The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 19, 2004, 05:20pm
Official Forum Member

My son has been playing in a Babe Ruth League this that goes by yhe OBR with a few minor exceptions.

I have seen 2 calls that have me wondering about the advancement of runners on a ball thay goes out of play.

The first was when the pitcher disenged from the pitching plate, (becoming an infielder), and threw the ball out of play on a pick off attempt. The PU awarded the runner only second base since he was " heading back to 1B to avoid the pick off". Therefore, he gets the base he was going to plus one.

The second was a ball that went under a fence in right filed with a runnner at 2B. That runner was awarded only 3B because he was going back to tag up. Same explanation as before. The PU did award the batter-runner 2B.

Everywhere I have looked calls for 2 bases to be awarded to the runners with only their location at the time of of the throw being used to determine the last base legal occupied/touched.

Any help would be appreciated.

Old Wed May 19, 2004, 05:43pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by CVLLBlue
My son has been playing in a Babe Ruth League this that goes by yhe OBR with a few minor exceptions.

I have seen 2 calls that have me wondering about the advancement of runners on a ball thay goes out of play.

The first was when the pitcher disenged from the pitching plate, (becoming an infielder), and threw the ball out of play on a pick off attempt. The PU awarded the runner only second base since he was " heading back to 1B to avoid the pick off". Therefore, he gets the base he was going to plus one.

The second was a ball that went under a fence in right filed with a runnner at 2B. That runner was awarded only 3B because he was going back to tag up. Same explanation as before. The PU did award the batter-runner 2B.

Everywhere I have looked calls for 2 bases to be awarded to the runners with only their location at the time of of the throw being used to determine the last base legal occupied/touched.

Any help would be appreciated.

Easy explanation, but it involves the use of the words umpire and moron.
Old Wed May 19, 2004, 06:55pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks. I've umpired in LL for 7 years before joining this league, (my son's wish). They will not let me as a parent do any games within his division as PU or BU so it gets a little frustrating to watch some of the calls and not be able to talk to them about their interpretations.
Old Wed May 19, 2004, 08:31pm
Official Forum Member

I wish that that infernal phrase "one plus one" would disappear from everyone's consciousness forever.