The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jun 02, 2004, 05:43pm
Official Forum Member

Last night I called a youth softball game. One of the girls seemed to have a little of a problem. So she is up to bat, pitch comes in, catcher moves and blocks my view of the end of the pitch. From what I saw of it, it was a strike. I call strike, batter looks back and says "Are you serious, thats insane." I dedide to let it go. She ends up getting a walk.

Next time she is up, first pitch is about halfway up the torso. I call the pitch a strike. Batter moans, and takes her arm and signals to the height of the pitch. Right after this pitch, we realized the game was over because of the slaughter rule. Now I would have issued a warning to the batter if the game had continued. Did I do the right thing?
Old Wed Jun 02, 2004, 07:55pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to jumpmaster Send a message via MSN to jumpmaster Send a message via Yahoo to jumpmaster
Thumbs down dump her

dump after the first comment. UNLESS - she is old enough to understand the FYC.

Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here - CPT John Parker, April 19, 1775, Lexington, Mass
Old Wed Jun 02, 2004, 08:32pm
Official Forum Member

I do ASA softball; only recently started doing baseball ("drafted" to do it). Those girls are ball players and should be handled the same as any other ball player. That matter should have been handled on the first comment without question - with a warning and a toss on the 2nd comment.
Old Wed Jun 02, 2004, 08:59pm
Official Forum Member

Re: dump her

Quote:
Originally posted by jumpmaster
dump after the first comment. UNLESS - she is old enough to understand the FYC.
The FYC?
Old Wed Jun 02, 2004, 09:33pm
Official Forum Member

FYC = F* You Call.
Old Wed Jun 02, 2004, 11:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by LDUB
Last night I called a youth softball game. One of the girls seemed to have a little of a problem. So she is up to bat, pitch comes in, catcher moves and blocks my view of the end of the pitch. From what I saw of it, it was a strike. I call strike, batter looks back and says "Are you serious, thats insane." I dedide to let it go. She ends up getting a walk.

Next time she is up, first pitch is about halfway up the torso. I call the pitch a strike. Batter moans, and takes her arm and signals to the height of the pitch. Right after this pitch, we realized the game was over because of the slaughter rule. Now I would have issued a warning to the batter if the game had continued. Did I do the right thing?
I would consider this a comment worthy of calm discussion with the batter, to wit, complaining about a called strike is not permitted. Afterwards, I might decide that the strike zone is temporarily BIG and she best be swinging. She will either hit the ball, or get the message.

Next time up, she "draws a line" at the height of the pitch, as she sees it. This, I would ignore, except that any pitch across that line is a strike while this batter is at bat, just like I would call a line drawn in the sand a strike. I am not a "line drawn in the sand ejector" so I would not eject for anything I have read here.

Now if she said "you are insane", that's immediate.
Old Thu Jun 03, 2004, 12:00am
Official Forum Member

The number of ways to handle this will differ on how many people see it. In other words, different people have different temperaments, and will each handle it a bit differently, unless a stated procedure or mechanic has been communicated to the umpires. In this situation, I would have called time immediately, and called the batter's coach over to have a discussion with both of them. Personally, I like to have coaches involved with conversations where players are being addressed for such things, just so that there is no misunderstanding about where I stand on it. If she had said that I was insane, I would have handled it the same way, only I would have ejected her quietly in my conversation with the coach.

I'm sure other people would handle it differently.
Old Thu Jun 03, 2004, 12:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by UmpireBob
The number of ways to handle this will differ on how many people see it. In other words, different people have different temperaments, and will each handle it a bit differently, unless a stated procedure or mechanic has been communicated to the umpires. In this situation, I would have called time immediately, and called the batter's coach over to have a discussion with both of them. Personally, I like to have coaches involved with conversations where players are being addressed for such things, just so that there is no misunderstanding about where I stand on it. If she had said that I was insane, I would have handled it the same way, only I would have ejected her quietly in my conversation with the coach.

I'm sure other people would handle it differently.
Absolutely, different temperaments get different results. IMO there is no need to call time, and no need to have the batter's coach in a 3 way discussion. I will discuss with the player and as far as the player and I are concerned there will be no misundertanding. The age of the player is not evident from the post, but it don't matter, we will come to an understanding. If coach wants to come out to find out what is going on I will explain.

I don't have any problems explaining things to players, regardless of age.
Old Thu Jun 03, 2004, 01:28am
Official Forum Member

Ohh for sure I would have ejected her if she had called me insane, but she was just commenting on a call so I let it go. Me personally, I don't get fired up very easily, therefore I will wait longer than some to eject.

But for those who eject for a line in the sand, would you also eject for a player showing the height of their pitch with their arm?
Old Thu Jun 03, 2004, 07:23am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to wobster
myself, I would have dumped her, but I haven't had to eject a single person in 4 years of plate and 2 years of pitching machine.

Here is a pretty simple question......when you eject a batter does that count as an out as well? I don't have a rule book with me and I am curious since I have not had to call it.
Old Thu Jun 03, 2004, 07:31am
Official Forum Member

Personally, I would have had pretty think skin in this situation. Her original comment was based on a strike that you admit calling without actually seeing it. Maybe she had a legitimate argument.

If a ball comes in is blocked out by the catcher, I always give the benefit of the doubt to the batter. The catcher may moan and groan, but if you inform them that it would have been a strike if they hadn't popped up, they usually stay put.

If you have frequent "block outs" by the catcher, then a stance change may be in order.
Old Thu Jun 03, 2004, 07:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by wobster
Here is a pretty simple question......when you eject a batter does that count as an out as well? I don't have a rule book with me and I am curious since I have not had to call it.
Of course not.

Old Thu Jun 03, 2004, 10:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:
Of course not.

What if they only have nine players at the game, and there are no available subs?
Old Thu Jun 03, 2004, 10:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by LDUB
Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:
Of course not.

What if they only have nine players at the game, and there are no available subs?
Then apply the rules that apply to having fewer than 9 players (the specific ruling depends on the code and perhaps local rules).

Old Thu Jun 03, 2004, 11:00am
Official Forum Member

"That's insane" - warning (and probably a big zone the rest of the atbat). 2nd comment - buh-bye.

"YOU'RE insane" - buh-bye.