The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 20, 2004, 08:57am
Official Forum Member

Hello everyone, I am a basketball person looking for information on baseball rules. Rec. league in question is 13-15u played under Babe Ruth rules.

1) Can the coach be on the field between innings while the pitcher is warming up? If so would you consider this a "trip"?

2) Should it be considered a trip anytime a coach request time out and talks to one of his players, even if he does not cross on to the playing field?

3) When the coach completes his trip to the mound and crosses the foul line and wants to return to tell his pitcher something else, would you allow this? Would you consider it another trip?

Thanks in advance for your help with these questions.
Old Thu May 20, 2004, 10:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BBCoach
Hello everyone, I am a basketball person looking for information on baseball rules. Rec. league in question is 13-15u played under Babe Ruth rules.

1) Can the coach be on the field between innings while the pitcher is warming up? If so would you consider this a "trip"?
No, as long as he does not hold up the game.

[/QUOTE]2) Should it be considered a trip anytime a coach request time out and talks to one of his players, even if he does not cross on to the playing field?[/B][/QUOTE]
Anything above LL, he better cross into the field, preferably to the mound - but yes, it is a trip.

[/QUOTE]3) When the coach completes his trip to the mound and crosses the foul line and wants to return to tell his pitcher something else, would you allow this? Would you consider it another trip?[/B][/QUOTE]
First of all, you are referring to a FED (high school) rule. When the coach crosses the foul line, he has to keep going and cannot return. In OBR (Major League Rules), when the coach leaves the dirt area of the mound, he must keep going and is not allowed to return to the pitcher or speak to any other player. He has to go to the dugout or coach's box. - Now do you see why I stated earlier that above LL, he better get on the field? -

Old Thu May 20, 2004, 10:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ozzy6900
First of all, you are referring to a FED (high school) rule. When the coach crosses the foul line, he has to keep going and cannot return.
Reference please (for the "cannot return" part).

I think he can return, but it's another visit.
Old Thu May 20, 2004, 10:49am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:
Originally posted by ozzy6900
First of all, you are referring to a FED (high school) rule. When the coach crosses the foul line, he has to keep going and cannot return.
Reference please (for the "cannot return" part).

I think he can return, but it's another visit.
Like Bob said (or implied, rather), there is no restriction in FED on a coach visiting a pitcher multiple times during the same at-bat, as there is in OBR. A coach could make his three free visits during the same at bat and not remove the pitcher or get ejected in a FED game.

--Rich

[Edited by Rich Fronheiser on May 20th, 2004 at 11:57 AM]
Old Thu May 20, 2004, 01:42pm
Official Forum Member

With regards to 1) Can the coach be on the field between innings while the pitcher is warming up? If so would you consider this a "trip"?

I'm in belief there is no "between innings". A new inning or 1/2 inning begins once the offensive teams makes the third out.

In tournament or playoff games I would consider a trip to the mound when a coach is between the lines and talks (has a conversation with) the pitcher when he is supposed to be warming up. I see this most often when either the 1st or 3rd base coach heads across the field to the dugout, stops and talks with the pitcher. Now if all the coach does is, pick up the ball, tosses it to him, slaps him on the rear and says, go get'em - no, no mound visit. But a conversation, yes, that's a mound visit.

During league play I generally advise the coach of their action just to let them know, so if they are in a tournament or playoffs they are aware.

Old Thu May 20, 2004, 02:35pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by brumey1107
With regards to 1) Can the coach be on the field between innings while the pitcher is warming up? If so would you consider this a "trip"?

I'm in belief there is no "between innings". A new inning or 1/2 inning begins once the offensive teams makes the third out.

In tournament or playoff games I would consider a trip to the mound when a coach is between the lines and talks (has a conversation with) the pitcher when he is supposed to be warming up. I see this most often when either the 1st or 3rd base coach heads across the field to the dugout, stops and talks with the pitcher. Now if all the coach does is, pick up the ball, tosses it to him, slaps him on the rear and says, go get'em - no, no mound visit. But a conversation, yes, that's a mound visit.

During league play I generally advise the coach of their action just to let them know, so if they are in a tournament or playoffs they are aware.

OOO alert. I don't care what happens as long as those five pitches are taken without delay and the coach is in the dugout when we're ready to go. Why cause trouble?
Old Thu May 20, 2004, 02:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by brumey1107

Has anyone ever seen this in a case book?
Old Thu May 20, 2004, 09:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BBCoach

2) Should it be considered a trip anytime a coach request time out and talks to one of his players, even if he does not cross on to the playing field?

3) When the coach completes his trip to the mound and crosses the foul line and wants to return to tell his pitcher something else, would you allow this? Would you consider it another trip?

Thanks in advance for your help with these questions.
Babe Ruth Rules:
1) Yes on the coach being on the field, and no trip, as long as the pitcher gets his warmups in alloted time with no delay. This generally happens when a coach, who was in the 3B or 1B box, stops near the mound as the pitcher comes out to speak to him. A manager who was in the dugout is not coming out to talk to the pitcher between innings. I have this one in writing from Babe Ruth Baseball, from my coaching days.
2) No. But if the player you talked to (ie the catcher) goes to the mound, after you talk to him, it's a trip.
3) I would not allow two trips to be counted on the same timeout. Once the coach concludes his business at the mound and starts for the dugout I am going to make sure he makes it there regardless of foul line. If he is walking around the infield while pitcher warms up talking to infielders that will be ok, but once he starts what looks to me like a direct path walk to the dugout, that's where he is going.
Old Fri May 21, 2004, 07:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by LDUB

Has anyone ever seen this in a case book?
I have.

(I suppose you're going to ask for a reference -- 3.4.1G)