The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jun 02, 2004, 07:19am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to jumpmaster Send a message via MSN to jumpmaster Send a message via Yahoo to jumpmaster
Lightbulb

14-15 babe ruth

My partner learned a very interesting thing last night while working the dish. Called strike 1 - he stepped back, looked to the 1B dugout, and signaled strike. Batter wheels around holds his hands up and looks at him and says did you call that a strike? "Yes I did".

3 pitches later, called strike 3, same mechanic. He doesn't see the batter wheel on him holding his hands up like "how can you call that a strike", then throw the bat at the dugout.

Good lesson learned on why not to turn your head on your strike mechanic.

Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here - CPT John Parker, April 19, 1775, Lexington, Mass
Old Wed Jun 02, 2004, 08:29am
Official Forum Member

was this with a separated mechanic? (I know there's a term for this, can't rem it at the moment), ie, verbalized "strike", then signaled separately? If so, I'm not sure how he could have missed the batter's reaction.
Old Wed Jun 02, 2004, 10:29am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to jumpmaster Send a message via MSN to jumpmaster Send a message via Yahoo to jumpmaster
the term is bifurcate. I think I picked that up from Papa C...anyway, yes, this was verbalized, then stood up and signaled.

I asked him why he didn't toss the kid for this and he said he didn't see it - he was looking at the first base dugout.

Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here - CPT John Parker, April 19, 1775, Lexington, Mass