The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 01, 2004, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

I had an interesting question posed to me at the ballpark this weekend and I didn't know how to answer it, so I figured somebody here could help...
The situation is this: Batter-runner is walked and goes to first base and jogs through the base, touching it and taking more steps down the line. Can a play be made on this runner? What is the difference (if any) between this situation and an infield single where the batter-runner runs through the base, turns and heads back to first? Can a play only be made on this infield single batter runner if he turns left (towards second base)? Thanks for your help.
Old Tue Jun 01, 2004, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member

In Fed, a runner who overruns (or overwalks) 1B on a walk is liable to be put out.

It's not as clear in OBR. The BRD quotes a MLB umpire as saying that the BR is liable to be put out unless there was some reason for him to run hard to 1B. I guess this might mean a pitch getting away from the catcher on ball 4 or something. Or maybe he thinks ball 4 was strike 3 uncaught and runs hard.

Don't have my book with me, so I'm not sure about NCAA. I think the BR can overrun safely on a walk.

Be sure you don't take "turns left" literally. After overrunning 1B, the BR can turn left without making himself liable to be put out, as long as he doesn't make some sort of aggressive move toward 2B.
Old Tue Jun 01, 2004, 01:50pm
Official Forum Member

I'll take a cut at this one:

a BR is out if, after reaching 1B, fails to "return at once to 1B after overrunning or oversliding that base" and is tagged (if going to 2B) or base is tagged (BR goes toward dugout or position). This could be after a walk or a single. Ball is live in either case.

The "has to turn to the foul line-side" is a baseball myth, IIRC. Nothing says he cant turn to the fair side, as long as he proceeds back to 1B.

I think most umps judge this as, only if the BR makes a clear attempt to abandon 1B and advance to 2B and is tagged, will it be called. But I could be wrong.
Old Tue Jun 01, 2004, 01:53pm
Official Forum Member

thanks, grey, I didnt know that about potential liability on overrunning a walk. Good info!
Old Tue Jun 01, 2004, 01:59pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to nickrego
Greymule,

I donÂ’t have my FED rule book with me, so if you could post the rule you are referring to, it would be helpful. Until you either post the rule quote, or I get home and find it myself, this is how I would call it;

The batter is protected in your situation. The rules do not explicitly exclude a base on balls (as I remember them). It would be perfectly legal for a batter, say with a runner on 3rd, to hustle hard down the line and overrunning 1st (in a straight line) as if he were going to attempt 2nd base to see if he can draw a throw.

It takes more than just a left turn to remove the batter’s protection to overrun 1st base. The batter has to demonstrate to the umpire that an attempt or fake attempt was made to 2nd base. If a batter overruns 1st straight down the line, and then makes a tight left turn and returns directly back to 1st base, you have nothing. The batter needs to make a definite ‘change in direction towards 2nd base’ to lose their protection.

Nick
Old Tue Jun 01, 2004, 01:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by greymule

It's not as clear in OBR. The BRD quotes a MLB umpire as saying that the BR is liable to be put out unless there was some reason for him to run hard to 1B. I guess this might mean a pitch getting away from the catcher on ball 4 or something. Or maybe he thinks ball 4 was strike 3 uncaught and runs hard.

MLBUM says you CAN overrun on a walk.

Old Tue Jun 01, 2004, 02:15pm
Official Forum Member

nickrego: Don't have my Fed book with me, but it does specifically state that the BR is liable to be put out if he overruns on a walk.

Rich: Now that you mention it, I do remember that we got an answer beyond the opinion in the 2002 BRD. Yes, the BR can overrun 1B on a walk in OBR. I have the J/R, the PBUC, and the BRD. Where do I get the MLBUM?
Old Wed Jun 02, 2004, 06:14am
Official Forum Member

Batter Walks
FED 8-2-6 A batter-runner who reaches 1st base safely then overruns or overslides may immediately return without liability of being put out provided he does not attempt or feint an advance to 2nd. A player who is awarded 1st base on a base on balls does not have this right. (my emphasis)

OBR 7.08 (c) EXCEPTION A batter runner cannot be tagged out after overrunning or oversliding 1st base if he returns immediately to the base.

There is no reference made in OBR as there is in FED to a batter runner who walks so you cannot impose any penalty. However, the J/R states that if a batter runner attains 1st base on a base on balls and steps off on the home plate side of 1st, the batter runner can be tagged out (2004 BRD). I would not want to call that one!

Batter Runner Gets a Hit
Under all codes, the batter runner is liable to be put out if he feints an attempt to 2nd base.You (the umpire) are the judge of the attempt, not the coaches. If you determine that a valid attempt or feint was made then the batter runner can be put out via a tag play. The key to remember is that it is the umpire is the sole judge here!
Old Wed Jun 02, 2004, 10:27pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to nickrego
Unhappy

Thanks ozzy6900.

If that had come up during the HS season, I would have kicked it !

Good call greymule.

Nick
Old Wed Jun 02, 2004, 10:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ozzy6900
Batter Walks
FED 8-2-6 A batter-runner who reaches 1st base safely then overruns or overslides may immediately return without liability of being put out provided he does not attempt or feint an advance to 2nd. A player who is awarded 1st base on a base on balls does not have this right. (my emphasis)

OBR 7.08 (c) EXCEPTION A batter runner cannot be tagged out after overrunning or oversliding 1st base if he returns immediately to the base.

There is no reference made in OBR as there is in FED to a batter runner who walks so you cannot impose any penalty. However, the J/R states that if a batter runner attains 1st base on a base on balls and steps off on the home plate side of 1st, the batter runner can be tagged out (2004 BRD). I would not want to call that one!

Batter Runner Gets a Hit
Under all codes, the batter runner is liable to be put out if he feints an attempt to 2nd base.You (the umpire) are the judge of the attempt, not the coaches. If you determine that a valid attempt or feint was made then the batter runner can be put out via a tag play. The key to remember is that it is the umpire is the sole judge here!
Whether the runner came directly back to 1B, or made any attempt to advance is not a hard decision. Especially compared to many other decisions that come up during a game.