than closer when a choice has to be made.

Nick