The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun May 23, 2004, 12:44pm

Talking

The Varsity assistant hits me with this one at the exchange of line up cards.

He was playing the day before at a field with a collapsible outfield (safety) fence. Bases were loaded and the ball is hit deep - both the Center and Right fielders converge in the alley. As they go back, the Center fielder makes the catch against the fence which is knocked down by the Right fielder as they collide. Both land on the fence (flat to the ground). The ball was caught and held, but the fielder that caught it did not knock the fence down, his teammate did. When they hit, both landed out of play.

Ever seen this???

Ruling???
Old Sun May 23, 2004, 01:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by WindyCityBlue
The Varsity assistant hits me with this one at the exchange of line up cards.

He was playing the day before at a field with a collapsible outfield (safety) fence. Bases were loaded and the ball is hit deep - both the Center and Right fielders converge in the alley. As they go back, the Center fielder makes the catch against the fence which is knocked down by the Right fielder as they collide. Both land on the fence (flat to the ground). The ball was caught and held, but the fielder that caught it did not knock the fence down, his teammate did. When they hit, both landed out of play.

Ever seen this???

Ruling???
Ever seen this - no.

Ruling - Since the player who caught the ball ended up out of play, off his feet, I would rule the same way as a ball that was caught where a more substantial fence exists and the player who caught the ball ended up out of play, off his feet. In FED (assuming FED since the question was asked by Varsity assistant), that would be an out and award each runner one base, unless the catch was third out.
Old Mon May 31, 2004, 04:02am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ecurebel
we have this type of ruling in our intramural softball here at ecu. if i had seen the play i would have ruled that the ball was caught but the runners could only advance a single base since the ball was caught in fair territory then moved into foul territory. by ruling this way both coaches could be satisfied that the ball was a well hit ball that was caught for an out, and the baserunners do get to advance but only a single base since the ball became dead..

if this is the correct ruling that is one thing, but i would exscape some argument by coaches by ruling like this since one coach gets and out, and the other coach moves one base per runner. it seems to be the only way to provide a happy environment for both..
Old Mon May 31, 2004, 03:17pm
Official Forum Member

if i had seen the play i would have ruled that the ball was caught but the runners could only advance a single base since the ball was caught in fair territory then moved into foul territory. by ruling this way both coaches could be satisfied that the ball was a well hit ball that was caught for an out, and the baserunners do get to advance but only a single base since the ball became dead..

Ecurebel,

I am assuming you ment moved into dead ball territory. If the players landed in foul territory with less than two outs, the runners could advance at risk legally after retouching their bases.

Michael
Old Mon May 31, 2004, 05:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MichaelVA2000
if i had seen the play i would have ruled that the ball was caught but the runners could only advance a single base since the ball was caught in fair territory then moved into foul territory. by ruling this way both coaches could be satisfied that the ball was a well hit ball that was caught for an out, and the baserunners do get to advance but only a single base since the ball became dead..

Ecurebel,

I am assuming you ment moved into dead ball territory. If the players landed in foul territory with less than two outs, the runners could advance at risk legally after retouching their bases.

Michael
In FED if you step with both feet, without falling, into dead ball territory after catching a ball, fair or foul, the ball is dead. Since the poster said a Varsity coach asked the question, one could assume FED. But no matter, this fielder fell into dead ball area after the catch, and FED or OBR the ball is dead wehn you fall into dead ball area.